Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:42:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions by gweedo; split from: Kick-off Discussion  (Read 2211 times)
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 01:10:13 AM

I have already asked him to ask me questions over PM so that the threads we were in did not derail with the explicit promise that those PM would be made public to all forum users. He has not done so. He continues to attack developers even after we've answered his questions with remarks about how we are either incompetent, slow, or otherwise.

But he is right, you are completely incompetent for the job. You did not provided any evidence you deserve R$350000 (+R$750000) to build a forum software from the scratch. He did not attacked you, he merely told the truth. Your incapacity to implement GPG support in the forum software because is "CPU intensive" is the real source of laugh around here, d00d.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:28:36 AM

Your incapacity to implement GPG support in the forum software because is "CPU intensive" is the real source of laugh around here, d00d.
He never said that he was incapable. On the contrary, he was smart enough to think through the consequences that such a feature would have to the point where he realized that there might be a theoretical DoS vulnerability introduced by adding it. That is, unfortunately, a very rare quality among software developers these days. We are fortunate to be employing such a person for this task.

I sure that if he thinks about it further, he will figure out how best to avoid the DoS issue. Or he'll just recommend in the documentation to run that part in the cloud where more servers can be spun up on demand. Node.js scales quite well for parallel CPU-bound tasks.

taesup

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:14:49 AM

Wow all this talk over a fictitious scenario.

In the end, it's all what ifs. We'll know more when we've figured out the requirements.

Also Augusto, such strong words. I'm sure kinder words would get you answers much quicker.

As for the DB access issue, Maged is quite spot on. Although, we didn't work with live data, we did work with a blanked out set. We ended up using a stored procedure I believe.

I am a Epochtalk (New Forum Software) Developer.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:21:37 AM

Maybe it can be tried out later once the main features are done. The server currently sends an average of about 20 mails per minute, which is not so bad. Though troubles might start occurring if this ever increased to a few mails per second (over a long period of time), as public-key crypto is extremely slow. No amount of software trickery is going to help if the hardware just can't keep up.

If standard public-key crypto isn't possible, the forum and the user could establish a long-term shared secret and then use symmetric crypto, which is very fast.

But IMO this is a pretty low priority. Emails usually don't contain sensitive info.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:06:42 AM

Do you know how queuing works? It is so trivial to implement a queue system, that is bounded by time, so these DoS can't happen. It would make this theoretical DoS vulnerability unable to be execute.
Yes, I do. And so does Slickage:
There are ways to mitigate the CPU issue by locking it down to a few or just one core but that comes with its own trade offs. The speed at which the emails are being sent out may be drastically lower. If the email isn't time-sensitive but contains sensitive information, this is fine. But what if a system wide breach of the DB were to occur and all user's login/pass were compromised. A time-sensitive and possibly information sensitive email needs to go out...

Maybe it can be tried out later once the main features are done. The server currently sends an average of about 20 mails per minute, which is not so bad. Though troubles might start occurring if this ever increased to a few mails per second (over a long period of time), as public-key crypto is extremely slow. No amount of software trickery is going to help if the hardware just can't keep up.
Remember, the sweet part about Node.js is that it practically forces you to design your application in such a way that it can be scaled to multiple servers. It would be nice if you didn't have to add another server for cost reasons, but the option is certainly available.

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 05:20:34 PM

But IMO this is a pretty low priority. Emails usually don't contain sensitive info.

This got me thinking. On the current forum there is an option to include the text of a reply to a post I've made to myself via email. I've left this option off. For PMs, I'd like to get a notification, but it seems to always include the text of the PM itself. I don't know if I just have my settings wrong, but in a future system, it'd be nice to have a clear distinction between "notification" and "contents" when it comes to PMs.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: