Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:02:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will history repeat itself? (4GB GPU)  (Read 221 times)
FloppyPurpleGherkin (OP)

Activity: 306
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 10:37:07 PM

Back in late 2016 - mid '17 I thought my 280x/7970's from '14 were pretty much done for.. Along came Zcash amongst a few others to make them profitable again for at least another 2 years until 2017 - '18 they got replaced.

Right now, My 4GB 570/580's are looking at the same fate! Will something come along to save them? Or is there time truly up? as they drop to below half their normal hashrate, to around 15mh.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
darkdude

Activity: 113
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 12:21:02 AM

I was in the same boat as you with my 4gb cards.  I sold some, and have two left.  mining etc for now.  You wont get rich off etc (making like 50 cents per card)  but   it still is profitable after electric (for now)
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 05:39:48 AM

All computer components become absolute by the time like in 5-10 years. as soon as ethereum profit gets low all 30mhs speed will not save the day because newer cards will be profitable markets adjust itself to new speeds. when profit is low even 8g polaris cards will be useless too. people who had 7870,290,390 dont mind it because these cards did their job and happy. im happy i will keep my old friends with me like memory it is legend cards.
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 06:35:57 AM

Have you try to look for new altcoins to mine? That's the only thing you can do if you tend to keep your 4gb rx470s or other, the problem is out to do research on the coins before you mine them, you need to make sure that the new coin have good utility before mining, you can use this pool to check out new altcoins

https://miningpoolstats.stream/newcoins

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 06:48:40 AM

I don't think the 4GB will ever be profitable again. Reason why is because most coins these days are tokens and are not POW. Back in 2014 and 2018 you had tons of choices for what to mine with your GPUs. These days its mostly ETH and a few coins which make almost no profit.

You should just post it on Craiglist and some gamer will buy it within the week. Sell for like $75 each and you will see  you will have desperate gamers waiting to buy your GPU. Seems due to covid people are stuck at home and there are supply shortage and every GPU is sold out. Hence why its the perfect time now to sell GPUs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Maxstl007

Activity: 210
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 07:59:23 AM

Back in late 2016 - mid '17 I thought my 280x/7970's from '14 were pretty much done for.. Along came Zcash amongst a few others to make them profitable again for at least another 2 years until 2017 - '18 they got replaced.

Right now, My 4GB 570/580's are looking at the same fate! Will something come along to save them? Or is there time truly up? as they drop to below half their normal hashrate, to around 15mh.

You can sell these GPUs for better money on ebay up to 100$ I believe cos I'm seeing more than that on ebay, selling yours at cheaper rate will attract serious buyers and thank God RX470 and 570 are still good for 1080p PC gamers so I'm sure there will be buyers for the GPUs
Eco_111

Activity: 210
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 09:20:02 AM

It's better to sell and buy better graphic cards with 6gb or 8gb video memory, there is no hope holding unto this cards with 4gb because very soon they will be completely useless, you can still sell to gamers for good amount of money, do this before it's too late, if it's still a NO then start hunting for fresh coins
Gunday_07

Activity: 280
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 09:37:16 AM

I don't think the 4GB will ever be profitable again. Reason why is because most coins these days are tokens and are not POW. Back in 2014 and 2018 you had tons of choices for what to mine with your GPUs. These days its mostly ETH and a few coins which make almost no profit.

You should just post it on Craiglist and some gamer will buy it within the week. Sell for like $75 each and you will see  you will have desperate gamers waiting to buy your GPU. Seems due to covid people are stuck at home and there are supply shortage and every GPU is sold out. Hence why its the perfect time now to sell GPUs.
4gb cards can still be profitable again if a new Ethash Algorithm based altcoin comes out in near future but most new projects of nowadays are all using ERC20 smart contract blockchain, there are some new cryptonight coins out there but majority of them aren't reliable, the lower the mining difficulty the better

sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 12:01:32 PM

You can mine beam or raven, much more profitable than etc. If you mine etc, dual mine it with zil
KaratX

Activity: 252
Merit: 29

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 12:07:02 PM

History might not repeat itself because most new coins today are running off erc20 smart contract and those that use different blockchain are introducing proof of stake algorithm instead of POW, it can be tougher to see a good new POW coin to mine nowadays

KaratX

Activity: 252
Merit: 29

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 12:08:42 PM

You can mine beam or raven, much more profitable than etc. If you mine etc, dual mine it with zil
Hi sxemini I heard that octopus algorithm is far more profitable than other algorithms except Ethereum only right now, is this true? The only Octopus algorithm coin I can find is Conflux, are there any other coins that are using octopus algorithm?

Greatdev

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 12:18:08 PM

Hi sxemini I heard that octopus algorithm is far more profitable than other algorithms except Ethereum only right now, is this true? The only Octopus algorithm coin I can find is Conflux, are there any other coins that are using octopus algorithm?
Not all GPUs are Profitable when mining octopus algorithm and today Ethereum is still more profitable than octopus, it thus makes sense to keep mining Octopus algorithm cos I've seen some post about how Profitable the algorithm is on obsolete cards

Furryball

Activity: 490
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 04:56:31 PM

Well thanks to lolminer 4gb cards and asic miners can still mine Ethereum only at a lower hashrates but as time goes on they even become more lower on hashrate power, it's just better to buy 8gb cards and sell those with 4gb memory, the zombie mode on lolminer that makes this mining works on 4gb gpus won't be able to help forever

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
safar1980
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1615

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 05:16:35 PM

These graphics cards have been the best and fastest paybacks in the last 4 years.
If you have the opportunity to exchange them for more profitable ones, then you can do it. And at current prices of Ethereum coins, you can still mine 4-7 epochs on them.
It is also possible to change the memory on these video cards by 8 GB. But in China, prices are $ 20 for a 1 GB memory module. You need to pay 160 USD for the memory kit only.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: