Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:01:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: POC Algorithm  (Read 198 times)
Ken_terrance (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 18

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
December 15, 2020, 03:04:47 PM

It's been a very long time since I heard any thing about crypto projects that are using POC algorithm (Proof Of Capacity), project like burst coin for example can be mined with hard drive space, I know there are many coins like burst coin in the market but are there people who are still into this type of algorithm today?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬   Prasaga   │   Making Smart Money Work   ▬  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tech WP  /  Commercial WP  //  Twitter  /  Facebook  /  Discord  /  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Samayuki

Merit: 24

View Profile
December 15, 2020, 04:02:01 PM

Hmm I remember burst coin, at first proof of capacity was a big thing in crypto space but later things became extremely hard for this algorithm because of high difficulty, now you need tons of terabytes to be able to earn reasonable amount of profits, it will costs you alot than buying used graphics card to mine Ethereum, if you are trying to consider this don't even try

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Samayuki

Merit: 24

View Profile
December 15, 2020, 04:06:04 PM

Here are some cons why new developers aren't so interested in this algorithm again,

1. It became less popular for unknown reasons
2. It's more easier for malware to affect POC mining activities
3. Even if POC became a thing, HDD and SSD would be so high and unaffordable because of this algorithm just like some GPU are too expensive right now, HArd drive devs will have to produce even higher capacity hard drives

FireBallex

Activity: 462
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 15, 2020, 04:10:27 PM

I've heard about projects like BHD, Diskcoin, Burstcoin using the proof of capacity algorithm but the reason why I don't like this algorithm is because files can be easily corrupt on Hard disks drives, malwares can ruin every mining files for the owner, its going to be a big headache for the runners

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 15, 2020, 04:54:30 PM

This algorithm has lost its relevance, because the payback period is very long.
Malware can be defeated, but the prospect of mining on hard drives is poor. Video cards are universal,
they can mine, play, crack passwords, etc.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
PerfectCircle

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 16, 2020, 06:43:49 AM

POC coins are less Profitable, to make profits from this algo you will spend more on hard drive than you will ever spend on graphic cards for POW algorithm mining, I'm sure many aren't into proof of capacity anymore, at first it was promising because difficulty was lower but now it's not worth it anymore

New_order

Activity: 238
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 16, 2020, 08:32:59 AM

Mining with hdd will costs you more in short time because they can't handle 24/7 work all day, in very short time some HDD will die on you, graphic cards are more rugged and can handle massive heats thanks to their cooling system but not hard drives, many new projects don't use this Algorithm anymore so it doesn't make sense to expect much
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
December 16, 2020, 09:59:06 AM

Mining with hdd will costs you more in short time because they can't handle 24/7 work all day, in very short time some HDD will die on you, graphic cards are more rugged and can handle massive heats thanks to their cooling system but not hard drives, many new projects don't use this Algorithm anymore so it doesn't make sense to expect much

Why they can´t handle 24/7 mining? thats wrong. My HDD miners run over 1 year without any restart. HDD´s make no heat, so that also no point.

You can mine CHIA, it is new PoC Project. You can also use HDD for mining Filecoin or Storj. This give good profits.
minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
December 18, 2020, 11:56:29 AM

Unfounded nonesense.

If you read anything about POC you would know that the drives spin up for a few seconds every 4-5 mins on average, so are not running 24/7...however if that is a concern then simply buy an appropriate HDD (enterprise level)

Consumer GPUS are more rugged, again, total crap, used flatout they can die in weeks to months, with lower voltage, reduced fan speeds, then yes they can last quite a long time, but again, if you want max security then you would buy pro gpus, not consumer gpus.
minerja

View Profile
December 18, 2020, 12:30:02 PM

POC coins are less Profitable, to make profits from this algo you will spend more on hard drive than you will ever spend on graphic cards for POW algorithm mining, I'm sure many aren't into proof of capacity anymore, at first it was promising because difficulty was lower but now it's not worth it anymore

Unfounded none sense.

Virtually all coins start with low diff, which increases over time, so why wouldn't POC ?

The main issue with most POC coins is that when people started to move away from BURST, simply because they had clearly spend $1000s and weeks plotting, they choose to write clone which have 2 main issues.
1) They can share plots, so basically you keep your original BURST plots and can mine various other POC coins (clearly this only benefits the huge farms, and is the biggest hurdle for new miners)
2) They use crazy pool systems, where you earn virtually nothing unless you bind coins and then you earn about 3-4 times more ( i have never understood the process so can't describe it) but more often than not you need 1000s of coins before you can bind, and even then its unless you have 100's of TB. Most of these coins share plots and have many PB behind them.

So, if someone were to actually produce a BURST clone sticking with the BURST principles, and requiring completely fresh plots, then even new miners would get a slim chance.....(i mined more BURST with 2 x 2TB HHDs in the first year than i ever did 2nd time round with 100TB)
Like all algos and coins, its all about getting in early, and hoping that a particular coin grows in value over time....
minerja

View Profile
December 18, 2020, 12:31:49 PM

This algorithm has lost its relevance, because the payback period is very long.
Malware can be defeated, but the prospect of mining on hard drives is poor. Video cards are universal,
they can mine, play, crack passwords, etc.

In 4 years of mining POC coins , never had a malware issue, so unfounded nonesense.
if a hdd dies buy another and re-plot....not exactly hard to fix
walletrecovery
Copper Member

Activity: 414
Merit: 29

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2022, 04:59:33 PM

It's been a very long time since I heard any thing about crypto projects that are using POC algorithm (Proof Of Capacity), project like burst coin for example can be mined with hard drive space, I know there are many coins like burst coin in the market but are there people who are still into this type of algorithm today?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5392710.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: