Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:02:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet File Type Issue  (Read 1748 times)
Tony28 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 01:49:20 PM

Hi

I saved my previous Bitcoin wallet from an old MultiBit Version 0.5.14 this was back in 2013.

1) I have now downloaded MultiBit HD Version: 0.104, i have tried to drop my previous BitCoin wallet DAT.FILE into the new MultiBit HD download but realised that i named my previous wallet File type as "Wallet File and NOT  DAT.FILE.

I have tried to drop my wallet & since the wallet was previously names as a file type: "Wallet File and "NOT" Dat.File
the coins do not show up in my new wallet.

PLEASE Can anyone help me resolve this issue or somehow help me change the "file type" from "Wallet File to Dat.File

2) This new MultiBit HD Version 0.5.14 is already synchronised yet in the old MultiBit Version 0.5.14 synchronisation to many hours, is this how it should be? or have i done anything wrong?

Can someone PLEASE  help me resolve the above issues & quieries
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 04:11:26 PM

The wallets in MultiBit HD and the old MultiBit Classic are different.

If you have a wallet from MultiBit Classic 0.5.14 then I would advise downloading the latest MultiBit Classic release (0.5.19) from:
https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-classic-0.5.19/

You should just be able to open the wallet using File | Open.
Then just let it sync.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Tony28 (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 06:21:19 PM

Hi Jim618

Done what you reccommeded still no luck may be i am adding my wallet in wrong directory.

Any other suggestions PLEASE?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 10:59:24 PM

What operating system are you using?

Is the wallet file named wallet.dat? Could it be for bitcoin core instead of multibit?

Do you maybe have a folder with multibit-yyyymmdd....key files?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Tony28 (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:38:33 PM

Hi Shorena

I am using windows 7 - 64bit operating system.

I initially downloaded bitcoin in November 2011 from www.multibit.org Version 0.5.14 so unsure if was bitcoin core or multibit.
In 2011 i was using Windows XP but now Win 7 - 64 Bit.

I do indeed have key files dating back from November 2011.

I have saved my wallet files "file type" called Wallet files instead of Wallet.Dat, could this be cause of the issue?

I am currently using MultiBit Classic release (0.5.19) from:
https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-classic-0.5.19/ as advised by jim618 in this thread

Do i need to use a different Bitcoin version than my current one?

Can i recover my Bitcoins or are they gone forever?

Any advise or help is appreciated as i am unable to see my bitcoins in my wallet.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 08:54:07 PM

Hi Shorena

I am using windows 7 - 64bit operating system.

I initially downloaded bitcoin in November 2011 from www.multibit.org Version 0.5.14 so unsure if was bitcoin core or multibit.
In 2011 i was using Windows XP but now Win 7 - 64 Bit.

I do indeed have key files dating back from November 2011.

I have saved my wallet files "file type" called Wallet files instead of Wallet.Dat, could this be cause of the issue?

I am currently using MultiBit Classic release (0.5.19) from:
https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-classic-0.5.19/ as advised by jim618 in this thread

Do i need to use a different Bitcoin version than my current one?

Can i recover my Bitcoins or are they gone forever?

Any advise or help is appreciated as i am unable to see my bitcoins in my wallet.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

From the wallet files using multibit classic 0.5.19 should be be the correct client and the latest version. The wallet file(s) have to be in the correct folder though.

Hit Win + R to open the run menu, enter %APPDATA%\MultiBit and confirm with ok. An explorer window will open the correct folder.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 08:58:55 PM

Hi

I saved my previous Bitcoin wallet from an old MultiBit Version 0.5.14 this was back in 2013.

1) I have now downloaded MultiBit HD Version: 0.104, i have tried to drop my previous BitCoin wallet DAT.FILE into the new MultiBit HD download but realised that i named my previous wallet File type as "Wallet File and NOT  DAT.FILE.

I have tried to drop my wallet & since the wallet was previously names as a file type: "Wallet File and "NOT" Dat.File
the coins do not show up in my new wallet.

PLEASE Can anyone help me resolve this issue or somehow help me change the "file type" from "Wallet File to Dat.File

2) This new MultiBit HD Version 0.5.14 is already synchronised yet in the old MultiBit Version 0.5.14 synchronisation to many hours, is this how it should be? or have i done anything wrong?

Can someone PLEASE  help me resolve the above issues & quieries

You could possibly try reinstalling the software you used in 2013 if you still have the installation folder. Then, create a paper wallet or send the funds directly to your new wallet address. Some of the information like addresses will be deleted but it may be faster way of sending the Bitcoins than trying to change the format of the data (.dat) file.
Tony28 (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:59:55 PM

Hi

I Hit Win + R to open the run menu, entered %APPDATA%\MultiBit and the wallet back up files are in the correct folder.

Any advise on "HOW TO" changing my wallet file type to .Dat? The files were saved as Wallet File Type instead of .Dat type file.

Block chain has syncyronised but still noting showing in my Bitcoin wallet.

I feel if somehow if i can successfully change the file type to .Dat this may do the trick as i do not have my original Bitcoin software files that i used with Windows XP as now using Windows 7 - 64 bit.

Any advise on how to change the file type to .Dat?

Any additional comments or advise is & will be much appreciated.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 10:27:59 PM

Hi

I Hit Win + R to open the run menu, entered %APPDATA%\MultiBit and the wallet back up files are in the correct folder.

Any advise on "HOW TO" changing my wallet file type to .Dat? The files were saved as Wallet File Type instead of .Dat type file.

Block chain has syncyronised but still noting showing in my Bitcoin wallet.

I feel if somehow if i can successfully change the file type to .Dat this may do the trick as i do not have my original Bitcoin software files that i used with Windows XP as now using Windows 7 - 64 bit.

Any advise on how to change the file type to .Dat?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

You cant use the files from multibit in bitcoin core. You have to use multibit to open the file. From there you can export the keys and import them into core (meh) or just create a transaction from your old wallet to your new one (safer and easier).

Tony28 (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:35:40 PM

Hi Shorena

PLEASE CAN YOU KINDLY EXPLAIN STEP BY STEP PROCESS FOR YOUR FOLLOWING REPLY AS I AM NOT FAMILIAR TO HOW TO DO THE FOLLOWING:

You have to use multibit to open the file. From there you can export the keys and import them into core (meh) or just create a transaction from your old wallet to your new one (safer and easier).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 10:36:53 PM

Hi Shorena

PLEASE CAN YOU KINDLY EXPLAIN STEP BY STEP PROCESS FOR YOUR FOLLOWING REPLY AS I AM NOT FAMILIAR TO HOW TO DO THE FOLLOWING:

You have to use multibit to open the file. From there you can export the keys and import them into core (meh) or just create a transaction from your old wallet to your new one (safer and easier).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I pointed you to the multibit directoy above. Put your old files in there and start multibit classic (the 0.5.19 version) it should show your coins. If thats the case you can just create a transaction to yourself.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:02:16 PM

Hi Shorena

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I pointed you to the multibit directoy above. Put your old files in there and start multibit classic (the 0.5.19 version) it should show your coins. If thats the case you can just create a transaction to yourself.

Hopefully (s)he still have an installer for that version as it may be hard to find (virus free). (s)he may not have the application installed so it may be harder to send bitcoin from an old account to a new one. If they want to check if the coins are there, they could always go to blockchain.info/address/"youraddress". This may show you how much you have however, te data may be unreliable!
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:16:07 PM

Hi, do you have windows set to show file extensions in windows 7 explorer? Maybe that's part of your issue?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions#show-hide-file-name-extensions=windows-7

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
GoldTiger69

Activity: 582
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:46:41 AM

And if I remember correctly, you need more than just one file for Multibit wallets to work.
Look here to make sure you have all the files you need: https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_fileDescriptions.html

Forget about converting the *.wallet to *.dat, there is no software that does that yet (AFAIK).

hope that link helps Smiley

I can help you to restore/recover your wallet or password.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234619.0
Tony28 (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 06:18:58 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 07:06:09 AM by Tony28

Hi

I have managed to locate & find my Bitcoins which are now in my wallet.

MANY THANKS to everyone who helped me  & contributed to my thread.

obl

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 25, 2020, 06:33:03 PM

hello guys ,
i just wanna know what are all file types ( extensions)  of bitcoin wallets used by bitcoin clients ( especially online ewallets ) !!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: