Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:53:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct DC Powering an Antminer ASIC With Solar / Alt Energy  (Read 675 times)
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 11:17:25 PM

Might want to plug some of the open holes dont want anything building a nest in it.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Longhorn901 (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 11:24:31 PM

Yup, that's on the list, them damn mud hornets are bad here in the summer.

Visit Tribe Crypto on Discord! https://discord.gg/BzSeuGs/
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 10, 2021, 12:35:36 AM

Yup, that's on the list, them damn mud hornets are bad here in the summer.

Whole new meaning to de-bugging  Grin
Longhorn901 (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 20, 2021, 10:19:00 PM

The system is working better than expected for the past 3 weeks now.
There's a couple things I need to address though,
1) When changing hash rates the miner stops mining therefore the current draw drops off causing the battery voltage to spike up to around 14 - 14.5 volts.
     I'm thinking to add a relay between the solar panels and the charge controller to stop the charging until the miner comes back up.

2) With a small battery bank the batteries get hammered hard when fast clouds are moving through all day.
     Probably this would be a good application for supper caps.

Visit Tribe Crypto on Discord! https://discord.gg/BzSeuGs/
Funkyoid

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2021, 07:13:08 PM

I’m new here but I’ve done the same thing. Only not used an arduino. Can you run me through how I’d do this. I’m more than happy to collaborate on this too, it’s my current mission to get it fully working.
alevchuk

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 12:32:08 PM

The system is working better than expected for the past 3 weeks now.
There's a couple things I need to address though,
1) When changing hash rates the miner stops mining therefore the current draw drops off causing the battery voltage to spike up to around 14 - 14.5 volts.
     I'm thinking to add a relay between the solar panels and the charge controller to stop the charging until the miner comes back up.  

As I understood the Arduino is for limiting voltage coming from solar but gets tripped when miner decides to draw less power. I'm trying to setup an S9 Antminer on solar. As a beginner starting with DC to AC inverter and AC to DC "power supply unit" yet can't help but wonder if I should go straight DC to DC. What is your estimate on the efficiency gain from eliminating the AC step?
skablast

Activity: 476
Merit: 19

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 01:03:17 PM

I am trying to understand why you would like to go DC DC

I have a 10 kw solar and 3 rigs working on 220v in an Island configuration without being attached to the grid
If I compare the production of the solar hybrid inverter system (with 27 Kwh lithium batteryDC/DC)  with what has been used by the rigs the loss of the inverter is 5 % max.

I

the 5 %  is worth the effort ?
Skinny48

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 02:36:47 PM

ASICS miners are power consuming that's why they are bad news for solar energy unless you are ready to invest more on the panels, here is the deal

If your ASIC draws 1500watts make sure your solar panel is double of the watt meaning you should invest on 3000 watt solar panels because you will have enough energy to charge the battery while you are mining so once sun is down you will have full batteries to mine for extra hours until the next day

GreenHash

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2021, 05:37:01 PM

Keep us informed Smiley
alevchuk

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 16, 2021, 04:56:45 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I am trying to understand why you would like to go DC DC

I have a 10 kw solar and 3 rigs working on 220v in an Island configuration without being attached to the grid
If I compare the production of the solar hybrid inverter system (with 27 Kwh lithium batteryDC/DC)  with what has been used by the rigs the loss of the inverter is 5 % max.

the 5 %  is worth the effort ?

27 Kwh battery sounds massive. Does that run the rigs 24/7? I agree, a 5% win would not be worth the effort. Thanks! - This is what I've been looking for. Btw, that's only the loss on the inverter (DC to AC). The S9 power supply (AC to DC) has a small fan on it. How much additional loss do you get on the power supplies? I'll presume it's additional 5% loss. Panels are cheap so provisioning extra power for that would not affect CapEx. Do you think eliminating the inverter and power supply would significantly reduce CapEx?
diggory_cedric

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2024, 03:16:13 AM

Hi Longhorn, I am looking to undertake a similar project. I have a converted School Bus that my family and I lived in for about 4 years that is now parked on a friend's farm after we moved back into our house. The bus has about 2000W of solar on it and I have about 1000W of extra panels I could connect to it. I wonder if you ever got your project up and running on 12V DC?
JayDDee

Activity: 1385
Merit: 220

View Profile
March 24, 2024, 03:47:57 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Off grid mining is not practical IMO. Mining needs reliable power to run the rigs 24/7. As they say in trucking: "if the wheels ain't turnin
the rig ain't earnin". There are many benefits to a grid tie-in especially if you get credit for excess production.

Off grid solar is best when you have a specific load that matches the solar cycle. Air conditioning comes to mind as an example.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: