Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:35:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto art? EDUCATE ME  (Read 300 times)
Starlost (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2020, 11:38:32 PM

Crypto Art (1 or 2 words?)

Let me see what I understand and what I don't. And please correct me.

Ok, so Mr. Artist makes a work of art on a computer. The artist then uploads it to a NFT art website. That website puts a copy of the art on the blockchain and records in the ledger "Mr. Artist Owns This".

Mr. Buyer buys the digital art through the website. The website updates the ledger to say "Mr. Buyer owns this".

Does the buyer now own all rights to the art?

If Mr. Buyer does not own the rights to all reproduction and copyright licenses then why buy it?
It's not the original. To own the original then you'd have to go and get Mr. Artist's PC where the original pre-upload file is stored with the original 1's and 0's on disk.
Unless he defragged his drive and the computer copied the 1's and 0's to a new location and erased the original 1's and 0's to allocate free space.

It seems that, unless the copyright and reproduction rights transfer with the ledger entry, all one is buying is just bragging rights for a specific ledger space with no actual purpose.

Educate me, please.

(posted from my phone)
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 3165

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2020, 11:51:22 PM

I am not sure that I understand you correctly, but I will try.
I think you talking about copyright on some digital goods, right? there are different levels of ownership of the digital good, in many cases is okay to pay only permission to use some art or whatever. it makes a big difference if you take something just for your personal needs, or you want to use something for commercial use. Also, complete rights to some goods are a special category and can have a very high value or even be invaluable, while the rights to use a copy can have a symbolic value.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Starlost (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2020, 12:11:06 AM

If I went to Shutterstock and bought a copy of "Family Picnic #466532", that purchase only grants me a non-watermark copy with free-use rights.

This means I can put it in my website with no watermark and they won't sue me for copyright infringement.

However, if I buy "Crypto Art", then what am I buying? It's obviously not the "original" so the "I own the original Stary Night and it's in my bathroom" brag surely can't apply.

It's not a "hard to get non-watermark" copy, because that's recorded on the blockchain in public view, isn't it?

And Van Gogh would make way more money licensing rights to use to multiple people rather than rights of ownership to a single person.

So what are people actually buying when they buy Crypto Art? What is the motivation to the buyer?
cryptoaddictchie
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1315

View Profile
December 09, 2020, 04:03:24 AM

If you are talking about nft then it's definitely a different case. Since these nft uploaded on open market such as opensea, and rarible are art designed that have been minted on blockchain. Mostly in the format of erc721 or erc1155.

So what are people actually buying when they buy Crypto Art? What is the motivation to the buyer?

People buy arts for satisfaction of the arts. However nfts majority being minted and sell on the market is not about the love of arts. Some bought these nft due to the use case of those nft. There are plenty of nft that have some benefits to holders like the pgfk nft which give more airdrops from their partnerships. Some also used on farming, different objective. But if some freely love arts then their just buying for collection especially those rare art nfts.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Starlost (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 12:12:50 AM

But they aren't actually buying the art, are they?
They are buying a slot in the ledger that says they own a token. The token just has a copy of the art embedded in it.

It sounds like buying 1 of 500,00 Nike Air Dunks. But the one you buy has a copy of "Michael Jordan" signature stamped on it by the factory press and paying $50k for it.

All of the other "Nike Air Dunks"(NFT) sell for $40. A $40.00 shoe(NFT) with a stamp.

I don't get the motivation because you can just buy another NFT from the same blockchain and download a copy of the picture from online.

Unless some type of art ownership rights transfer with the token, what is the motivation?

minedhash

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 26, 2020, 08:25:06 AM

Blockchain and the art world are becoming increasingly intertwined. And this marriage has the potential to revolutionize the art world.

First of all, tokenized art refers to the process of converting the rights of a digital asset into NFT tokens on the blockchain.

https://minedhash.com/2020/08/blockchain-and-the-art-world-a-gift-from-the-gods/

Non-fungible tokens are a special type of cryptographic token that represents unique digital items such as artworks, sports memorabilia, in-game items, and virtual real estate.

These tokens are fully transparent and act as verified proof of ownership of unique digital assets such as art

In addition, they eliminate forgeries by providing proof of authenticity with all data related to the art piece secured on the blockchain.

Finally, NFTs ensure rarity by tracking the history of each artist so you know the exact number of artworks in circulation.
satsmainman

Activity: 364
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 26, 2020, 12:22:18 PM

I clearly understand your point of view OP and to a very high extent i agree with what you're thinking. In case of what OP is saying, since this art piece are created digitally and the transfer of ownership is carried out digitally also, rather than the traditional art pieces we know that are physically created and can easily change ownership because they are tangible.

The post right above mine shed so much light. Nice question OP, i will love to hear other bitcoiners views in this regards.
bittreo
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 26, 2020, 02:44:33 PM

I wanted to ask the very same question right after I saw such arts are being sold with a huge price tag. You have neatly put the point here. I think this thread should bring NFT lovers' attentions. I am not determined that one should not definitely buy such arts because of owning digital rights but I want to understand the point of buying such arts.

Finally, NFTs ensure rarity by tracking the history of each artist so you know the exact number of artworks in circulation.

I loved one art which has been put on sale for a great price on NFT. Now I pick a very creative painter with a great experience and ask him to create the same on canvas. I pay him some fees and put it on auction offline and eventually I get it sold with a good price. Where did that point of tracking history of artists benefited as NFT has not certainly accommodated all artists in the world.
Starlost (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 01:35:52 AM

I understand the value of tying a NFT to a physical artwork, or tying an NFT to digital goods used in a digital application such as a game.

What I fail to understand is tying an NFT to a digital artwork solely for the purpose of having digital art on the blockchain.

This does not apply to digital art.
If the digital art is displayed on a website then anyone can copy it.

On the aspect of PHYSICAL art or rarity having a blockchain record- I can COMPLETELY understand that to prove chain of custody for authentication.

Reading the article posted above:
Digital art forms have been around for years, but were difficult to monetize. This is because of the ease with which they could be replicated. Artists were unable to prove ownership of their works. Therefore, it was difficult to build a marketplace around digital art works.
↑ this is very NOT true.
If you copyright an image then you can prove it's yours.
And placing digital art on the blockchain does not make it un-copy-able.
It also does NOT prove you own the rights to the artwork.
If I copied "Starry Nights" to an NFT that is not proof that I own the rights to Starry Nights.

So imagine going to a place like Shutterstock. Buy reuse permission to one digital artwork such as "Dad Hugs Wife #1552"
Then upload the not-watermarked copy to an art NFT website. The fact that you have an NFT token associated with that digital art will not grant you copyright protection to it in ANY court.

So whoever paid $777,777.77 for that digital art that I herd about in the news...
It really sounds like a fool and his money were parted.

Husires
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1285

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2020, 07:52:26 AM

Blockchain is suitable for use for things that depend on digitization completely, if you need something that transforms digital things into physical, then you need a gateway to do this transfer, those gateways will be central and must be trusted. We need central platforms in order to transfer money from dollars to paper money.

digital art need to trust these gateway and those we broken the decentralization.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
sant0s80

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 28, 2020, 02:09:19 PM

This is where you are missing the point. Yes, you can copy it but NFT's origin guarantees it being unique and having history ownership.
What's the point of having a file if it has no value? And you have no value because you can't sell the file, only the NFT.

It would be interesting to see some NFT display with encryption included and so. I believe in the future we'll have more privacy regarding NFTs and art so it's not even displayed in full resolution or full colors or similar.
Starlost (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2021, 09:00:03 PM

This is where you are missing the point. Yes, you can copy it but NFT's origin guarantees it being unique and having history ownership.
What's the point of having a file if it has no value? And you have no value because you can't sell the file, only the NFT.

It would be interesting to see some NFT display with encryption included and so. I believe in the future we'll have more privacy regarding NFTs and art so it's not even displayed in full resolution or full colors or similar.

You are incorrect.
NFT does not prove ownership.
As proof, I uploaded this image to a digital art website and it now has an NFT token address.
By your statement, that proves I own this image. Do I?
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/MFHVMYQCeJHMGop4u8VkzJ.jpg

hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2021, 01:07:25 PM

If we overcome obstacles that may make it difficult to ensure that the scanned copy is identical to the NFT Digital token, how will the network continue to be supported?
The Bitcoin network continues because the community supports it through tx fees, which are deducted from each transaction, so how will that network be supported? Will it take money from users? Then it will be central.

Don't forget that the art exhibits are expensive, so 51% attack is available.

In short, there are better ways to ensure that the owners' intellectual rights are preserved.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cryptoperkele

Activity: 889
Merit: 60

View Profile
January 24, 2021, 08:21:14 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2021, 09:40:56 PM by cryptoperkele

You have to think the ownership very differently from buying physical collectables. With virtual art you are basically buying data that's connected to some other data. You own the proof of a connection. This connection can represent rights to the art. If the game that sells NFT objects or Virtual gallery that sells art or the site that hosts the pictures quits their operation, the connection is severed and you only own the tokens that are connected to nothing.

Chlotide

Activity: 305
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 12:25:52 PM

Educate me, please.

Found out a few things myself about the subject from this:

A block chain can be useful for maintaining provenance, but there are issues.

I think this will be very helpful to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OopbFqcBFjY

Tim101

Activity: 84
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 06, 2021, 02:32:36 PM

I believe this was the first actual painting to be fractionalized in this manner:

https://blog.maecenas.co/andy-warhols-14-small-electric-chairs-to-be-sold-in-blockchain-art-auction/

An interesting aside, dadiani found a niche in HNW bitcoin OTC swaps after fractionalizing this work.
MrCryptHodl

Activity: 1078
Merit: 872

In Bitcoin We Trust

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2021, 10:22:50 PM

You are incorrect.
NFT does not prove ownership.
As proof, I uploaded this image to a digital art website and it now has an NFT token address.
By your statement, that proves I own this image. Do I?

No, an NFT on an ERC-721 token can prove ownership of a physical work depending on how it's done.

For example the physical cryptoarts that I am currently making are delivered with their NFT version which is mentioned on the certificate of authenticity.

and more simply as you see it here -> https://etherscan.io/token/0x91b16D509aa3377A526cD0794b8FF7DcFc84Fcdf
each Token has its unique ID and they are also displayed on the site as Rarible or OpenSea

rat03gopoh

Activity: 2086
Merit: 639

Your keys your responsibility

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2021, 05:44:25 AM

This does not apply to digital art.

Yes, you're right. All works of art displayed on the public web can be copied an unlimited number of times. NFT is just a digital license that has a stronger claim than digital licenses in general because it has been mass validated (blockchain). Regardless, NFTs only become valuable to anyone who likes originality.

▓██   ██▓ ▒█████   █    ██  ██▀███      ██ ▄█▀▓█████▓██   ██▓  ██████   
 ▒██  ██▒▒██▒  ██▒ ██  ▓██▒▓██ ▒ ██▒    ██▄█▒ ▓█   ▀ ▒██  ██▒▒██    ▒   
  ▒██ ██░▒██░  ██▒▓██  ▒██░▓██ ░▄█ ▒   ▓███▄░ ▒███    ▒██ ██░░ ▓██▄     
  ░ ▐██▓░▒██   ██░▓▓█  ░██░▒██▀▀█▄     ▓██ █▄ ▒▓█  ▄  ░ ▐██▓░  ▒   ██▒ 
  ░ ██▒▓░░ ████▓▒░▒▒█████▓ ░██▓ ▒██▒   ▒██▒ █▄░▒████▒ ░ ██▒▓░▒██████▒▒ 
   ██▒▒▒ ░ ▒░▒░▒░ ░▒▓▒ ▒ ▒ ░ ▒▓ ░▒▓░   ▒ ▒▒ ▓▒░░ ▒░ ░  ██▒▒▒ ▒ ▒▓▒ ▒ ░ 
 ▓██ ░▒░   ░ ▒ ▒░ ░░▒░ ░ ░   ░▒ ░ ▒░   ░ ░▒ ▒░ ░ ░  ░▓██ ░▒░ ░ ░▒  ░ ░ 
 ▒ ▒ ░░  ░ ░ ░ ▒   ░░░ ░ ░   ░░   ░    ░ ░░ ░    ░   ▒ ▒ ░░  ░  ░  ░   
 ░ ░         ░ ░     ░        ░        ░  ░      ░  ░░ ░           ░   
 ░ ░                                                 ░ ░                 
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄▄██▀▀⠀▄▄▄⠀⠀▀▀█▄▄▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄█▀▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀███⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▐▀█▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▐████████████⠀⠀█⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀▄▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀██████████████▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄⠀▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀██▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄▄▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀█████████████⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▐██████▄▄⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀▐⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀█▄██▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀███████████⠀▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀██⠀⠀⠀██▌⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄⠀⠀⠀⠀███▄▄▌⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀█▀⠀⠀█▌⠀⠀⠀⠀██▀▀██▀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀█▌⠀⠀⠀▐▀███▀▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀█▌⠀⠀⠀⠀▄██▌⠀⠀▄██⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀█▌⠀⠀⠀⠀███⠀⠀██▀██▀██▀██▀████▄⠀⠀██⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀█▀▀█▀▀▀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀▐██⠀⠀⠀⠀█▀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀⠀▀▀⠀▀▀⠀▀█⠀█▀█▀██⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀█▌⠀⠀⠀⠀`⠀⠀▄⠀▐██████▄▄⠀⠀▀▐▀██▀██⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄██▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀█⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀██⠀█⠀⠀▀██████▄▄⠀⠀█▀⠀▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀███▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀▄⠀⠀██⠀▄⠀⠀⠀`▀███⠀█⠀▀▀██████▄⠀⠀⠀██⠀⠀⠀▄███⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀█⠀⠀⠀▀⠀⠀▀▀▄▄⠀⠀▀████▀▄⠀▀██████▄▄▄█▄█████⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀▀▌⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀▌⠀⠀⠀▐███▄█⠀▄⠀▀▀█████████▀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀█⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀█⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀██████▄▀⠀⠀▀▀▀▀▀⠀⠀▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▌▀▀⠀⠀▄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀█⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▀▀███▀▀⠀⠀▐█⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
▓██   ██▓ ▒█████   █    ██  ██▀███      ██▀███  ▓█████   ██████  ██▓███   ▒█████   ███▄    █   ██████  ██▓ ▄▄▄▄    ██▓ ██▓     ██▓▄▄▄█████▓▓██   ██▓
 ▒██  ██▒▒██▒  ██▒ ██  ▓██▒▓██ ▒ ██▒   ▓██ ▒ ██▒▓█   ▀ ▒██    ▒ ▓██░  ██▒▒██▒  ██▒ ██ ▀█   █ ▒██    ▒ ▓██▒▓█████▄ ▓██▒▓██▒    ▓██▒▓  ██▒ ▓▒ ▒██  ██▒
  ▒██ ██░▒██░  ██▒▓██  ▒██░▓██ ░▄█ ▒   ▓██ ░▄█ ▒▒███   ░ ▓██▄   ▓██░ ██▓▒▒██░  ██▒▓██  ▀█ ██▒░ ▓██▄   ▒██▒▒██▒ ▄██▒██▒▒██░    ▒██▒▒ ▓██░ ▒░  ▒██ ██░
  ░ ▐██▓░▒██   ██░▓▓█  ░██░▒██▀▀█▄     ▒██▀▀█▄  ▒▓█  ▄   ▒   ██▒▒██▄█▓▒ ▒▒██   ██░▓██▒  ▐▌██▒  ▒   ██▒░██░▒██░█▀  ░██░▒██░    ░██░░ ▓██▓ ░   ░ ▐██▓░
  ░ ██▒▓░░ ████▓▒░▒▒█████▓ ░██▓ ▒██▒   ░██▓ ▒██▒░▒████▒▒██████▒▒▒██▒ ░  ░░ ████▓▒░▒██░   ▓██░▒██████▒▒░██░░▓█  ▀█▓░██░░██████▒░██░  ▒██▒ ░   ░ ██▒▓░
   ██▒▒▒ ░ ▒░▒░▒░ ░▒▓▒ ▒ ▒ ░ ▒▓ ░▒▓░   ░ ▒▓ ░▒▓░░░ ▒░ ░▒ ▒▓▒ ▒ ░▒▓▒░ ░  ░░ ▒░▒░▒░ ░ ▒░   ▒ ▒ ▒ ▒▓▒ ▒ ░░▓  ░▒▓███▀▒░▓  ░ ▒░▓  ░░▓    ▒ ░░      ██▒▒▒
 ▓██ ░▒░   ░ ▒ ▒░ ░░▒░ ░ ░   ░▒ ░ ▒░     ░▒ ░ ▒░ ░ ░  ░░ ░▒  ░ ░░▒ ░       ░ ▒ ▒░ ░ ░░   ░ ▒░░ ░▒  ░ ░ ▒ ░▒░▒   ░  ▒ ░░ ░ ▒  ░ ▒ ░    ░     ▓██ ░▒░
 ▒ ▒ ░░  ░ ░ ░ ▒   ░░░ ░ ░   ░░   ░      ░░   ░    ░   ░  ░  ░  ░░       ░ ░ ░ ▒     ░   ░ ░ ░  ░  ░   ▒ ░ ░    ░  ▒ ░  ░ ░    ▒ ░  ░       ▒ ▒ ░░
 ░ ░         ░ ░     ░        ░           ░        ░  ░      ░               ░ ░           ░       ░   ░   ░       ░      ░  ░ ░            ░ ░   
 ░ ░                                                                                                            ░                           ░ ░     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: