Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:09:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Another shower thought about tainted bitcoins  (Read 355 times)
Oasisman

Activity: 2646
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2020, 11:50:11 PM

Hopefully in the future there will be tools that can trace
Bitcoin originating from illegal activities, so when we buy Bitcoin, we can be sure that what we are buying is not tainted Bitcoin.

Well, If I'm not mistaken, in the future Bitcoin user's anonymity will gradually decrease once a tool to trace tainted Bitcoin is created, and that means every Bitcoin in circulation is being monitored.
I'm not sure about this, but as time passes by, more users are looking for solutions to minimize the criminal involvement of Bitcoin by sacrificing our privacy.
tbterryboy

Activity: 1946
Merit: 322

View Profile
October 24, 2020, 08:15:22 AM

I have always thought about this too when someone mentioned that their account was locked on an exchange with them no longer having access to their funds, because it was marked as a tainted Bitcoin. This made me think of ways that we can avoid this, then the first thought that came to mind was this: we all already knows the addresses that belongs to these hackers right?

Whenever there is such money laundering activity, we check the Blockchain and we know the addresses that were used by the hackers, if we stop accepting anything from those addresses would it make any changes? The answer that came to my mind was a No, because then I remembered we have Coin mixers.

But even if we decide to stop accepting from these addresses, what if they start moving it from on address to another, are we going to continue marking those addresses or what? And there will be innocent that wouldn’t be aware and eventually receive coins from them, what are we going to do? This is really serious.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: