Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:47:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Is Property Not Currency  (Read 14711 times)
iambk

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:04:58 AM

That doesn't really tackle my point regarding that you don't know what your gains are, because you don't know which coins you are exactly selling. If they are all fractional-mined at different values, you are getting profits or losses depending on WHEN they were mined. There is no way to track that information.

It would be pretty easy to write a script, using the blockchain API to iterate all the mining receive transactions during the tax year on the receiving address(es) and to get a historical exchange values from the same API.  The databases exist for free of charge, and you most likely have a computer that could run such a script.

Agreed.  If there is a demand and especially if people are willing to put up a little BTC for it then I'm sure programs will pop up to pull the exchange rates and help do the needed calculations.
sykal

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:07:19 AM

That doesn't really tackle my point regarding that you don't know what your gains are, because you don't know which coins you are exactly selling. If they are all fractional-mined at different values, you are getting profits or losses depending on WHEN they were mined. There is no way to track that information.

It would be pretty easy to write a script, using the blockchain API to iterate all the mining receive transactions during the tax year on the receiving address(es) and to get a historical exchange values from the same API.  The databases exist for free of charge, and you most likely have a computer that could run such a script.

please re-read my posts regarding the question remaining, how do you know which cashed out BTC, are from which exact mined BTC.
It helps zero to know, you received x btc at x price.

You need to know, that xyz bitcoin was recieved at xx price, and those same xyz bitcoin fraction was sold at yy price.
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:09:42 AM

No. But someone certainly will. All the way up to the Supreme Court I would bet.

And you will be right there, carrying a placard outside, right?

My $.02.

Wink

No.  Nice eyepatch btw.

Thanks!

Just funnin' ya on the replies!

We are all awash in new regs and trying to stay afloat!

My $.02.

Wink

Likewise Wink All I'm saying, there's been loopholes before. The IRS is known for them.
sykal

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:11:11 AM

Agreed.  If there is a demand and especially if people are willing to put up a little BTC for it then I'm sure programs will pop up to pull the exchange rates and help do the needed calculations.

You aren't getting it. Let me do an example:

to make it easy, lets keep fractions out of it. I mined 1 BTC yesterday, at a price of $550
I then mine 1 BTC today at a price of $600
I then mine 1 BTC tomorrow at a price of $650
Do this for 1 year.

I then sell 1 BTC. Tell me which BTC I sold. Was it a loss? a gain?
Where are you going to track exactly which coin was sold...especially if they're all partial coins (.25, .50, .25)...

I'll save the suspense...you can't track that.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 04:11:17 AM

A capital gain is a capital gain.  I don't think the IRS much cares if it is a pain in the ass for you to calculate.
I imagine they care about as much as I care that their tax laws will soon be virtually impossible to effectively enforce.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:13:34 AM

please re-read my posts regarding the question remaining, how do you know which cashed out BTC, are from which exact mined BTC.

You need to know, that xyz bitcoin was recieved at xx price, and those same xyz bitcoin fraction was sold at yy price.

You keep records. Then you apply these rules. Not really that hard, especially with these high tech gadgets we have now called computahs
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:20:56 AM

Your exchange keeps that information.   If they are required to report it to the IRS, they will.

If you don't want to pay your taxes, then using poor record keeping isn't an excuse for not paying your taxes.   Men with guns from the IRS can still come after you and demand payment of taxes using a worst case scenario (on your part) .
Stratobitz
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:22:52 AM

Your exchange keeps that information.   If they are required to report it to the IRS, they will.

If you don't want to pay your taxes, then using poor record keeping isn't an excuse for not paying your taxes.   Men with guns from the IRS can still come after you and demand payment of taxes using a worst case scenario (on your part) .

IRS agents don't carry guns.
iambk

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:23:41 AM

I believe you can use FIFO, LIFO, or pick yourself the associations.  Same as with stocks.
Stratobitz
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:24:45 AM

I believe you can use FIFO, LIFO, or pick yourself the associations.  Same as with stocks.

FIFO requires a ruling from the IRS for your company... It would put you on the radar.
iambk

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:26:02 AM

A capital gain is a capital gain.  I don't think the IRS much cares if it is a pain in the ass for you to calculate.
I imagine they care about as much as I care that their tax laws will soon be virtually impossible to effectively enforce.
You're right there is going to be a lot of BTC gains that don't get reported to the IRS.  All that I'm saying is that if you get caught then the "it was too complicated so I didn't report it" excuse isn't going to help you.
amspir

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:26:28 AM

IRS agents don't carry guns.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/01/18/gun-toting-at-the-irs/

iambk

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:27:30 AM

FIFO requires a ruling from the IRS for your company... It would put you on the radar.

what?

All I'm saying is that you can pick yourself which BTC purchases match up to which BTC sales, just like with stock.
Stratobitz
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:29:45 AM

what?

All I'm saying is that you can pick yourself which BTC purchases match up to which BTC sales, just like with stock.

No you can't. It's LIFO.
black3000gt

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:34:31 AM

For large transactions, they might be able to find them, but honestly, how can the IRS find out how much you mine?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:39:20 AM

No you can't. It's LIFO.

With stocks it is LIFO unless you identify specific shares when you sell. I haven't seen anything to say that bitcoin will be different that stocks, but who knows what is coming next.

EDIT: Correction stocks are FIFO (not LIFO) by default.
Stratobitz
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:41:48 AM

No you can't. It's LIFO.

With stocks it is LIFO unless you identify specific shares when you sell. I haven't seen anything to say that bitcoin will be different that stocks, but who knows what is coming next.

My bad, you are correct.
iambk

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:45:21 AM

I believe you can use FIFO, LIFO, or pick yourself the associations.  Same as with stocks.

what?

No you can't. It's LIFO.

My understanding is that stocks are taxed FIFO unless you designate to your broker which shares you're selling at the time of the sale.  If you designate at the time of the sale then you can pick whichever shares you want.

With BTC there isn't a broker so I assume you simply need to document your decision but I'm not a tax lawyer so I'm not really sure.
amspir

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:48:44 AM

For large transactions, they might be able to find them, but honestly, how can the IRS find out how much you mine?

If your exchange reports the sale of your bitcoin to the IRS, then they may/will make you pay tax on all of the bitcoin as regular income, if you can't document the source of the bitcoin, i.e. you are cyber drug dealer.

If you are a miner, then it would be advantageous to document the mining income as regular income (minus expenses) when you received the mining income, then pay tax lower capital gains rates on the profit from holding them when you cash out.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:48:57 AM

No you can't. It's LIFO.

Of course you can pick if you are using a wallet with coin control.

That just blew my mind.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: