Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:03:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused send/receive address in 0.5 client :(  (Read 1628 times)
pent (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 04:39:34 PM

Just mixed up "Receiving" and "Address book" tabs, crap... thay looks the same.

I used to use "Address book" in 0.3.24 client to get receiving addresses.

So I went to "Address book" and picked up some address to send coins to. I was sure it is my address, but this was someone's address i sent coins in a past.

And sent there 80 btc.

What a stupid GUI in new version, fuck!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 04:41:23 PM

I agree, this also confused me the first time I started it.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2011, 04:52:12 PM

Yes, this confused me a bit at first.  But you also have to pay attention to what you're doing. 

Hopefully the UI will improve from where it is now.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 04:57:00 PM

Im not sure what everyone is complaining about tbh oO

I think its fine lol.

I do agree the one that zhoutang produced as a mockup was very nice though.

Im this person will be honest enough to return the funds. Especially considering you know who it is.
pent (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 05:11:58 PM

I actually can't find any message logs associated with this recipient after 2 hours of digging.

I sent him 2 BTC @31 Aug 2011, possibly it was an exchange.

If anyone owns 1ZBxx8Qtpt7nzMcg8ihMQ3MsuMWmTbBUW please refund my 80 BTC payment.

But I personally do not hope for this.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 05:13:37 PM

I think "Send coins" / "Receive coins" symmetric scheme is indeed user friendly, but since our addresses are in the "Receive coins" tab, why have an additional "Address Book" tab at all? It breaks the logic there IMO. Address book should be a part of the "Send coins" screen.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 05:16:52 PM

I think "Send coins" / "Receive coins" symmetric scheme is indeed user friendly, but since our addresses are in the "Receive coins" tab, why have an additional "Address Book" tab at all? It breaks the logic there IMO. Address book should be a part of the "Send coins" screen.

I agree, its the dumbest thing. Someone cant design UI for shit.

Why is it the official release? They should leave the old version alone if they cant make a better one.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
pent (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 06:13:23 PM

Well, I found who received those 80 BTC. Thanks to google chrome, it reminded me all pages I visited at the time of first transaction.

Sent a PM to the owner.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 06:20:37 AM

Why is it the official release?
Because you didn't give your feedback during the several-month long process of development for the UI? Hell, you at least could have said something during final testing.

That being said, I have to agree that this is confusing and should be addressed.

pent (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:08:09 AM

Many respects to doublec. He has restored wallet backup, downloaded block chain and returned coins to me.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52881.0
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 12:12:51 PM

Thumbs up for Dublec! I am happy you got your btc back pent.

Adding extra confirmation dialogue boxes to the client, with an option for advanced users to turn it off, could be a good idea.

That way, the user would in this case get a message like:

"You are trying to send money to a bitcoin adress that does not belong to you, xxxxxx, you have previously recieved bitcoins from this adress, are you sure this is what you want to do?"
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 05:50:15 PM

It was hard but they managed it: 5.0 is more worse than older clients...

Beroper

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 05:55:07 PM

i am agree with the topic

the gui of new version 0.5 is suck.

address book + receive coins are useless. after received some coins, the address wont even be changed automatic.

user need to click on "receive coins", new,and copy. and there is no order in  "receive coins". it makes many address mix up,thats sucks.

overview is weak too, 0.4 is much better than this one.
memvola

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 06:09:31 PM

there is no order in  "receive coins". it makes many address mix up,thats sucks.

What do you mean? Addresses are ordered by label, as they should be. In the older wx client, they were ordered by address string, which is not very useful IMO, but you can do that too with this new qt client if you want to.

after received some coins, the address wont even be changed automatic.

Maybe the Overview screen could always display one unused address with a "copy to clipboard" button beside it. The empty space is perfect for this.
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 08:42:13 PM

So I went to "Address book" and picked up some address to send coins to. I was sure it is my address, but this was someone's address i sent coins in a past.

And sent there 80 btc.

What a stupid GUI in new version, fuck!

That being said, I have to agree that this is confusing and should be addressed.

To me it seems very intuitive that an address book is a list of people/addresses that you send money to. And the "receive" tab is where you go if you want to receive coins. I think that "address book" was a lot more confusing to new users in the old client.

Having similar "New Address" buttons on both tabs is a bit confusing though.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Beroper

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:50:59 PM

i dont usually give those address labels. what i want, its automatic renew after each receive or send which 0.4 version did.

order by address's first character either doesnt make sense. the order i want, its the newest address on the top position, others should be sorted by time of creation. so i can easily tell which one is new(just created), which one i havent used yet, which one i used etc..

and why separate send and receive tab? they are both just an address,put them together, just like 0.4 did. mark the direction at beside(send or receive) is enough
Beroper

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:54:46 PM

and display how many confirmations of each recent transaction on the overview!!!
memvola

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 01:29:01 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2011, 01:45:08 AM by memvola

order by address's first character either doesnt make sense. the order i want, its the newest address on the top position, others should be sorted by time of creation. so i can easily tell which one is new(just created), which one i havent used yet, which one i used etc..

It's not what older versions did either, they sorted by address. I don't think date of creation has any meaning regarding addresses, if an address has never been in the block chain, it's just a number no different than another. Maybe the client could display which addresses have been used and which weren't. Then again, labeling can be used for that.

EDIT: I also like the fact that the label appears when you enter an address on the Send page so that you are informed about its previous usage, and you can enter a label directly if there isn't one. So it's a very straightforward and minimally time consuming process.

and why separate send and receive tab? they are both just an address,put them together, just like 0.4 did. mark the direction at beside(send or receive) is enough

Transactions screen is still there. Do you mean they should be pop-up's instead of tabs? IMO fewer pop-ups is better. I don't like the splash screen and balloons either.

and display how many confirmations of each recent transaction on the overview!!!

It seems that everyone agrees on this one. If we really don't want to display numbers, maybe a 1-6 dial could be made.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: