Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:34:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a mobile Tor browser?  (Read 554 times)
Bttzed03 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1147

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
August 23, 2020, 08:10:20 AM

I was searching for a lighter browser on playstore and one tor browser shows up. It has 5M+ downloads according to the info provided which tells me it's probably legit. I clicked install to see if it would ask more permission and true enough, it's asking for access to photos/media/files. I don't know but it kinda feel weird for a Tor browser to ask for that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2020, 09:30:17 AM
Merited by paxmao (2)

Brave is a privacy browser, but I don't think it supports a Tor window yet.
This site discusses Brave and 4 other browsers, one seems to include a VPN, and one is an official Tor browser for Android.

https://techlog360.com/best-android-browsers-for-different-needs/

friends1980
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
August 23, 2020, 10:21:19 AM

Yes there is. AFAIK, you can simply download Tor Browser from the Play Store (or any apk server). I haven't used it for a while, but if a remember well, you also have to download the proxy app Orbot in order to use Tor on your phone.

You can find the whole bunch here on apkpure: https://apkpure.com/search?q=tor+browser
Bttzed03 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1147

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
August 23, 2020, 10:31:39 AM

@Jet Cash thanks. I actually ended up downloading Firefox lite and using it right now (not good for browsing the forum though). The Tor browser I was talking about was also the one mentioned in the article.

I tried Brave before and yes, it doesn't support Tor yet.

@friends1980 I've seen Orbot pop up while I was searching. I was hoping I could see a stand alone app.
NotATether
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 6586

bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2020, 05:29:49 PM

It makes sense for a browser to need permission to read your files because it includes functionality to open them inside the browser. Like how you can open text files and media inside Firefox you can also do that inside Tor Browser.

I've seen Orbot pop up while I was searching. I was hoping I could see a stand alone app.

Orbot contains the standalone Tor program that connects you to the Tor network so it is equivalent to using the full Tor Browser, which is just a modified Firefox bundled with the standalone Tor program. I have once managed to route completely different browsers' traffic through the Tor network just by directing them to use the SOCKS5 proxy that is made when I ran standalone Tor.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
August 31, 2020, 11:16:14 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

@friends1980 I've seen Orbot pop up while I was searching. I was hoping I could see a stand alone app.
There would've been one if it was secure enough. However, for mobile, VPN through Orbot is the best way to go for now. A while ago you could've enabled even system-wide tor through OrWall, but it did have some issues so years later they moved on from it (or at least it looks like it.. I tried using OrWall but it's hard to work with it especially as it hasn't been updated in a long time) and sticked to their Orbot VPN as a main focus. You can read these two articles about it:

(2014) https://blog.torproject.org/mission-impossible-hardening-android-security-and-privacy
(2016) https://blog.torproject.org/mission-improbable-hardening-android-security-and-privacy

I would not trust Tor Browser on mobile at the same level I'd trust it on a Tails bootable USB though. I am also kinda paranoid when it comes to using it on my personal phone for the same purposes I use it on my PC. Mobile being a bit harder to work with than PC, there are probably way more flaws and it is much easier to link stuff you do through Tor on your mobile to your identity/fingerprint.
Iced

Activity: 627
Merit: 208

Belgian based crypto-enthusiast

View Profile
September 27, 2020, 08:34:42 AM

I would not trust Tor Browser on mobile at the same level I'd trust it on a Tails bootable USB though. I am also kinda paranoid when it comes to using it on my personal phone for the same purposes I use it on my PC. Mobile being a bit harder to work with than PC, there are probably way more flaws and it is much easier to link stuff you do through Tor on your mobile to your identity/fingerprint.

I follow your mindset and I must agree that there is a high probability that there are way more flaws on the mobile side. It all depends on what you are willing to do with it.

Please don't do shady shit (aka CP ...) and keep the world lovely Smiley
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 03:09:59 PM

I know this is a quite old post I'm replying to, but I completely missed your reply.

It all depends on what you are willing to do with it.
It doesn't really. I don't think a possible security flaw becomes less important when you do legal stuff on the internet than it does when you do illegal stuff. It should be equally bad either way, and if you truly care about the existence of these flaws, then all you have to do is avoid them.

Please don't do shady shit (aka CP ...) and keep the world lovely Smiley
Tor browsing is often confused for illegality. I use Tor whenever I can - in fact, I use it more often than clearnet. In my honest opinion, the world would look much better if everyone took care of their own privacy and the govs didn't want to control and monitor everyone like the CCP does, but in a camouflaged way.

I bet you not even 1% of the Tor users are affiliated with CP in any way. In fact, most of the Tor users are not even using Tor properly so most of the CP addicts are being caught in the act quite easily if the authorities are willing to look after them. Your arguments remind me of the "I have nothing to hide" argument very often used nowadays, for which you may find this Wikipedia page an interesting read.
Iced

Activity: 627
Merit: 208

Belgian based crypto-enthusiast

View Profile
December 14, 2020, 09:03:06 PM

I know this is a quite old post I'm replying to, but I completely missed your reply.

It doesn't really. I don't think a possible security flaw becomes less important when you do legal stuff on the internet than it does when you do illegal stuff. It should be equally bad either way, and if you truly care about the existence of these flaws, then all you have to do is avoid them.

Tor browsing is often confused for illegality. I use Tor whenever I can - in fact, I use it more often than clearnet. In my honest opinion, the world would look much better if everyone took care of their own privacy and the govs didn't want to control and monitor everyone like the CCP does, but in a camouflaged way.

I bet you not even 1% of the Tor users are affiliated with CP in any way. In fact, most of the Tor users are not even using Tor properly so most of the CP addicts are being caught in the act quite easily if the authorities are willing to look after them. Your arguments remind me of the "I have nothing to hide" argument very often used nowadays, for which you may find this Wikipedia page an interesting read.

I'm not even using TOR for the illegal side of it, by the way it is not tor's fault, to be honest. This is just the medium for everyone, so in existence, tor is not the issue.  I'm honestly not that narrowminded as you think about this technology, I just wanted to make a clear statement that I hate CP'ers. I follow your opinion on the monitoring and controlling, as this facilitates the cause.

My first use of TOR was for searching academic papers in all honesty.

My statement was about not going on specific onion sites which are continuously being monitored and observed. But you're right it's just about avoiding the flaws, I'm into OSINT btw Smiley
ViceOfBTC21

Activity: 438
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 15, 2020, 05:37:27 PM

Yes, it's legit, but please use it carefully. If you do some illegal shit, law enforcement will do everything to correlate and find you because nothing is truly anonymous in the Internet (or anywhere else). Tor Project should do the more visible warning about abusing Tor that they have already written a long time ago: https://support.torproject.org/abuse/#what-about-criminals

Back in the pleistiocene, I used a combo of Orbot and Orweb on my phone just like everyone else. Then I switched to Orfox when that came. Now it's Tor Browser, probably the same thing as Orfox, but I don't know whether it has a built-in Tor bundle since I didn't need to use Tor on mobile for long time.

If you are so afraid, maybe considering using Tor on your computer running Linux (Windows/MacOS are pretty dangerous computing platforms for privacy these days).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: