Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:55:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovering Bither wallet.  (Read 86 times)
Sygun (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 10:51:02 PM

I have a bither wallet created in March 2018, one day the app just stopped launching, double click and nothing happens. I gave up trying to get it to work until recently and have been trying to get my way back into it.

I'm pretty sure it's not a HD account.

I have the address.db and it contains my public receive key but the private key seems to be encrypted.

I cannot find the file on my pc where I saved the private key or seed phrase. I did save it on my phone (since replaced) and printed it out (moved house no longer have) - my biggest mistake I know...

I cleared the contents of the bither roaming folder and the application launches. I put my address.db back in and it stops loading again.

Tried using btrecover.py but as I don't know any of the seed phrase it's going to take a billion years to brute force it, so not really an option!

Is there anyway to:
A) get bither to load my address.db
B)recover the private key so I can sweep it into electrum
C)uncover my lost seed.

There's only like 0.019 bit coins in the wallet so it isn't worth a great deal but the thought that once day it could be worth something is driving me mad!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sygun (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2021, 12:11:00 PM

I've managed to recover the password. So now I have the address.db and the password to decrypt - but can someone point me in the direction of the way to do this?

I can open the address.db file in DB browser /SQLite Studio. But can't see how I'd decrypt using my password
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2021, 12:37:10 PM

I've managed to recover the password. So now I have the address.db and the password to decrypt - but can someone point me in the direction of the way to do this?

Why can't you just download Bither and use that to open your wallet file by providing the correct password?
It seems you have all the necessary information.

Trying to find a way without using Bither, given that you seem to have everything you need, seems to be not worth the effort. What am i missing?

Sygun (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2021, 01:28:06 PM
Merited by hugeblack (2), bob123 (1)

Because bither is annoying as it doesn't allow you to import using a wallet file. Just QR code or the private key..

I have just discovered a way round this though, convert the encrypted private key to a QR code, scan that and then it allows you to use your password to decrypt it. Now I'm in and have access again Cheesy
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2021, 01:42:42 PM

I agree with bob123 why not download the latest version?
But before you import the address.db to the latest version of Bither wallet make sure to make a backup copy of the file for safety purposes. And then backup all private keys to import it to another wallet like Electrum.

If it still doesn't work then you don't have any other chance to recover the wallet it seems that only a few people use this wallet before.

If you already tried to open the wallet but it is not readable according to my research you can only able to read them after you decrypt the DB file.

Try to decrypt it with your password there is documentation on SQLite read this https://www.sqlite.org/see/doc/trunk/www/readme.wiki
And look for decryption.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2021, 04:26:29 PM

Because bither is annoying as it doesn't allow you to import using a wallet file. Just QR code or the private key..

I have just discovered a way round this though, convert the encrypted private key to a QR code, scan that and then it allows you to use your password to decrypt it. Now I'm in and have access again Cheesy

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

But.. Bither has to store the data somewhere. And this "somewhere" is the address.db file, right?
So replacing an useless (empty) address.db file with yours should be sufficient? Even without an "import" function?

Sygun (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2021, 08:50:37 PM

Yeah I tried just putting the file back in the roaming data folder for bither, but that prevented the app from launching together. So either something happened to my address.db file to make it unreadable for bither, or bither changed their desired format and my old wallet was no longer readable.

Either way, converting it to a QR code worked. Moved to exodus and much preferring that so far.
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2021, 12:07:01 PM

Moved to exodus and much preferring that so far.

I wouldn't recommend Exodus, tbh. Neither Jaxx, Coinomi or any other closed source and/or poorly coded software.

It is your choice, but i wouldn't store more than you are willing to lose on Exodus.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: