Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:54:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitcoin-qt "core"  (Read 1561 times)
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:17:53 AM

Hiya, I have started a new system with a used wallet (plenty of backups) Went to download the bitcoin-qt and found a new version. https://bitcoin.org/en/download     is what I used. (64 bit)
No problem, I installed it, put my wallet on, It does not show anything in pending Huh I am downloading the block chain from scratch, I have done this before but it still shows the amount as pending.

Is this new, Will it just confirm in as it updates?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:37:15 AM

Yes, any pending balance will confirm as you catch up with the chain and/or transactions get confirmed.

It's strange that you need a new block chain download though. That should not be necessary when upgrading to 0.9.0.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:58:18 AM

Yes, any pending balance will confirm as you catch up with the chain and/or transactions get confirmed.

It's strange that you need a new block chain download though. That should not be necessary when upgrading to 0.9.0.

Thanks for reply, Tho I think you need to re-read what I said  Grin

There is no pending balance, And It is a new machine, hence the new blockchain download.

I have since gone back to 0.8.6 and the Pending is showing again Huh (still downloading blockchain)

Just wondered if this is a bug?
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:50:01 PM

Strange, I had no problems - I keep my wallet data on a separate SSD so I simply uninstalled the old version, installed the new 64bit version, pointed it at my old wallet data folder & voila - it fired up immediately.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:48:51 PM

I must be doing something wrong, VERY wrong, I have since updated a completely different computer to the new "core 64-bit" edition.

I was greeted with "wallet corrupt" then "no wallet loaded" then "Block chain corrupt re-index blockchain? So I clicked ok, Got up to block 222408 and got "bitcoin corrupt" and just exited, I have put back on 0.8.6 everything is fine.
h3m96

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 08:20:04 PM

I just installed the new 0.9.0 Bitcoin Core myself, and I had an older 0.8.6 wallet on Windows 7.  I didn't uninstall the old one, and the new one started up fine.  But when I accidentally started up the old one later, it caused definite problems.  I had to delete everything from appdata/roaming except the wallet & peers file & let it redownload the blockchain.  However, it threw another error at me as it was getting the blockchain about not being able to read the wallet file, so I don't know what I've done.  I was hoping the new software would have the ability to detect the older version!!!  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seeing it is a wallet with money in it.  We need clear instructions on the bitcoin site about upgrading do's and dont's in my opinion, or lots of people will be posting about the issues, I can see it coming.  Smiley
mchrist152

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:16:03 PM

Worked fine for me.  I uninstalled the 32-bit version of 0.8.6 then installed the 64-bit version of 0.9.0 on a Win7 system after backing up my wallet, of course.  When I ran the new version everything just worked like I had never done anything.  That was a pleasant surprise since, as a general rule, this is not my normal experience with upgrading software.  The site does say to uninstall the old software first.  Maybe that's the trick, and if you don't, bad things happen.  Just speculating but that would be my guess.
h3m96

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:33:57 PM

Oh, I must have missed that, I didn't see where it said to uninstall 0.8.6.   It is working fine now.
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:15:13 AM

Oh, I must have missed that, I didn't see where it said to uninstall 0.8.6.   It is working fine now.

Yes, I am going to try this again, I did uninstall both times before, Are we saying that I need to manually delete all linked files/folders/blockchain for this to work?
h3m96

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:22:05 AM

If I understand you correctly, that is what I did, I removed everything except wallet.dat and peers.dat and let it re-download everything with the new version.  But remember I had both installed simultaneously and then inadvertently pulled up the older version and it gave error messages so I don't know if my situation is exactly like yours. 
IYFTech

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:43:46 PM

I'm also having issues with the latest Bitcoind v9 - my latency just creeps up & up:

Tried everything, reinstall from ppa included - anyone else had this problem?

Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
h3m96

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:38:54 PM

Hey IYFTech: what is latency and how can I use the getwork protocol with solo mining, do you know?  Also, I installed a fresh Xubuntu 12 to use my Radeon HD 8770 and it always locks up on me after using the GPU a few minutes.  Have you had that happen on Xubuntu?  About the wallet though, I'm on Win 8 and so far no problems at all. 
IYFTech

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 01:11:07 AM

Hey IYFTech: what is latency / and how can I use the getwork protocol with solo mining, do you know? /  Also, I installed a fresh Xubuntu 12 to use my Radeon HD 8770 and it always locks up on me after using the GPU a few minutes. / Have you had that happen on Xubuntu? / About the wallet though, I'm on Win 8 and so far no problems at all. 

SSD Latency:  AKA “response time” or “wait time”.

Within a computing system it is the amount of time between a request to a resource being issued, and when that request is served.  Consider a support call center for an elementary example. “Latency” is the amount of time a customer has to wait after dialing the support number until a representative is available to service the call.

I only use stratum.

I don't solo mine so couldn't tell you.

I stopped using GPU's 6 months ago so can't remember I'm afraid.

No.

Windoze 8?  Roll Eyes

Peace  Grin

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 08:39:24 AM

I'm also having issues with the latest Bitcoind v9 - my latency just creeps up & up:

Tried everything, reinstall from ppa included - anyone else had this problem?

Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

I've not had this problem, since I have yet to even use the newest version to store my zero bitcoins, but there are some questions that may clarify to others what you are experiencing:

1. Is the latency you are describing the amount of time for an RPC getwork request to receive a response? Is it on the local network, using any proxies or pool software etc? Do other RPC commands have a similar unexplained delay?

2. You reply "SSD latency" which would be completely different than #1. If your whole SSD drive becomes less responsive while Bitcoin is thrashing it (like during block download), it may be because of flash memory garbage cleanup running in the background inside the drive. This can be improved by both ensuring TRIM support is enabled on an AHCI-supporting hard drive controller in both BIOS and your OS, and by leaving lots of free space on the drive, even unpartitioned space, so that flash memory doesn't need to be immediately cleared for reuse. Writing data to flash memory is fast, but the technology of erasing deleted data from flash memory cells for reuse is slow.

For what purpose are you making getwork requests if you aren't mining?
IYFTech

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:32:56 PM

I used to hover around 0.2 with the older client, but since updating it would gradually rise over a few hours until I restarted it, then it would gradually rise again:

I done some digging around on da webz, looking at ways to reduce latency on SSD's (I have my Xubuntu 12.04 64bit OS on one SSD & my wallet data for 6 coins on a separate, faster SSD) & came across this excellent article:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd#TOC-After-the-installation:-noatime

I added the noatime to both SSD's, enabled trim using cron (RIG is always on - of course Wink), changed scheduler to deadline, updated grub then rebooted as instructed. The results were a slight improvement after about 20 hours of running, but still gradually rising with high peaks. I then noticed the note at the bottom of the article "Ubuntu 12.04: change the scheduler to deadline" which states: "Note: when you have only an SSD in your computer and no platter disk as well, then you may experience a slight performance benefit by choosing noop for scheduler, instead of deadline."  So, I then changed the scheduler to noop, updated grub & rebooted again - here are the results:

Not brilliant, but much better. This is a work in progress & I'm still tweaking, but hopefully this will help you guys out if you're having similar issues as me with the new bitcoin client. If I get it any better I'll post here with what I done  Grin

If it helps anyone - have a spliff  Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: