Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:27:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Restore Ledger Nano X with passphrase (seed)  (Read 129 times)
Do-DMT (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 34

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:28:16 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2020, 03:05:53 PM by Do-DMT
Merited by LoyceV (4), o_e_l_e_o (2), ABCbits (1)

Hello.
I'm using Ledger Nano X, and I forgot my Ledger Live App password so I can't access it. I do have my 24 words of course.

So I reinstalled Ledger Live. I open it and go to "restore device from recovery phrase", select the nano X device, and the instructions are as follows:
1.connect ledger nano X (ok fine)
2.press both buttons as instructed on your ledger nano x screen (guess they mean TURN DEVICE ON)
3.Press both buttons to select Restore from recovery phrase (WHERE?)

here is the problem - there is no such option on the device.
all I the option I have are:
"bitcoin" (that's for accessing the wallet which I lost the password to), "install app", and "control center", which has the following settings menu:
General (nothing useful there), and Security (Change PIN, passphrase[attach to pin, set temporary], auto lock, reset pairings, reset all).

I'm guessing maybe I need one of the reset options?
I'm definitely not pressing anything that says "reset" before I'm sure what they do exactly.
The support on the ledger website is useless.

maybe I'm supposed to start with "set up as new device" instead of "restore device from recovery phrase"?

Thanks in advance, hope I was clear enough.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:34:34 PM
Merited by LoyceV (2), ABCbits (1)

So I reinstalled Ledger Live. I open it and go to "restore device from recovery phrase", select the nano X device, and the instructions are as follows:

Since you forgot only your Ledger Live password, choose "Skip device setup" instead of "Restore device from Recovery phrase". There is no need to create a new wallet or restore an existing one since your device hasn't been wiped.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16550

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2020, 02:37:09 PM

First a disclaimer: I've never restored my Ledger Nano using the 24 recovery words.

So I reinstalled Ledger Live. I open it and go to "restore device from recovery phrase"
I don't think you have to restore your Ledger. If you only forgot the password on your computer, and still know the PIN code to your Ledger, the device itself should still be fine. It still holds your keys.

all I the option I have are:
"bitcoin" (that's for accessing the wallet which I lost the password to), "install app", and "control center", which has the following settings menu:
General (nothing useful there), and Security (Change PIN, passphrase[attach to pin, set temporary], auto lock, reset pairings, reset all).
This sounds like a normal working Ledger.

I'm guessing maybe I need one of the reset options?
I'm definitely not pressing anything that says "reset" before I'm sure what they do exactly.
Wise decision. Never do anything until you're sure.

maybe I'm supposed to start with "set up as new device" instead of "restore device from recovery phrase"?
It's not a new device, for which you'd start with setting up 24 new words. But there must be a way to connect an existing Ledger to a new PC, and that's what you should use.

The support on the ledger website is useless.
Does this help? Set up Ledger Live on another device

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Do-DMT (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:44:44 PM

Since you forgot only your Ledger Live password, choose "Skip device setup" instead of "Restore device from Recovery phrase". There is no need to create a new wallet or restore an existing one since your device hasn't been wiped.

OK so I'm asked if I know my PIN (yes), my seed (yes), and if my device is genuine - I can't only select "Check now",
then it asks me to connect and unlock the device, and shows an animation of a ledger being connected with usb and entering a PIN.
I connect my ledger, enter the pin, it's unlocked, but nothing is happening on the ledger live, and I can't continue.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:48:11 PM

[...] I can't only select "Check now", [...] I connect my ledger, enter the pin, it's unlocked, but nothing is happening on the ledger live, and I can't continue.

There seems to be some of kind of connectivity problem between your Ledger and PC. I would try doing something as simple as rebooting the computer. Some other app in the background could be interrupting the connection.
Do-DMT (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 03:05:31 PM

[...] I can't only select "Check now", [...] I connect my ledger, enter the pin, it's unlocked, but nothing is happening on the ledger live, and I can't continue.

There seems to be some of kind of connectivity problem between your Ledger and PC. I would try doing something as simple as rebooting the computer. Some other app in the background could be interrupting the connection.

Oh right, the USB got disconnected. That's it I'm good, thanks so much for the help!

btw
what's the difference between segwit and native segwit?
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 03:08:31 PM

what's the difference between segwit and native segwit?

This short article written by Ledger should give you a rough idea. You should be fine with a native SegWit account since more exchanges and services support this kind of addresses now. If you choose native SegWit, you will save more money on the fees, but some people might not be able to send coins to you. You will be able to spend your coins without any problems, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: