Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:39:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr. Mnuchin plans to regulate non-custodial wallets.  (Read 845 times)
TravelMug

Activity: 2632
Merit: 833

View Profile
January 02, 2021, 12:36:34 AM

Just some update:

US representatives ask Mnuchin to extend comment period for proposed wallet rule to traditional 60 days.

Eight members of Congress have sent a letter to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin expressing concern over the shortened comment period for the Treasury's recently proposed rule for virtual currency transactions.

The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) issued a notice of proposed rulemaking that would require more stringent know-your-customer and reporting measures for exchanges, cracking down on anonymous transacting and self-hosted wallet activity. In its notice, it provided for a 15 day comment period as opposed to the traditional 60 days for significant proposed rules.

Now, Reps. Tom Emmer, David Schweikert, Warren Davidson, Ted Budd, Bill Foster, Darren Soto, Susan DelBene and Tulsi Gabbard have signed a letter to Mnuchin, with FinCEN Director Kenneth Blanco cc'ed, asking the office to extend the period to 60 days. If the rule is implemented, the letter also asks FinCEN to consider a six month extension of implementation to allow stakeholders to find solutions to the upcoming rule.

Are they just extending the inevitable here? Or are we going to find middle grounds?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 02, 2021, 12:38:22 PM

Just some update:

US representatives ask Mnuchin to extend comment period for proposed wallet rule to traditional 60 days.

Now, Reps. Tom Emmer, David Schweikert, Warren Davidson, Ted Budd, Bill Foster, Darren Soto, Susan DelBene and Tulsi Gabbard have signed a letter to Mnuchin, with FinCEN Director Kenneth Blanco cc'ed, asking the office to extend the period to 60 days. If the rule is implemented, the letter also asks FinCEN to consider a six month extension of implementation to allow stakeholders to find solutions to the upcoming rule.

Are they just extending the inevitable here? Or are we going to find middle grounds?

60 days + 6 months would be a godsend---too good to be true. if that happened, it would probably kill the proposal since biden is gonna appoint a new treasury secretary, who will likely appoint a new FINCEN director.

i don't have high hopes that 8 house reps will turn the tide. i really hope i'm wrong, but i get the feeling the treasury department is gonna cram these regs through before trump leaves office. they don't explicitly say in the proposal when the new rules would go into effect but this makes me think it could be immediately:

FinCEN has determined that the substantial concerns about national security, terrorism, ransomware, money laundering, and other illicit financial activities discussed above, and the need for an effective response in a rapidly changing area of major national concern, support making the amendments in the proposed rule effective as quickly as is feasible.
https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2020-28437.pdf

the other thing i'm waiting with bated breath for: implementation of the travel rule, with a possible $250 threshold instead of the FATF's recommended $1000. Roll Eyes

TravelMug

Activity: 2632
Merit: 833

View Profile
January 02, 2021, 11:36:55 PM

^^ Yeah, the travel rule is also what I wanted to see $250 threshold? prfft!!

I think it surely does have some effect, those 8 are powerful congressman to begin with, so it might influence and as you have said, the new administration will take over that time so we might see some changes and hopefully it will be on our side.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2021, 08:49:17 PM

Stopping any sort of ML, crime, missed KYC duties

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 12:42:11 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

On the bright side, FinCEN reopened the public comment period for these proposed changes, amidst backlash from Bitcoin companies complaining of insufficient time given. They are giving another 15 days for the reporting rule changes, and 45 days for the self-hosted wallet regulation. They don't give specific dates, so I don't know if that means from the date of this publication, or the date of the previous deadline.

Either way, I would expect to get some closure on the Travel Rule regulations around the end of January and the self-hosted wallet regulations around end of February, assuming the Biden and Trump administrations see eye to eye on the proposed changes.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: