Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:28:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Bitcoin in the new Darknet project?  (Read 1664 times)
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 01:13:43 AM

Hi all,

I'm sure many of you have heard of the new /r/darknetplan reddit -- since SOPA, the membership has surged past 10,000. Lots of people seem very interested now in creating a new mesh net that cannot be centrally controlled.

I've said for a long time that I believe there is great potential in using digital cash technology to solve issues of resource allocation on mesh networks and anonymous networks.

There is discussion on this thread today of using Bitcoin to accomplish this for the new darknet: http://www.reddit.com/r/darknetplan/comments/mnjwb/digital_cash_is_vital_for_solving_issues_of/

Some people involved in the meshnet discussion seem convinced that their solution is to simply require symmetry between the nodes, but I think Bitcoin is a far more ideal solution.

You guys may find interest in the thread.

-FT

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2011, 01:30:40 AM

Wow, I haven't realized there are enough people out there who have the balls to do this.

I guess I have to reevaluate my estimation for the progressive trend Wink
Until now people weren't going straight for it, as there are plenty of community networks who are part of the official ipv4 space.

Bitcoin could be part of what an effort like this needs, but it may not go alone, there would be some sort of data entry system, a WOT, and software manage resources. Add to that what the opensource ecology guys are doing and we have archived physical independence.
But that said, that would be already even one step further, the decoupling of tribal association from the status quo.

Exiting times, damn I am glad to see that during my lifetime  Smiley
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 02:17:30 AM

May as well be looking at namecoin for it after all they are going to need dns somewhere in that plan so you could kill two birds with the one stone..

Someone already mentioned Namecoin in the thread, I noticed.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: