Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:15:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me a reason why I should use online wallet.  (Read 419 times)
pragna

Activity: 1582
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 03:29:21 PM

I was having an argument with one guy from the internet. He uses online wallet instead of an offline. I tell him that bitcoin loses its point if you use an online wallet. He's also trying to convince me to use it too because it's more simple than an offline. I doubt. Anyway, I want one, only one reason, that online wallets are better than the offline ones.

The fact that millions of people use blockchain.com pisses me off. I don't know if the majority of users choose online, but they are many for sure.

I always use both online and offline wallet because every time i can check my wallet balance after sending or receiving my portfolio with online wallet. And if you say for hackers!! they are in everywhere so i have to careful always to secure my wallet.

If i go for big amount then i use offline wallet also for more security and i think we can use both the wallet so that we can give more security about our assets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 03:34:01 PM

It depends on your level of understanding of the different type of wallets. Generally I use to advice newbie that are yet to fully understand how crypto wallet works to use web based online wallet. This is because in case they forget their login details, they can easily recover it back but when they are making use of DEX wallets, they may lose their coin if they don't know the seed phrase. Just like your friend have said, it is easy to use and you can get support when something goes wrong with your wallet
glowing10

Activity: 812
Merit: 142

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 03:34:14 PM

Argument is not the solution just say him these are the advantages and disadvantages of having online and offline wallet. If he can understand good for him else experience will teach him which may not be the easy way and you wanted to avoid this so told him about having offline wallet. To limited extent, you can keep it in web wallet just like you use frequently to make payments, for gambling or if you are a trader then require it in online wallet.
Twinkledoe

Activity: 1904
Merit: 138

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 03:40:25 PM

Argument is not the solution just say him these are the advantages and disadvantages of having online and offline wallet. If he can understand good for him else experience will teach him which may not be the easy way and you wanted to avoid this so told him about having offline wallet. To limited extent, you can keep it in web wallet just like you use frequently to make payments, for gambling or if you are a trader then require it in online wallet.

Exactly! You can't convince a person if he doesn't want to. Just enumerate the pros and cons and up to him what will his actions be. At least you didn't fail to tell him about your side. Sooner or later, he will realized about your advice. So be patient with users who want to do it on their way.
target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 04:28:01 PM

Exactly! You can't convince a person if he doesn't want to. Just enumerate the pros and cons and up to him what will his actions be. At least you didn't fail to tell him about your side. Sooner or later, he will realized about your advice. So be patient with users who want to do it on their way.

Its normal for a person to just practice what they only know that seem right in their perspective. If he sees its more convenient to use online than synchronizing a bitcoin core wallet for hours I guess it's his view about it.

To be honest I rarely use the bitcoincore wallet I have in my ubuntu, its just that it has to sync for hours before I can make transactions. This is why I move some funds to an electrum wallet which I don't have to wait for hours. Having big funds on online wallet isn't a good practice though.

Inkdatar

Activity: 1582
Merit: 523

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 05:45:56 PM

It depends on your level of understanding of the different type of wallets. Generally I use to advice newbie that are yet to fully understand how crypto wallet works to use web based online wallet. This is because in case they forget their login details, they can easily recover it back but when they are making use of DEX wallets, they may lose their coin if they don't know the seed phrase. Just like your friend have said, it is easy to use and you can get support when something goes wrong with your wallet

This is true it depends on someone's understanding and knowledge of the benefits of having an online wallet. Just reiterate to the person the good usage of offline than online wallet as to why it is better than the person's current use. That could help the person indeed on giving advice on how the crypto wallet works, and how the risks could be when using an online wallet. Although, I also use also online wallet but for storing small funds of crypto only.
jpnl0006

Activity: 480
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 05:55:26 PM

i just feel the online wallet is way easier, i understand it may not entirely be safe and secure to use it since people actually fall easily for phishing sites and all of those other insecuriies but i just feel the ease associated with it and then i use it with care for security reasons.
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
July 14, 2020, 07:15:43 PM

I have never owned an offline wallet before, but I know the dangers involved in storing your assets in an online wallet, your whole coins are controlled by the exchange, the exchange can steal your coins and claim it is a hacked job pretty ugly. I would advice anyone who wishes to have digital assets to use an offline wallet over an online wallet. I don't have any tangible reason to give you why online wallet is better than offline wallets.

You have never used an offline wallet but cannot give any reasons to use an online wallet, yet that's what you use all the time? I'm confused Huh

The only reason why people might be willing to use a centralized online wallet is the lack of knowledge to set up and run their own desktop or hardware wallet, and the accessibility. There are people who don't cary around any electronics with them and might want to log in and send funds from work, school and so on.

Some people get lured by referral bonuses and such but that's really not worth it.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: