Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:02:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best practice to custody large amounts of BTC?  (Read 189 times)
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 02:23:22 PM

If I had millions of dollars worth of coins, I'd keep them in 5-10 wallets of different types - hardware wallets, physical wallets (steel plates), maybe one or two custodial wallets. I'd keep a few wallets at my home, and a few wallets in a deposit box, and I'd memorize at least one seed on top of storing it with any other methods. I would also back up at least one seed in cloud storage, encrypting it with a very strong password beforehand. With this setup, I would only lose a portion of my coins in worst case scenario and never lose all coins. I'd keep the record of all my wallets in an encrypted file and once in a few months I'd check all these wallets.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TedMosby

Activity: 1120
Merit: 437

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5274318.0

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2020, 11:19:08 PM

Do you use a Ledger Nano S to custody the BTC? Do you have it all in one account or multiple Ledgers?
a wise man said, "don't put all your eggs in one basket".
so I will store it on multiple ledgers wallets. they are cheap compared to the responsibilities that will be carried out to secure your assets.

Where do you store the backup seed phrase? On a titanium plate? Where do you store the titanium plate? In your safe?
not sure, but it should be written on a fire/water/dust/anything-proof material.  Grin

What if you go on a vacation and someone decides to try to crack the safe? All they have to do is get in and take a photo of your titanium plate with seed phrase. Then they walk off with all your money.
multisignature first.

Does the answer to the question change if you have 100 million dollars in BTC?
Not sure, but with 100 million dollars I should own a dedicated building for my ledger wallets with guardians (prefer the one who can shot a deadly laser from their eyes) and insurance to protect them  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
December 11, 2020, 12:01:45 AM

I'm a quite paranoid guy to say the least, so my idea may sound far-fetched but if I had that much money, I would definitely spend as much time as I could securing my funds the following way:

First of all, I'd take some programming courses. The main purpose is being able to audit by myself the code of a given software.

Next, I'd choose Electrum as the software to go after and audit it entirely. This is in my opinion a very important step, especially when you have that much money to hold. Another option is to audit Ian Coleman's tool, but I'd still go for Electrum.

I'd then create a few airgapped, strongly encrypted PCs to store my coins on. Wi-Fi and any other wireless module removed. Metal case, as tight fit and enclosed as possible to block most frequencies/signal to and from the external world. Probably somewhere between 3-5 PCs in total, each having a different encryption password and wallet. I'd also get some resistent metal sheets to write the seeds on them, and webcams with lids to scan QR codes rather than manually inputting an address/tx data or using USBs.

And finally, a PC with Whonix (or Tails) on it to sign transactions through Tor. And that's basically it. If you've audited the code of a software by yourself finding nothing suspicious and also created some secure PCs that cannot communicate with the outside world, the risks are significantly decreased.

For a hot wallet, I'd choose Trezor. And once again, auditing the code is helpful. It feels great as it's offline and the risks are smaller with it than holding your coins in an online PC (this excludes human errors, obviously, such as accepting a tx without checking the address characters multiple times or the amount you're about to send), but I would personally not trust it for that much money. A PC that never connects to the outside world or external devices (besides keyboard/mouse/webcam) is imo way safer.

My answer for the idea of holding a lot of money on custodial wallets is a straight, bold no without a doubt.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: