Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:37:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin inheritance  (Read 182 times)
reelstuff

Activity: 18
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2021, 01:51:54 PM

This is a great topic, here is a thought provoking "What if"  Uncle John Doe, has a terrible accident, without a will the state marches in and takes the house, cars, all property and auctions it off for "whatever they can get"  What happens to his bitcoin?  probably ends up on ebay in the form of someone that bought the old laptop that is mostly useful for parts.   So that 20.00 hard drive with bitcoin on it, ends up in the eager hands of a kid who formats the drive in the hopes he can mine some bitcoin...  Ironic. LOL,  But in reality You need a Will and a lawyer, (if you can find a good one)  A lawyer that is.  Roll Eyes
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 06:52:47 PM

It's really not a problem if you have normal relations with your family.

My closest family knows that I own bitcoins and how to access my wallets in case I got sick or died. I don't have to hide it from them because I trust them and they never stole from me. Why would they steal if they can simlply ask.

Many people will never need to inherit bitcoins because they are unregistered. When I die they can take my wallet and spend at will without getting a lawyer and telling the government that now my bitcoins belong to them. 
ChrisPop
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 08:08:58 PM

I'm wondering how inheritance would work. I mean if you share your private keys with your children before you die, they can move them to another wallet before you die and you would never know if it was them who did it.

The only solution I can think of is a sophisticated smart contract that gets activated only with a code on a testament or something like that.
xiboothrezi

Activity: 1246
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2021, 08:28:30 PM

It's really not a problem if you have normal relations with your family.
~
That is the importance of communication to build family harmony.
Even though I currently don't have many assets, I have shared everything related to ownership of these assets with my wife. I teach my wife about cryptocurrency, so we work together to make a profit from this ecosystem. She knows what to do if any time I leave the world first, I have also prepared some important notes for access to all my wallets.
It is very important to have a partner you can count on to help you.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄               ▄▄▀█
    ▄█        ▀▄         ▄▄▀▀   █
  ▄▀ ▐▌         █    ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄█
▄▀▀▀ █           █▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀  █
▀▀▄█▌▌       ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄▀
   ▀▄█    ▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀
     █   █                      ▄▄▄
      █ ▐▌            ▄▄       █   █▄
       █▀█         ▄▀▀ █        ▀▄ ▀██
       █  ▀▄     ▄▀   ▄ █         █
       █  ▄ ▀▄  █    █   ▀▀▀▄   █▀▀
      █  ▄▀  ▐▌█      █  ▄▀  █ ▐▌