Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:49:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to continue mining ETH on your 4G AMDs for up to 4 more month  (Read 817 times)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 04:20:07 AM

is it worth torturing 4 GB? Maybe it's time to give them to gamers?  Cheesy

Yes I agree however how you tried to sell any GPUs to gamers lately. It seems that if you are selling a RX 470/480/570/580 then almost every buyer that asks about it, says "Have you mined with this GPU?"?

You got no choice but to bite the bullet and just admit that you mined with it because if they check your other listings and see different models of RX series GPUs with different manufacteurs, they will be suspicious. If you were a gamer, why did you need 10 GPUs. Obviously they were mined with.

Most buyers don't care, they just want to make sure it works before hand and they give you the money and are happy. Other want to make sure that the fans are working at least. While others basically offer you "$20 because I know you mined with it" and lowball you.

Galat

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 08:21:22 AM

is it worth torturing 4 GB? Maybe it's time to give them to gamers?  Cheesy

Yes I agree however how you tried to sell any GPUs to gamers lately. It seems that if you are selling a RX 470/480/570/580 then almost every buyer that asks about it, says "Have you mined with this GPU?"?

You got no choice but to bite the bullet and just admit that you mined with it because if they check your other listings and see different models of RX series GPUs with different manufacteurs, they will be suspicious. If you were a gamer, why did you need 10 GPUs. Obviously they were mined with.

Most buyers don't care, they just want to make sure it works before hand and they give you the money and are happy. Other want to make sure that the fans are working at least. While others basically offer you "$20 because I know you mined with it" and lowball you.
In fact, there are no problems. I sold my RX 570 to gamers and they asked me if I was mining on this GPU. I answered yes, but I explained that mining is no more harmful than games. Because games have a temperature difference that destroys the GPU
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 08:34:06 AM

hijacking this thread but anyone know why 1070ti 8Gb card have the same issue ?
I have tested in bench mode with height 390 and my mining speed is slashed by 2... (my motherboards also have 8Gb)
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 09:21:31 AM

hijacking this thread but anyone know why 1070ti 8Gb card have the same issue ?
I have tested in bench mode with height 390 and my mining speed is slashed by 2... (my motherboards also have 8Gb)

I can't remember which thread it was in (on of the more recent threads ie last 3 months) but somebody posted a link to the nvidia forums where a dev admitted it was an issue with a driver and that they had no plans to implement a change/fix to the issue. Oddly you don't see the same issue with the 1070Ti which is still hashing like new.
melpheos

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 12:21:17 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2020, 01:35:52 PM by melpheos

I can't remember which thread it was in (on of the more recent threads ie last 3 months) but somebody posted a link to the nvidia forums where a dev admitted it was an issue with a driver and that they had no plans to implement a change/fix to the issue. Oddly you don't see the same issue with the 1070Ti which is still hashing like new.

Damn if this how you remember, that would mean the end of 1070Ti passed 4Gb on ethereum if we can't find a driver that doesn't have this issue :-/
Hopefully this problem doesn't occur on Linux so at least we could migrate

I think this is the nvidia forum you are referencing : https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/blockchain-drivers/110847/12
safar1980
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1624

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
October 31, 2020, 07:34:33 PM

I have a similar situation, after a few epochs I will not be able to mine with standard miners. The DAG file size will exceed the video card memory size by about 375 epoch

DrG
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2020, 12:51:04 AM

Damn if this how you remember, that would mean the end of 1070Ti passed 4Gb on ethereum if we can't find a driver that doesn't have this issue :-/

I think this is the nvidia forum you are referencing : https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/blockchain-drivers/110847/12

Thanks for the link. That's actually another thread but same information. Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) issue is known and nVidia really doesn't want to address the issue. That's another reason why I would be weary to buy nVidia cards for mining. They really don't want to support miners despite miners giving them record growth in 2017. AMD may not be catering to the miners with the new gen cards but at least they came out with the speed decrease workaround within 4 months.
safar1980
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
November 03, 2020, 12:20:47 PM

Thanks for the link. That's actually another thread but same information. Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) issue is known and nVidia really doesn't want to address the issue. That's another reason why I would be weary to buy nVidia cards for mining. They really don't want to support miners despite miners giving them record growth in 2017. AMD may not be catering to the miners with the new gen cards but at least they came out with the speed decrease workaround within 4 months.
Maybe they want miners to stop using the 10xx series and buy more modern video cards Smiley
On the 20xx series, I have not seen a hash rate drop when mining Ethereum.
I consider the 1070 to be the most successful video card from the 10xx series, because it is still relevant today and has a low power consumption.

melpheos

View Profile
November 03, 2020, 07:49:37 PM

Maybe they want miners to stop using the 10xx series and buy more modern video cards Smiley
I consider the 1070 to be the most successful video card from the 10xx series, because it is still relevant today and has a low power consumption.
Have you tried in bench mode with height 290 ?
In any case, i'm not buying nvidia for my next rig to replace my rigs once they are useless in a few weeks
safar1980
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
November 05, 2020, 05:42:39 PM

Have you tried in bench mode with height 290 ?
In any case, i'm not buying nvidia for my next rig to replace my rigs once they are useless in a few weeks
I will probably buy 5600xt to replace my 480 4GB radeons. Nvidia video cards are very expensive and they are not yet well researched in mining. To avoid such a situation, it is better to purchase proven video cards.
https://news.mydrivers.com/1/721/721879.htm
Article about breakdowns of GeForce RTX 3090 and power supplies

DrG
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2020, 04:20:52 AM

For gamers the 1070 was probably the best of the 10xx series cards, but for miners the 1070 has been a dud. The 1060 6GB is now hashing about 20% slower for 45% less cost and the 1070Ti is still operating as it originally did. The 1080/1080Ti have only gotten better with age. The 1070 and the 3GB 1060 were the mining duds.
safar1980
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
November 06, 2020, 04:26:45 PM

For gamers the 1070 was probably the best of the 10xx series cards, but for miners the 1070 has been a dud. The 1060 6GB is now hashing about 20% slower for 45% less cost and the 1070Ti is still operating as it originally did. The 1080/1080Ti have only gotten better with age. The 1070 and the 3GB 1060 were the mining duds.
My 1070 video cards show 29-31 mh, for 4 years of mining the hashrate dropped by 1 mx on some cards - these are mainly cards with 8 pin power. Video cards with 8 + 6 pin power supply show 31 mh.
Now I don't want to figure out why the total hashrate of the farm fell by 3-4 mh.

1060 6GB show 22.5 mh
Good result after 4 years of mining.

bobalazs

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2020, 03:11:47 PM

No need to bury 4 gb cards just yet. ETh classic wil have dag size halved end of november. That means you'll be able to mine eve3n with 3 gb cards.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: