Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:28:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using snap to install core  (Read 118 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2020, 02:31:31 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I've managed to sort out the problems with my latest installation of Ubuntu, and I re-installed it to make life easier. I clicked on the Install Bitcoin Core image in the Ubuntu software library, and it has installed a working version of Core. My concern is that it used a service called Snap to do the installation, and I can't find out much about this service. It seems to have done a bit of customising to make the installation simpler.

I haven't connected any iof ny wallets with coins in them yet. Is it safe to use this installation, or should I go through the apparently more involved process?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 02, 2020, 03:05:21 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (5), DaveF (1), ABCbits (1)

I think snap is considered as safe as the repositories you can also install from for Ubuntu? I thought it was run by the same people tbh. You're probably fine using it, it doesn't take much more to install core from source - especially if you have the dependencies - if you are paranoid. You can also just download the binaries too afaik from the official site and those seem to work when I've tried them on Linux.
ABCbits
Legendary

Merit: 7385

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
October 03, 2020, 11:01:07 AM
Merited by DaveF (1)

I think snap is considered as safe as the repositories you can also install from for Ubuntu? I thought it was run by the same people tbh. You're probably fine using it, it doesn't take much more to install core from source - especially if you have the dependencies - if you are paranoid. You can also just download the binaries too afaik from the official site and those seem to work when I've tried them on Linux.

Additionally, Bitcoin Core on Snap is listed on https://bitcoin.org/en/download and https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/, so it should be pretty much safe (assuming Snap repository isn't hacked).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6209

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2020, 01:34:58 PM

... (assuming Snap repository isn't hacked).

If Snap is hacked many people have many more issues then BTC....

I don't use snap and usually compile myself or just grab the binary from bitcoin.org

But I would not worry about using Snap any more then YUM / DNF.

If you never trust anything you will never get anything done.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2020, 02:56:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's become a bit academic, as Ubuntu has decided to disconnect the keyboard again, and the fixes I've read don't work. I might have to rethink the OS for this netbook, as I've had problems with Mint and Kali as well. Some of them relaste to the WiFi asapter, and I'vde bought an external one, so I might try that. Right now I'm thinking ot trying Manjaro.

I've just bought a 2Tb SSD, and an external USB case, so I'd like to use that for the Blockchain, if I can find a viable Linux

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 03, 2020, 10:13:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's become a bit academic, as Ubuntu has decided to disconnect the keyboard again, and the fixes I've read don't work. I might have to rethink the OS for this netbook, as I've had problems with Mint and Kali as well. Some of them relaste to the WiFi asapter, and I'vde bought an external one, so I might try that. Right now I'm thinking ot trying Manjaro.

I've just bought a 2Tb SSD, and an external USB case, so I'd like to use that for the Blockchain, if I can find a viable Linux

Device connection issues seem pretty common in Linux. I haven't been able to find where my speakers would be mounted on a laptop I've had Ubuntu installed on for a while...

You might not find something with full compatibility, I know my raspberry pi wouldn't also accept a USB stick if it was plugged in during startup.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2020, 12:49:35 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2020, 02:41:12 PM by Jet Cash

Well yesterday was a real nightmare, but I seem to be making good  progress today. It's p'ing with rain, so I decided to sit down quietly and have another look at open SuSe. I liked the ideas of having a bleeding edge installation ( Tumbleweed ), and a slightly older stable version ( Leap ). I decided to install the Leap version with Gnome, and leave out a few things like Libre. Well the only problem seems to be that it decided that I ought to have Libre, so it has installed it. Everything else seems to be working perfectly. The only inconvenience is that I have to connect to the WiFi manually, but I can live with that. In fact I'm making this post on the installed system.

My SSD hasn't been delivered yet, so I might leave the Bitcoin node test until tomorrow. (now arrived ).

I've installed snap, and used that to install and start Bitcoin core ( how's that for a volte face ). It looks  as if it is going to work well, but I haven't defined the blockchain directory, as there is only 22Gb of free space on ther internal HDD. I'll put together the SSD, and copy the files from my external HDD, then I'll see how that gets on with sync'ing.

ps - right now I'm in love with open SuSe, but will I stay faithful. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: