Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:30:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OWS Movement and Bitcoin: a Match Made in Heaven?  (Read 1368 times)
StewartJ (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 08:52:28 PM

Noticed about a month ago that there was thread on this Forum to accept donations for OWS , but then no more news.

Are these 2 movements not perfectly suited for the other?

We the 99% are fed up with big banks and government controlling our financial destinies. Bitcoins should be the perfect answer to this tyranny of centralized currency.

Why are there not more news stories about Bitcoin in light of the nascent OWS Movement?

Thoughts? Suggestions???

SJ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 09:11:44 PM

Because they don't really care and most of them are just there to party...
I tried several times to bring up bitcoin as an idea, but they aren't  even interested in the slightest way. (maybe some are, but i haven't met them)

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 09:25:20 PM

Most of the OWS people probably don't see Bitcoin as a solution to the problem.
The problem, as I see it, is financial institutions stealing money from the people and getting away with it.
Bitcoin gives no guarantee to solve this issue.

Though, of course the way it gets created gives a great benefit to the people, over the traditional money.
But I don't think the majority of OWS protestors understands that - maybe not yet, maybe never, maybe it doesn't matter who creates the money and only matters who has them...

IMO, if Bitcoin will ever get adopted to the public sector, it will rather be by the bankers. After they run out of traditional money, they will adopt any currency out there to keep the institutions running. They did it with gold few centuries ago, they can easily do it with Bitcoin, especially when their times turn bad.
OWS protesters are not focused to care about money - banks are. So despite of being a big fan of Bitcoin, I would keep Heaven out of the equation Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 10:22:37 PM

Half of them love bitcoin, half of them hate it. The problem is that the half that hates it... is most of the organizers. I mean, we can keep trying, I know I have been trying. But it's unlikely that the OWS movement will officially recognize BTC as the solution to any problems.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 10:38:29 PM

http://p2pfoundation.net/OWS_Currency

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 10:43:43 PM

... half that hates it... is most of the organizers. ...

you have anything to prove that statement... ? i'm not picking on you just trying to find out if ows leaders are honest people or have some hidden agenda to follow. I have a hunch...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 10:58:50 PM

Bitcoiners were among those who marched from #OccupyLA to the Federal Reserve last week:

'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zi6IJWC2_I by videoforvanquish  (Burning the FRNs at 0:06:40 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYQv3n-WyI8 by AdamKokesh (Adam vs. The Man)

But not all occupiers in L.A. were in support of this march:
"END THE FED MARCH = YOU ARE BEING CO-OPTED!"
http://occupylosangeles.org/?q=node/2169

The Fed is the sole enabler of Congressional and Executive overspending and It is great to see awareness of The Fed grow.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

StewartJ (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 11:19:59 PM

My 2 Cents...

Thousands of OWS folks recently joined the switch-from-big bank-to-small-bank movement that was promoted to them, and it made news on all the networks. So one would think that the OWS movement would be ready for Bitcoin.

I was at a an OWS meeting in my neck of the woods (desert?). Someone there spoke on behalf of bitcoin, giving the basic idea of it, the URL to get more info.

If only there were more bitcoin promoters with the OWS crowds who could speak this concept, from their podiums.

Maybe if the Bitcoin Community / Exchanges / Promoters organized a Bitcoin "Partnership" with the OWS movement Huh

I'll keep thinking outside the box on this one....

Thanks for the replies.  Smiley

SJ

deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 11:26:05 PM

Whether it is dollars, euros, pesos, or bitcoin...  there will always be a 1% and a 99%.  Unless everyone holding major bitcoins wants to pass them around and share with us poor 99%ers.

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 11:30:17 PM

you have anything to prove that statement... ? i'm not picking on you just trying to find out if ows leaders are honest people or have some hidden agenda to follow. I have a hunch...
Just from discussions with the people I've talked to. I don't have any links to facts or evidence. They're good people, they just can't come to trust the Bitcoin network.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 11:38:40 PM

Just from discussions with the people I've talked to. I don't have any links to facts or evidence. They're good people, they just can't come to trust the Bitcoin network.

got it, with enough time they will start trusting when people around them use bitcoin daily

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 11:41:16 PM

But not all occupiers in L.A. were in support of this march:
"END THE FED MARCH = YOU ARE BEING CO-OPTED!"
http://occupylosangeles.org/?q=node/2169

The Fed is the sole enabler of Congressional and Executive overspending and It is great to see awareness of The Fed grow.

The "discussions" in the comments of that page make me very, very, very sad.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 12:37:58 AM

Whether it is dollars, euros, pesos, or bitcoin...  there will always be a 1% and a 99%.  Unless everyone holding major bitcoins wants to pass them around and share with us poor 99%ers.

Bitcoin isn't designed against making a profit or against big corporations.

However, the current monetary system IS designed to keep the 99% poor and the 1% rich, and worse, it's designed to increase the gap dramatically over time.

In that aspect, bitcoin is very different, i don't think everybody should be equally wealthy/poor, some people are just lazy /b/tards, some work their ass off their entire lives. Also money becomes useless when everybody is treated as absolute equals.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: