Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:30:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum on Tails - 2FA Google Auth failing  (Read 54 times)
Yugten (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 06:55:21 PM

I recently trying to use my 32GB usb hadware using Tails with 2FA using Google Authenticator but keeps on failing when I entering the OTP. Any ideas?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 06:58:30 PM

Is your phone synced with the time servers? (settings>time corrections).

Have you kept your mnemonic? If you have you'll definitely be able to salvage the funds if necessary. Have you checked you're definitely using the right code too (you haven't made 2 wallets)?
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 08:34:57 PM

What 2FA app are you using? As jackg suggests, check the time on both your computer and your phone are correct.

Did you back up the 2FA code you were shown when you first set up the wallet? If so, you can import it in to a different 2FA app to see if that works.

If none of the above works, then the likelihood is you have made a mistake during set up and are generating a 2FA code for a different wallet. Use your seed phrase to restore the wallet and choose the option to disable 2FA during the restore process.
Yugten (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 08:35:48 PM

This is my first time to create a wallet thru Tails,the last step says scan the QR Code and enter the OTP but failed. Admin is enabled and Wi-Fi is connected.
I believe I followed the steps but looks like something is not synching or maybe an update somewhere?
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
January 04, 2021, 10:21:50 PM

Ahh right, so you can't even create the wallet in the first place? In that case, it is almost certainly a problem with the times on your two devices being out of sync.

Again, what 2FA app are you trying to use? Google Authenticator? Try using a different one such as Aegis, andOTP, or Tofu. These are all better than Google anyway since they are open source and allow you to export and back up your database, which Google Authenticator does not support. Check the time and date on both your computer and your phone match (not just within a few minutes of each other, but as exactly as possible. New codes are generated every 30 seconds, so even a few seconds delay may render a code invalid).

If all that fails, then try using a different device for your 2FA authenticator app, or make a wallet without 2FA at all and save on the extra fees that 2FA charges.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 05, 2021, 01:11:50 AM

If all that fails, then try using a different device for your 2FA authenticator app, or make a wallet without 2FA at all and save on the extra fees that 2FA charges.

You could always try 2fa'ing with electrum on your phone if you don't mind the app being visible in the home screen when using the phone normally - that way you'll again save fees and have similar security.

Generate seeds, copy across public keys somehow (qr code) and get a 2 of 2 multisig with the phone.

Then when you want to send a transaction you create it on the tails and sign it and then scan it with your phone (the camera icon on electrum).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: