Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:54:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Grayscale: Net Assets Under Management, $5.7 billion  (Read 210 times)
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1498

View Profile
August 11, 2020, 05:50:21 AM

Just asking to the community as I am not able to find the relevant information.

I am not sure if Greyscale deals into physical bitcoin. Their funds are just linked to the price of its underlying assets. Am I correct?

If the above is true, then all these figures don't make any sense because these are not flowing into the market. Not really helping in increasing market liquidity.

Can someone shed more light on it? I may be wrong!

Didn't dig much into it, but the way I understand it, Grayscale does actually buy and hold bitcoin(they've been buying a crap ton of mined bitcoin in the past few months), but people don't buy actual bitcoin through their bitcoin trust(GBTC).

Thanks for the information! In that case, it works like an ETF (Exchange traded fund) where the custodian buys bitcoin from the market and sells to the market in form of shares based on the value of the underlying asset. Even though the bitcoins are getting centralized and getting locked under a single location, but it still provides liquidity to the market. So the market is getting benefited by the actions of Greyscale. So if their numbers are increasing, it is safe to assume that the value of their holding is also increase - so there's correlation!

I remember, back in 2017 everyone went crazy when CME first announced their bitcoin ETF. But later we found that CME doesn't deal in actual bitcoins but just plays based on its market price. But since greyscale is actually buying bitcoins from the market - may be considered as a bullish signal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
August 11, 2020, 09:36:05 PM

I remember, back in 2017 everyone went crazy when CME first announced their bitcoin ETF. But later we found that CME doesn't deal in actual bitcoins but just plays based on its market price. But since greyscale is actually buying bitcoins from the market - may be considered as a bullish signal.

Overall yes, but it's important to note that GBTC's premium over spot has dropped in half since February, from 30% to 15%. All the increased accumulation by Grayscale has occurred since then too. That tells me some institutions are accumulating GBTC in private placement, while also selling GBTC shares on the open market, and pocketing the difference. That's the only thing that would account for both the increasing assets under management and the significant drop in premium.

So it's not all bullish. A lot of it is just some large players arbitraging the market.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: