Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius worth less after,or the opposite?  (Read 1456 times)
MeandMissNoob (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:52:43 PM

Hi there, I'm getting interested in buying (some) Casascius coins. BUT... there is something that worries me, I have been thinking to post this or not, but I just go for it.

Because the coins are not being made anymore, and there are only so many around. You would say the price will go up because they are original and getting more rare. But what if somebody sends a small amount of mbtc to the public adress of one of the coins, then it's not original anymore! You could say, Ok but now it has even more BTC value, but it's also not the same anymore as Mike Caldwell made them and sold them in that way, would that not be negative for the value.

Let's say I have a coin made by Casascius in perfect condition, and I have a second coin just made after the first one but it has a scratch on it. Then you would say the second coin is less valuable because of the scratch. But now I have a coin with exactly 1BTC, and the second is 1.0000001BTC (or something). Would you say the one with 1 BTC is more valuable or the other with the extra mBTC?

I would like it to stay in the way, like Mike Caldwell made them but thats just my opinion. What's your thought about this?
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:57:34 PM

Hi there, I'm getting interested in buying (some) Casascius coins. BUT... there is something that worries me, I have been thinking to post this or not, but I just go for it.

Because the coins are not being made anymore, and there are only so many around. You would say the price will go up because they are original and getting more rare. But what if somebody sends a small amount of mbtc to the public adress of one of the coins, then it's not original anymore! You could say, Ok but now it has even more BTC value, but it's also not the same anymore as Mike Caldwell made them and sold them in that way, would that not be negative for the value.

Let's say I have a coin made by Casascius in perfect condition, and I have a second coin just made after the first one but it has a scratch on it. Then you would say the second coin is less valuable because of the scratch. But now I have a coin with exactly 1BTC, and the second is 1.0000001BTC (or something). Would you say the one with 1 BTC is more valuable or the other with the extra mBTC?

I would like it to stay in the way, like Mike Caldwell made them but thats just my opinion. What's your thought about this?
Thanks

You are looking at it in two different way. the first is the Collectable Value, which would be for the physical coin based on it's condition.

The second is it's monetary value, which is how many BTCs it is worth. The two values rarely are ever related or equal.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 08:00:46 PM

Thanks

That you should buy bitcoin and not Casascius.

Buy peptides with BTC
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:13:48 PM

These are held more as collectables, rather than major stores of value. If you want more btc, just buy that separately.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 08:38:39 PM

Thanks

That you should buy bitcoin and not Casascius.

Only buy Casascius if you are interested in them as history, art, or as a hobbyist.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 12:14:47 AM

I think Mike's security practices contribute to the markup.

I have a full set of BitBills (http://bitbills.com)...I don't think there is a markup on those. They predated Casascius coins by a while if I remember correctly.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:30:16 AM

The way I look at it, the physical coin conceals the private key which is needed to spend the 1 BTC output.  Someone can add a satoshi to the address, but that satoshi would constitute a wholly separate output.

If this perceived taint starts to count against a coin in the market, you'll very quickly see all coins become tainted (humans are like that).  Then, there will be no good reason to value certain coins over others based on taint.

I fully expect scratches and age to affect the value of a coin, but additional outputs shouldn't be a concern.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:02:36 AM

The way I look at it, the physical coin conceals the private key which is needed to spend the 1 BTC output.  Someone can add a satoshi to the address, but that satoshi would constitute a wholly separate output.

If this perceived taint starts to count against a coin in the market, you'll very quickly see all coins become tainted (humans are like that).  Then, there will be no good reason to value certain coins over others based on taint.

I fully expect scratches and age to affect the value of a coin, but additional outputs shouldn't be a concern.

+1

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:27:17 AM

Because the coins are not being made anymore, and there are only so many around. You would say the price will go up because they are original and getting more rare....

Rare... getting more rare....
And they are beautiful.
When I can afford to I would love to buy some.

Sat0shiSlot

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 04:10:22 AM

I don't think that anyone that knows how bitcoin works would mind there being a satoshi or two added to his/her Casascius coin. I wouldn't for sure. I would even consider "tainting" mine if I had any.
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 09:17:21 AM

The things that you mention are not even remotely similar problem.

trustnobody

Activity: 82

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:27:11 AM

I wouldn't buy Casascius, or only as the kind of art, you'd rather buy btc
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:03:14 AM

I think OP has a point. What if someone send a satoshi to that address with a signed message saying "this is a stolen coin" but infact it isn't. Would it still worth as much as one without?

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
vabtc

Activity: 55
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:14:49 PM

Rare... getting more rare....
And they are beautiful.
When I can afford to I would love to buy some.
[/quote]

Agreed.. PM me when you are interested. I have just about any one you'd want. BTC only Smiley
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:44:56 PM

Casascius Coins are great, but be aware that they have been compromised:
http://codinginmysleep.com/casascius-physical-bitcoins-cracked-at-defcon/
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:14:28 PM

As I recall, the method was not truly successful. Once done, it left signs of tampering on the holo.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 11:39:21 PM

some are selling the casascius coins for double their face value

so 1btc coins selling for 2btc

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
MarketNeutral

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 12:35:27 AM

As I recall, the method was not truly successful. Once done, it left signs of tampering on the holo.
Seems pretty successful to me, considering how little time and effort it took, and how easily their method could be improved upon by a determined thief. Distinguishing between tampering and natural wear might be difficult without a loupe and foreknowledge. 
MarketNeutral

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 12:37:41 AM

I know what you mean. Nevertheless, their tampering seems pretty successful to me, considering how little time and effort it took, and how easily their method could be improved upon by a determined thief. Distinguishing between tampering and natural wear might be difficult without a loupe and foreknowledge.  
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:24:41 AM

Mike Caldwell himself has said in his wordpress
"As far as I am informed, Sunday’s attacks on silver Casascius Coins left behind evidence of tampering and were not ruled a successful defeat."

The way I see it, if it was possible to be done successfully, it would have been done already, repeatedly. I havent heard of this happening.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: