Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:50:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 [523] 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 ... 788 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [UNO] Unobtanium Info & Discussion - Merge Mine w/BTC! - Update NOW to qt 0.11.5  (Read 1046618 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sirsmokesalot

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 05:13:26 PM

lol what a fucking quack. I mean i get the energy thing and the cost of bitcoin. That has always been an issue. If bitcoin were to be valued at 1k a coin his argument would be nothing. Then he goes on to talk about how all currencies, metals and such, have value outside of intrinsic value. Even fiat. Lol, not it doesn't. Fiat isn't worth anything except for the fact that people are willing to exchange it for services and other goods. Fiat has NO VALUE, well the ink and the linen, i guess it is a couple cents worth, other than that though. In case people don't read the whole thing;

"The external value of fiat money is more subtle than that of a metal coin. It is inherent in the fact that the government issuing the currency is willing to accept it in payment of taxes and other obligations. If the US government ceased to exist, people might choose to go on using US dollars as a medium of exchange for a while. Ultimately, however, all currencies without an external source of value must share the fate of the Confederate dollar and similar former currencies, becoming, at best, collectors' items."

So i create a system so that people wind up in my debt, taxes, then i give them a token with which they can pay their 'debts' back to me, fiat. Seems like bullshit. It still didn't explain why the currency has value outside of the limited use system it was created for. Of course it has value to the person issuing it to you. Why should it have any value to the person receiving the fiat? Well because the issuer also says you owe them. Wouldn't ya know it though that they are also willing to accept what they just gave you as payment for your debts, how strikingly odd. This professor is why i have little faith in the formal education system. He is sharing nothing more than his opinion and using his status as a professor to add weight to it. I guess i fault people too for trusting people just because their are professors or doctors. Well they must be smarter than me if they are there and i am here. LOL.

In regards to the first link. That is not surprising, that is how governments stay in power. By disrupting anything that looks like it might seek to remove some of their control. So they are running a fear campaign. Look at America and it's war on drugs. See how well that has done?

Know what has been used for years to fund criminal organizations? FIAT. I would say 'but where is the push to eliminate that' but i have a feeling we will see a cashless society sooner than later. Then the fun really begins Smiley

We can't grow when we won't criticize ourselves!
-->>>Unobtanium - The crypto you keep!<<<--

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinCharlie
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 05:30:42 PM

Give 'em hell Sir Smokes!

Two observations:

When it comes to criticising BTC or any other crypto about "use by law breakers," substitute US dollar (as in cash) for said crypto. Same exact result. For example, withdrawal restrictions / money laundering rules have nothing to do with drug dealers as they don't use banks that way anyway. It's to keep us commoners down.

Also, no one who is part of the Establishment likes it when one of the little guys can get out from underneath the thumb of the system.  ie, crypto = freedom

Unobtanium - The crypto commodity you keep! |
Hate Inflation? You'll love $UNO
natmccoy
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

twitter.com/natmcmolecule

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 08:30:43 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2015, 08:43:02 PM by natmccoy

Bitcoin withdrawals disabled on Cryptsy. /r/bitcoin all laughing and saying it's due to the recent accusations and lack of funds, Cryptsy claims it's due to recent malleability issues. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3nqfww/bigvern_on_twitter_cryptsy_halts_bitcoin/

Why the @$^# is there still 36,000 UNO there? Good lord people. I assume it's none of you bitcointalk UNO regulars.

EDIT: Somebody in my /r/cryptocurrency thread is claiming that it's not just bitcoin and withdrawals of LTC and DASH are taking up to 8 hours...I guess as long as they're happening. If you have funds on Cryptsy just please think, "How would I feel if I never saw this money again?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/3njrez/cryptsy_under_investigation_by_federal_government/cvqig8j?context=3

BitcoinCharlie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 08:53:01 PM

I have .1 $UNO on there and consider it a big loss as it's future value will be $100,000.  Cool

On a more serious note, has anyone tried to withdraw his / her position since this news?

Has the news been independently verified by anyone else?

natmccoy
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:05:28 PM

I withdrew UNO immediately after, and Gekko apparently immediately withdrew 5 BTC worth of something, I think bitcoin. If there were problems with their reserves then they would likely not reveal themselves immediately afterward, it would take a couple days of heavy withdrawing. However I must add that the accusations in the Coinfire article mention a lot of things, but none of them involve running a partial reserve. My concern was more with Feds freezing the accounts, but partial reserve is always a possibility with any exchange, you just don't know until withdrawals stop.

I have not seen the report verified from any other sources.

FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1076

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 09:05:38 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2015, 09:20:55 PM by FallingKnife

Secure off-line storage and air-gapped transaction signing using Electrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQumISxkJsQ

Kind of a poor quality video but I thought this might be useful for folks interested in securely storing coins (or looking for a place other than an exchange). Potentially a more convenient method than paper wallets.

Get electrum here:

https://cryptap.us/uno/electrum

I'm setting this up today. Yep! Looks like Electrum alright!

I'm not finding any connections, though. Is there a place I can set a specific electrum-uno server?
Nevermind, it found the servers and connected.

Also: would an electrum server run ok on a Digital Ocean droplet?  I will pay for for one if I can figure out how to set it up. Once again my Linux retardedness reveals its head.

Nostr:
npub14wk4hrq6atlq020c7r6eyylpu9gjukyqzafzxu6u80unqfrplq9qhtx8sy
natmccoy
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:32:30 PM

Holy shit FK! That's a lot of coinage, I hope you did some extensive testing first. I mean, it probably works and Cryptapus knows what he's doing but we're some of the first people to use it. I guess if something goes wrong it's still probably recoverable from the seed.

FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 09:36:39 PM

Holy shit FK! That's a lot of coinage, I hope you did some extensive testing first. I mean, it probably works and Cryptapus knows what he's doing but we're some of the first people to use it. I guess if something goes wrong it's still probably recoverable from the seed.
yeah, about that.  The display is set to gm.  That's really just 1 Uno.   Grin I like how it looks tho.

Electrum is my favorite Bitcoin client. This will be a really easy way for people to connect to their Uno, especially those who are struggling with connecting to nodes.
Having reliable electrum servers on the Uno network will be good for traditional clients.

Nostr:
natmccoy
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 09:38:58 PM

Ahhh LOL! I forgot that is the default unit, that's the first thing I changed. My first test amount was 10 grams  Tongue

RDDRocket

Activity: 272
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:37:59 PM

The guy in that Australian bitcoin article is a moron. Everything in that article is a changing technology and due to change over the decades. Power should ultimately become cheaper, miners and ASIC chips become more energy efficient, computers are starting to be built with Bitcoin nodes and ASICs chips, phones will have ASIC bitcoin chips in the near future ( I can only assume, following the laws) and so much more. With multi billion dollars worth of use of Bitcoin the value will increase tremendously while ultimately ASIC tech will be extremely energy efficient proving mining to be extremely valuable.

As sirsmokesalot has said, of course when an economic system so bold as Bitcoin has proven threatens your whole stake, your entire government structure of debt and control, they will start making up all kinds of bullshit these next several years to discredit cryptocurrencies, if not outright ban them.

I've been highly surprised they didn't outright ban it, to be honest. In fact, I think they knew that it really cannot be stopped, and so they are biding their time working on solutions to defeat it.
natmccoy
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:43:17 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2015, 11:09:36 PM by natmccoy

--"Coinfire's right again. What a shocker. In the sea of shit that is Bitcoin journalism, they're consistently the only ones doing real reporting. It was interesting seeing sock puppets attacking them earlier.
If you don't think your funds are in danger after they're pulling the Gox excuse, you're insane. Tx malleability only matters for accepting BTC, not sending them."

--"That is exactly what Mark Karpelles did right before Gox was shut down."

--"People bailing and they don't have enough BTC to cover the withdrawals. Where have we heard this before...?"

--"as malleability does not affect if the funds arrive this seems like a strange argument"

Don't mean to distract from the quality Australia discussion, but who's damn money is that on Cryptsy? Is some dude just chilling with $20,000 worth of UNO on there? It's unbelievable.

"while Cryptsy refutes these claims by CoinFire, previous links with fraudulent operations could undermine the exchange’s position. CoinTelegraph will continue to monitor and update this developing story."

http://cointelegraph.com/news/115384/cryptsy-we-have-never-been-investigated-for-anything?ref=45

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/3nrla4/cryptsy_halting_bitcoin_withdraws_this_seems_like/

I'm not saying that Cryptsy is definitely going under, or even that the Coinfire report is legitimate, Cryptsy may remain strong for a decade, but it's not worth the risk. It takes 10 minutes to get Cryptapus' new Electrum wallet running. It takes a few hours to download a standard UNO client and sync the blockchain. If there's a 5% chance of Cryptsy going down and you have more than a few UNO on there it's worth it to move your coins. If you want to keep sell orders posted just move them to Bittrex, Cryptopia or Bleutrade for the time being, it will take you 2 minutes.

FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 11:21:33 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 01:09:31 AM by FallingKnife

Lets keep an eye on the big wallets over the next week or so.

Again, for the record: Rich list as Midnight UTC 7 October 2015.

I don't think Cryptsy will end in a disorderly closing (says the guy who nearly lost nearly 500 un on MintPal).
I'm not saying there is no cause for alarm, but I will point out that the situation so far is very different than Coin-ex and MintPal.

Yes, keeping your spare Uno in a backed up wallet is the only (mostly) safe way to store it, and Cryptapus' Electrum wallet for Uno is a ~fantastic~ service for this community. It is never a bad idea to keep your Uno safe off exchanges, but do try to set aside a small % of your Uno for trading so that markets can remain liquid.

If Cryptsy goes down, UNO will continue on other exchanges. It will NOT be one of the coins that dies off. We've worked hard to retain Bittrex, and cultivate Crypopia and Bleutrade.

If 18% of the total coinage is lost, then the remaining 82% will become that much more rare and valuable.

I'm rooting for Cryptsy to get through this. I've never had any particular cause to hate on them, other than a few delayed transactions that eventually were delivered. So far, all CoinFire has offered is rumor and innuendo.  That the entire US Government financial regulatory apparatus would single out CoinFire as a go-to org for leaking these kinds of docs leaves me incredulous and skeptical. I need more than Coinfire's say so before I turn against an exchange that has served Uno well.  

Nostr:
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 12:37:33 AM

Morning, community. Pardon us IMZ guys if we seem a but fuzzy in coming days, we fear that the attack on cryptos here in Oz is a test case, and we're gonna sleep on mattresses by the keyboard 'til we get a handle on it.

Mark
cryptapus

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 01:21:03 AM

Kind of a poor quality video but I thought this might be useful for folks interested in securely storing coins (or looking for a place other than an exchange). Potentially a more convenient method than paper wallets.

Get electrum here:

Also: would an electrum server run ok on a Digital Ocean droplet?  I will pay for for one if I can figure out how to set it up. Once again my Linux retardedness reveals its head.
Yes, DO would work fine. I would suggest Ubuntu LTS or debian (slightly more steep learning curve). There are a few good reasons to setup an electrum server:

1) You will be running a full unobtaniumd node which will help the network in general (as long as you have your p2p port open / don't firewall it / allow connections).
2) More electrum servers mean a more robust electrum network and will increase privacy in the client.
3) In case I disappear the electrum network will remain.

It is not without it's challenges though, you'll need to stay on top of keeping your node up to date with forks, security, etc. If you do run a server please let me know by submitting a pull request to electrum-uno: lib/network.py (see DEFAULT_SERVERS), or just ping me and I'll add it to the client.

website | PGP fingerprint: 692C 0756 E57D 2FA1 7601 3729 010B 717F 231C E7AA | BTC Address: 1CrYPTB1o7QWc8hXqBMP2LtAJh1VMtTFBh
FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 01:41:44 AM

Get electrum here:

Yes, DO would work fine. I would suggest Ubuntu LTS or debian (slightly more steep learning curve). There are a few good reasons to setup an electrum server:

1) You will be running a full unobtaniumd node which will help the network in general (as long as you have your p2p port open / don't firewall it / allow connections).
2) More electrum servers mean a more robust electrum network and will increase privacy in the client.
3) In case I disappear the electrum network will remain.

It is not without it's challenges though, you'll need to stay on top of keeping your node up to date with forks, security, etc. If you do run a server please let me know by submitting a pull request to electrum-uno: lib/network.py (see DEFAULT_SERVERS), or just ping me and I'll add it to the client.

My only suggestion:  hard code the addys for the dice games so I don't have to manually copy & paste them from http://cryptap.us/uno/dice

Nostr:
FallingKnife (OP)
Legendary

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 01:43:50 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 02:00:52 AM by FallingKnife

Our old friend Rush at Bitcoin Rush wants to talk about Uno! Watch his channel!

Damn. We need a promo video!  Do we have any talent in the audience?  All I have are clown videos and I don't think he's quite appropriate for Bicoin Rush.

Nostr:
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 03:01:11 AM

' . . . small promo text . . . '

F.K., Nat and I did one:

Unobtanium: rare, fair, established. Second-strongest of all crypto block-chains.

# Truly rare crypto whose primary mining-schedule is almost complete. (79% already fairly mined; 21% remainder over several centuries.)

# Talented community committed to newcomer tech-support and cutting-edge technical development.

# Coin’s creator still active in community.

# Android, Linus, Mac, and Windows wallets.

# Merged-mined with Bitcoin.

Gekko463

Activity: 545
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 03:23:42 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 04:49:44 AM by Gekko463

I withdrew UNO immediately after, and Gekko apparently immediately withdrew 5 BTC worth of something, I think bitcoin. If there were problems with their reserves then they would likely not reveal themselves immediately afterward, it would take a couple days of heavy withdrawing. However I must add that the accusations in the Coinfire article mention a lot of things, but none of them involve running a partial reserve. My concern was more with Feds freezing the accounts, but partial reserve is always a possibility with any exchange, you just don't know until withdrawals stop.

I have not seen the report verified from any other sources.

In the interest of public safety in the current climate, I will show my hand, as I am mostly in "cash" (i.e. BTC) currently.

Yes, I withdrew 5 BTC from Cryptsy the second after I read the article thanks to Nat's heads up on the Cryptsy trollbox.

I have left .62 BTC on Cryptsy, consisting of .31 in BTC, and 51.Huh UNO which I picked up in the .005's over the last few weeks.  Pocket change for opportunities.  Wont cry if lost.

The rest of my BTC is at home now.  Thanks again Nat.
BitcoinCharlie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2015, 04:34:37 AM

The first news is never the worst news....

natmccoy
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 05:02:55 AM

Whew, so much going on!

1. I agree FK, complete failure of Cryptsy would not mean the end of UNO by a longshot, I am more concerned with educating the people behind the $60,000 of UNO there. I am trying to stay reasonable and not a 'fearmonger', but it is also a bit of an experiment because I want to see if that money is even capable of moving, and concern of loss is our best chance of seeing them finally move somewhere safer. The bulk of it is just not budging, but if it does I will get more distribution info  Grin

2. After years and multiple urgings to move the funds, honestly I would be extremely pleased if those coins vanished for good (makes my holdings more valuable), but I don't think that is one of the possible outcomes (Unless their offices burn to the ground or something). The funds would either be: [1] sold by the government (in the unlikely case of extreme criminal involvement by Cryptsy), [2] liquidated to cover company losses (in the event that their BTC & USD holdings are significantly short), [3] frozen then repaid to rightful owners at a later time (In the case of prolonged investigation/court cases), or [4] sold on the markets in the case of a hack, which would delay a rise in value for many months. We know it is not a case of GOX/BTC with Cryptsy/UNO because we see those funds moving every time someone withdraws, so they exist and Cryptsy has the keys, which is a good thing. 90%+ chance the UNO there is safe but even a 1% chance of loss is too great for me to accept with my funds. In the case of point [2], even when BTER had bitcoin stolen, they did not distribute the losses to all users, people could still withdraw their altcoins (although it took a few weeks) and people with bitcoin there have to wait to be reimbursed over time from BTER profits. So I'm not sure that an exchange would ever cross-implicate different currencies. All of that boils down to this: Government regulation, laws & exchange security is all very complex and mostly obscured to exchange users, but people can be certain that with a pen+paper, some USB drives and a few minutes to a few hours, they can make their funds safer away from exchanges.

3. Brand new interview with Cryptsy CEO: http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/10/07/cryptsys-ceo-a-hard-man-in-the-face-of-coinfires-aggro/

4. Someone asked about Unobtanium faucets in a teeny-tiny subreddit so I sent them over to cryptap.us https://www.reddit.com/r/cryptospread/comments/3nshod/does_anyone_know_of_a_good_unobtainium_faucet/

5. Wow, Bitcoin Rush! I remember he did a small piece about UNO years ago, maybe when it first launched? I am very happy to see that he is still interested, he must be mentioning our 2nd birthday. I wish I had animation and editing skills to make a nice promo-video for him. Be sure that he is aware of all the progress of the last year in case he wants to mention any of it: Merged Mining, Prototanium, Android wallet, Electrum client etc.

Pages: « 1 ... 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 [523] 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 ... 788 »
  Print  

Jump to: