Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 03:54:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting GPU mining  (Read 311 times)
batsonxl

Activity: 1197
Merit: 26

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 02:32:02 PM

Server psu working fine with me but with new cards i wont risk it, wait until people start using them. if you too confused buy asus b250 mining expert it has support for 3 psu without needing anything. get 2 psu and connect you will have enough pcie power cables for all
batsonxl

Activity: 1197
Merit: 26

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 02:33:02 PM

and also 2400w psu risky if something goes wrong it can take long time until it fries. and it fries very well Smiley
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 10:29:14 PM

Basically get a motherboard that supports multiple GPUs (get one that has 4+ PCIE slots), get some RAM (4 gigs is enough), cheap CPU that the motherboard supports and an SSD.

For PSU you can use one PSU for all of the system. Or you can buy 2 PSUs - one for the MOBO and everything attached to it and one purely for feeding GPUs with external power (server PSUs are good for that).

bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 10, 2021, 06:33:40 PM

Hey, got my hands on some 3080 and 3070 and I am starting to GPU mine.

Since I don't know what motherboard/CPU/PSU to buy, what would you recommend for the 4x3080 rig and 7x3070 rig (2 separate rigs)

Thanks

Your single most expensive item to buy after GPU is PSU.
If you cannot get your hands on one or more HP server PSUs, then read on.

Why build just one rig that in your case would require a monster PSU?
The price for a brand new EVGA 1600 Watt Gold rated PSU is through the roof;  nearly $600 in my country.
It is far cheaper to buy 2 brand new EVGA 850 GQ gold-rated PSUs for the same total wattage.  
So you could go the route of building more than one rig and total cost can still be lower.
The additional cost of buying one more mobo with CPU and RAM is small change in comparison, especially if you buy a mobo second hand.
You can get a 2nd/3rd hand ASUS mobo with a Celeron/Pentium/Core 2/i3 CPU for next to nothing.    You can get one with cpu and 4Gig of DDR2/DDR3 RAM for next to nothing.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: