Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:55:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebase Coins  (Read 135 times)
Alexander Severus (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 12:58:45 PM

Whats your opinion of rebase coins?
I have a feeling they could really boom huge like a fad in a super bull run if we get one like in 2017 in 2021 or 2022.
I suspect many people new to the space, who don't even understand Rebase coins and just see the number of coins in their wallet going up will think they're cool, and FOMO into them.

On the other side of it I actually don't see any real practical use for them, and they don't really seem to do what developers imply they're intended to imo.
They essentially just shift the volatility away from the price of the coin to  the supply, which fluctuates instead, and the value of your holding will simply go up and down according to its marketcap just like any other coin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bunglor

Activity: 648
Merit: 114

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 01:08:33 PM

I have a feeling they could really boom huge like a fad in a super bull run if we get one like in 2017 in 2021 or 2022.
I suspect many people new to the space, who don't even understand Rebase coins and just see the number of coins in their wallet going up will think they're cool, and FOMO into them.

On the other side of it I actually don't see any real practical use for them, and they don't really seem to do what developers imply they're intended to imo.
They essentially just shift the volatility away from the price of the coin to  the supply, which fluctuates instead, and the value of your holding will simply go up and down according to its marketcap just like any other coin.

I'm not really sure about the coins do you mind giving us something like their website or the link to their whitepaper? is this the coin you were referring to? https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/rebase looks like it's all negative.
laredo7mm

Activity: 1498
Merit: 537

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 01:08:43 PM

They essentially just shift the volatility away from the price of the coin to  the supply, which fluctuates instead, and the value of your holding will simply go up and down according to its marketcap just like any other coin.
Currently the most popular rebase coins in the markets are AMPL, BASE, BAC, YAMV3, and currently, I am just trying to gain some profit from BASE. As I know rebase coin has an elastic supply which will increase or decrease to adjust with targeting price. But with BASE what I have faced is its price never stays with its targeting price. A negative rebase reduce the supply but the token price still shows high volatility. That is why many investors lose their 90% holding assets. What I think is those coin are very risky to invest.
Alexander Severus (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 01:27:22 PM

I wasn't referring to any particular token bunglor but just Rebase tokens in general.
Theres a list of them here.

https://www.coingecko.com/en?category_id=rebase-tokens&view=market

Base I am quite bullish on as I just think that the idea of it being pegged to the value of the entire crypto market would appeal to many people, and its different from most of the others which are pegged to the value of $1.

Base has marketcap of 5 million only whilst AMPL the biggest rebase coin has a marketcap of 232 million now when it just had a marketcap of around 1-2 million a year ago, so its possible for these coins to give insane gains.

Really its just hyper speculative though.
TGD

Activity: 1288
Merit: 620

Wen Rolex?

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 01:33:14 PM

Rebase idea is good for pegging the value of the coin. The problem was there are so many copycat coin that introducing this scheme that's why investors are jumping one over another project to chase the hype leaving the old rebase project out of investors so the effect is devastating. All the traders that left behind will suffer for a negative rebase and since no interest in the market. The supply become thinner overtime and the holdings values is decreasing since the law of supply and demand is not applicable if there is no buyer at all.

Rebase coin is good if there is only one project focus on it.

Don't mind me | Just checking out here for Duelbits Promotion | Bitcoin 1M | Duelbits no 1
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
December 23, 2020, 08:53:50 AM

There are many Rebase coins already and with that increasing number it is sure that investors will move from one to another just to make more profit, and you can't really blame them and most times the first set of projects which started the Rebase coins are actually the ones with genuine ideas. This is exactly what is happening in the DeFi space today, the first sets came with a good idea, then hype entered and today there are many of them, but only few are really with good intentions. Rebase idea is good, some of them, their marketcap and volume are good as well but the team needs to put in more efforts to make it get the necessary attention it's meant to get.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
December 23, 2020, 09:43:42 AM

Been trying to understand what problems they really want to solve with coins like that... Is it to keep price "stable", lower volatility or something else?
I think a less complicated and more effective way to maintain the stability of a cryptocurrency(assuming that's what they are trying to achieve) would be to pay people (in another coin/token) to hold when supply of the main coin increases while demand decreases. And you could get the holders to sell at a set price when demand Increases while supply is low.
Participants coins could be automatically locked during decrease in price of the Coin and you pay them in another coins. Locked Coins can then be automatically unlocked when price of the Coin is going up to cross a targeted price range.
This is repeated always to keep volatility moderate.
leea-1334

Activity: 2240
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
December 23, 2020, 11:14:31 AM

Basically, from what I understand, in short yes you got it right.

Take it at 3 steps:
1. Fiat problem, inflation. So solve with Bitcoin. But problem, volatility, so cannot use as form of money (unreliable value).
2. Stablecoin to solve volatility. But problem, more market manipulation and supply back to fiat expansion.
3. Rebase coins. Solve supply problem and solve manipulation problem.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
martina14

Activity: 1190
Merit: 111

View Profile
December 26, 2020, 04:31:00 AM

How did you say that? you don't even give any link that refers to Rebase coin, you just mentioned here verbally.
Although, there is a Rebase coin at the coingecko but not so sure if this is the coin you talking about dude. Even this is the coin your
referring it I'm not that quite impress too in terms of the volume. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: