Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:32:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selfish full node for production?  (Read 180 times)
tiagocs (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 24

View Profile
August 11, 2020, 08:21:09 PM

I am planning about launching a bandwidth-intensive service. My application will be running on a server with a full node, and I was wondering if I could disable peers from downloading historical blocks from my node to optimize the bandwidth for my application. Actually, stopping them from downloading any block from my node would also work Tongue

I know many of you will not like this idea because it's selfish, but I already run a second, sometimes third, node. I am aware of the "blocksonly" mode, but it's not an option as I need a mempool.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JuleAdka

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 11, 2020, 09:38:42 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you change the node services for NETWORK_LIMITED(node don't send historical blocks), the peers will not request blocks to you. It's the only way that I know for you case.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2020, 11:49:36 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

You can set an amount of upload limit per day very low with -maxuploadtarget.

You can also reduce your maximum connection count, which will reduce traffic a lot.

You can also run a pruned node, which will cause you to not serve historical blocks at all.  This is the best.  I'm not sure if there is a flag to set node-limited while still actually having all the blocks... there should be. (perhaps setting pruning with an absurdly high pruning limit is sufficient).

There are plenty of nodes on the network serving historical blocks, it's not particularly selfish to not do so. 
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7403

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 12:27:17 PM
Merited by ranochigo (1)

The lazy way are :
1. Disable incoming connection
2. Run your node behind NAT (without configure port forwarding)

I wouldn't say it's selfish since there are some people who only use SPV wallet or Bitcoin Core, but are behind NAT without knowledge about port forwarding.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tiagocs (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 02:55:39 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I pulled together those that work best for. Here is how I am setting up my bitcoin.conf:

Code:
maxconnections=8 // no more than the 8 outbound connections my node will attempt
addnode=123.123.123.123 // my external node that I am sure it will always be up
addnode-122.122.122.122 // some node geographically close to me with an up-to-date block height (maybe repeat this step)

peerbloomfilters=0 // disable SPV clients from doing block filtering
blockfilterindex=0 // I think this is unnecessary because it's the default, but just making sure

Setting a low with -maxuploadtarget won't work for me because my application will broadcast many transactions (possibly new to the network), so it's very important that these broadcasts are done properly.
I also don't want to prune because I need the whole tx history.

@JuleAdka suggestion seems interesting. I took a look at BIP 159 (https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0159.mediawiki) which introduced NODE_NETWORK_LIMITED. Disabling NODE_NETWORK might be a good way to make sure nobody tries to download historical blocks from my node. Is there a way to disable this service flag? Searched through the options and didn't find a way to do it (bitcoind --help | grep "service").
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2020, 04:26:00 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

maxconnections=8 // no more than the 8 outbound connections my node will attempt
That will work but disabling p2p listening would be better (also not allow inbound but will be more secure).

Setting a low with -maxuploadtarget won't work for me because my application will broadcast many transactions (possibly new to the network), so it's very important that these broadcasts are done properly.
Yes it would. maxuploadtarget only restricts fetching historical blocks, it won't restrict anything about you sending transactions.

@JuleAdka suggestion seems interesting. I took a look at BIP 159 (https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0159.mediawiki) which introduced NODE_NETWORK_LIMITED. Disabling NODE_NETWORK might be a good way to make sure nobody tries to download historical blocks from my node. Is there a way to disable this service flag? Searched through the options and didn't find a way to do it (bitcoind --help | grep "service").
Yes, enable pruning. You can set the pruning limit so high that nothing actually gets pruned, but you'll still signal yourself as pruned to the network. An option should probably get added to do this more directly, you should open a feature request for a "-nodelimited=1" option.

What you signal is mostly moot however, if you're not even listening for connections from outside.
JuleAdka

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 08:12:13 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2020, 09:24:02 PM by JuleAdka

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I pulled together those that work best for. Here is how I am setting up my bitcoin.conf:

Code:
addnode=123.123.123.123 // my external node that I am sure it will always be up
addnode-122.122.122.122 // some node geographically close to me with an up-to-date block height (maybe repeat this step)

peerbloomfilters=0 // disable SPV clients from doing block filtering
blockfilterindex=0 // I think this is unnecessary because it's the default, but just making sure

I also don't want to prune because I need the whole tx history.

You have way to compile the code? If yes, you can open the "init.cpp" file, and change the line 878 (Core-0.20.0)
ServiceFlags nLocalServices = ServiceFlags(NODE_NETWORK | NODE_NETWORK_LIMITED);
to:
ServiceFlags nLocalServices = ServiceFlags(NODE_NETWORK_LIMITED);
But, you probably had seen in BIP159 that your node still will send the most recent blocks (the BIP says 288)

Edit: Newbie question, how to add code in the wiki's markdown?
tiagocs (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 09:32:39 PM

Yes it would. maxuploadtarget only restricts fetching historical blocks, it won't restrict anything about you sending transactions.
That's great, I think I will use it then.

Yes, enable pruning. You can set the pruning limit so high that nothing actually gets pruned, but you'll still signal yourself as pruned to the network. An option should probably get added to do this more directly, you should open a feature request for a "-nodelimited=1" option.
I am using txindex and according to the command line help, it's not compatible with prunning.

What you signal is mostly moot however, if you're not even listening for connections from outside.
Wouldn't my outbout 8 peers receive whatever I broadcast with sendrawtransaction? I will set maxconnections to 20 then, just to be safe.

Edit: Newbie question, how to add code in the wiki's markdown?
Is this what you mean? https://i.imgur.com/JoceIlN.png
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2020, 12:28:52 AM
Merited by ranochigo (1), ABCbits (1)

Wouldn't my outbout 8 peers receive whatever I broadcast with sendrawtransaction? I will set maxconnections to 20 then, just to be safe.
I mean it doesn't matter if you are node-limited or not.  Nodes that you connect out to will not request historical blocks from you unless they're weird and modified. This is done specifically to avoid burdening users on limited connections behind NAT with hundreds of gigabytes of block requests per month.  You only end up serving historical blocks if you accept incoming connections.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: