Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:09:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Track of Pool Payouts  (Read 840 times)
MinorError (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:40:53 PM

How are you guys planning on keeping track of pool payouts for tax purposes? If I understand the tax code correctly, we have to keep track of every exchange of BTC AND the USD equivalent of the BTC value at the time that the transaction occured.

So, if you're mining, and you get paid out once a day, are you going to look up the current asking price of BTC and jot it down next to how many BTC's you were paid out that day? Also, from what I understand, if I sold Bob a pair of socks for one BTC, and that BTC was worth $1 at the time, but then when I went to do my taxes the BTC was worth $2 at the time, then according to the IRS I made a capital gain of $1 (on top of the $1 that I sold the socks for). Is this at all feasible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MinorError (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:07:17 PM

For those that haven't seen the recent IRS announcement:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-25/bitcoin-is-property-not-currency-in-tax-system-irs-says.html

This is really shitty news for those of us in the U.S. And for Bitcoin in general.
zzojar

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:44:41 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-25/bitcoin-is-property-not-currency-in-tax-system-irs-says.html

This is really shitty news for those of us in the U.S. And for Bitcoin in general.

Maybe, but good news for litecoin and dogecoin. Since treating btc like property rather than currency (like the IRS is pushing ... and of course the international bankers are behind this), then it will only promote the increased use of litecoin to act as the "currency".
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:55:21 AM

Maybe, but good news for litecoin and dogecoin. Since treating btc like property rather than currency (like the IRS is pushing ... and of course the international bankers are behind this), then it will only promote the increased use of litecoin to act as the "currency".

The guidance never uses the word bitcoin, specifically.  It says "virtual currencies" and, if I remember correctly, E-Currencies.  I don't see any reason to think Litecoin, Dogecoin or any other alternate crypto currency would be considered any different.
MinorError (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:14:58 AM

The guidance never uses the word bitcoin, specifically.  It says "virtual currencies" and, if I remember correctly, E-Currencies.  I don't see any reason to think Litecoin, Dogecoin or any other alternate crypto currency would be considered any different.

Yea this will effect all crypto currencies. Not just bitcoin.
sbabe

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:33:34 AM

It is actually good news.It will legalize cryptocoins. So people will get more awareness more people buy cryptocoins. So the price will increase.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:22:26 AM

It would actually decrease the value of the alt-coins as the reporting requirements are much higher now but there are still no uses for them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: