Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:16:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP 16 switchover date pushed to April 1  (Read 6729 times)
Shawshank
Legendary

Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 08:56:55 PM

I have just checked out http://blockchain.info/p2sh and I have verified Deepbit has started voting for P2SH.

Great!  I just hope everything goes smoothly and multisig is a success!

Lightning Address: shawshank@getalby.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:47:00 PM

377 Support vs 32 Oppose  (and 591 who can't be bothered to include a couple bits in the coinbase to indicate an opinion one way or the other).
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 02:23:38 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2012, 03:03:57 PM by os2sam

377 Support vs 32 Oppose  (and 591 who can't be bothered to include a couple bits in the coinbase to indicate an opinion one way or the other).

And how, exactly, does one bother themselves "to include a couple bits in the coinbase"?  I have seen no options in any of my Bitcoin Clients to "vote" one way or another on any BIP!
Sam

Edit: sarcasm removed, for now Smiley

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 03:43:17 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2012, 08:39:09 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I have just checked out http://blockchain.info/p2sh and I have verified Deepbit has started voting for P2SH.

Great!  I just hope everything goes smoothly and multisig is a success!

An update:  It looks like Deepbit isn't supporting p2sh yet.  The "mystery miner" from Spain has modified his bitcoind to only send blocks to other major pools in an attempt to hide where they are coming from.  Since bitcoind uses the first IP it sees a block from to determine the owner it is thinking some of the mystery miner's blocks are from Deepbit.

WRONG.  Er wait I am talking to myself.  Looks like Tycho has turned on p2sh support in some blocks to test it out so likely those blocks are really Deepbit's blocks.
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 05:08:35 PM

377 Support vs 32 Oppose  (and 591 who can't be bothered to include a couple bits in the coinbase to indicate an opinion one way or the other).
And how, exactly, does one bother themselves "to include a couple bits in the coinbase"?  I have seen no options in any of my Bitcoin Clients to "vote" one way or another on any BIP!
Sam

Edit: sarcasm removed, for now :)
It's NOT a voting and just adding a couple of bytes will make things worse.
Those who include /P2SH/ in their coinbase aren't  just saying that they like BIP16, it means that their software is ready to support it.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 06:57:42 PM

And how, exactly, does one bother themselves "to include a couple bits in the coinbase"?  I have seen no options in any of my Bitcoin Clients to "vote" one way or another on any BIP!
Sam

Those who include /P2SH/ in their coinbase aren't  just saying that they like BIP16, it means that their software is ready to support it.

That's all well and good and informative.

But my point is that this "voting" can only be done by developers/programmers and not by ordinary mortals like myself since it requires a code change and recompilation.

So that gives developers free reign to do whatever they want, no matter what anyone else may think.
Sam

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:38:22 PM

Sam

But my point is that this "voting" can only be done by developers/programmers and not by ordinary mortals like myself since it requires a code change and recompilation.

So that gives developers free reign to do whatever they want, no matter what anyone else may think.
Sam

Really you are that helpless?  You can use choose to either use a p2sh capable bitcoind OR NOT.  You can choose to mine at a p2sh capable pool OR NOT.  Hence you can "vote" by your actions.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:58:34 PM

Sam

Sam

Really you are that helpless?  You can use choose to either use a p2sh capable bitcoind OR NOT.  You can choose to mine at a p2sh capable pool OR NOT.  Hence you can "vote" by your actions.

I can vote for it or not vote at all.

Your original post states your annoyance at the 591, which I'm part of, that are not voting for or against.  Since I'm not a programmer and you programmers have not built in the option for me to choose, I cannot vote against.  And since the current client also is voting for P2SH with NO NOTIFICATION to the end user you have force people to vote for it that have no idea they are.
Sam

DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 09:46:09 PM

Your original post states your annoyance at the 591, which I'm part of, that are not voting for or against.  Since I'm not a programmer and you programmers have not built in the option for me to choose, I cannot vote against.  And since the current client also is voting for P2SH with NO NOTIFICATION to the end user you have force people to vote for it that have no idea they are.
1. This is NOT a voting.
2. Not putting /P2SH/ in your coinsbase is the same as "voting against".

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 09:52:32 PM

Your original post states your annoyance at the 591, which I'm part of, that are not voting for or against.  Since I'm not a programmer and you programmers have not built in the option for me to choose, I cannot vote against.  And since the current client also is voting for P2SH with NO NOTIFICATION to the end user you have force people to vote for it that have no idea they are.
1. This is NOT a voting.

I've heard you say that many times.  But how does D&T come up with this statement?

"377 Support vs 32 Oppose  (and 591 who can't be bothered to include a couple bits in the coinbase to indicate an opinion one way or the other)."

Did he just make up the 32 that oppose?
Sam

DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 09:55:01 PM

1. This is NOT a voting.

I've heard you say that many times.  But how does D&T come up with this statement?

Did he just make up the 32 that oppose?
Sam
Those 32 blocks were generated by Eligius, but they won't be accounted for.
He is just saying "I'm against it", without any consequences for the "voting" because only "Support" blocks are counted.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: