Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:11:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NVIDIA is cutting the 3060's Hash Rate in Half & NEW Mining specific GPU's  (Read 3583 times)
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 06:21:32 PM

that means about 370,000    3080.s.   were added in 7 weeks.  so 7.1 x that = 2.62 million gpus a year. Just for mining.

could that be correct?  

Due to the fact that every single computer-related community, even large sites like anandtech, tomshardware, etc. are talking about mining this means that every single 3xxx 68xx that is sold it is actually used for mining, let it be professional miners or gamers. Due to the hype and media cover, everybody knows about mining and everybody is mining. So yes, the vast majority of new hashrate is from 3xxx 68xx ... ASIC can't just come ouf of the blue ...
Nvidia are fully loaded already I guess that's why they have the gut to make such move, if no one is buying their gpu for any reasons and now they are selling big because of miners they won't be doing all this rubbish, even every hardcore gamers are now mining with their pc, I haven't play any pc game since mining becomes profitable, I don't blame them, let intel gpu become a thing maybe they will rethink again

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayDDee

Activity: 1382
Merit: 220

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 06:36:01 PM

Tom's is speculating some of the CMPs will use Turing. A rebranded 2080ti at half the
price might be worth it. But I may be deluding myself trying to find a positive angle.

shYter90

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 06:39:25 PM

How are they going to force miners to update to the newest driver? Without such mechanism, this isn't really a solution. Also, miners could just try to create their own drivers in the future. And the worst, if their algorithms would detect false-positives during gaming, it could create very annoying frame drops that would ruin the experience for people who just bought a top GPU for games.

IMO Nvidia should create ASICS based on their GPU technology that will far outperform their GPU in mining, to solve the problem once and for all. Releasing dedicated mining GPU is not enough, miners actually seek gaming GPUs because they have higher resale value once the bull run is over.

I dont follow what you are saying at all.

They are only limiting the 3060. Nvidia made the hardware and they alone make the drivers. The 3060 will not run on drivers currently available. So when Nvidia releases the 3060 drivers on launch, they will be modified to reduce hashrate.

There will be no way to "unlock" hashrate because the drivers are closed source. I imagine its going to be a little harder than unlocking unlimited NVENC sessions on geforce cards like I did for my 1650 Super in my Plex server.

Nvidia isnt stupid. Someone may figure out a driver hack but if they do, dont count on it being made public.

nvidia had already locked the hashrate. some enthusiast on youtube just tested zotac 3060 : eth hashrate was 45 mh/s and then after few seconds went down no 25 mh/s
scottsanderman12

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 06:41:09 PM

I got the news on time. Thank God not after the release
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 07:19:09 PM

There should be a way around this, years ago there are gurus online that build their own Nvidia and AMD drivers from scratch to get better performance out of a gpu and they work better than the official released drivers, I'm guessing this same thing will happen with this RTX3060

That ended with Maxwell cards, you'd be locked to 300 MHz now.

Also, its apparently enforced via VBIOS as well so seemingly one would need to mod VBIOS AND the driver, they've done a very good job making it essentially impossible to get around.

And if by chance some person or team was lucky enough to get around it, do you really think they'd share it publicly? No, it only make sense to keep it to yourself and build a 3060 farm.
Hackintoshihope

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 07:47:54 PM

What's their problem?  Angry What business does geforce and nvidia have with miners that makes them want to lower hashrate for RTX3060? People don't just buy costly gpu for gaming only, in fact everyone has the right to do what they like with their gpu since they paid for them, what's nvidia business in mining ? This is weird to be honest

The right procedure here is make their gpu miners better than gaming gpus, limiting gpus will only make it worse.

I think their goal is to dump all their low binned dies that they had no use for in these mining cards.

Sadly this isnt true they are running and it looks like it isnt a drive issue rather a vbios one... See here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MineEth/permalink/1128928574187552/?comment_id=1128993570847719&reply_comment_id=1129021457511597
btcshiner

Activity: 478
Merit: 125

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 08:03:18 PM

Well I guess we all know now how fast these will hash at. 

Dumb guy question.  Does this halving happen on both Windows and Linux?

If they do this on future releases it could make the 3070, 3080, 3090 and 3060 ti's hold there value longer. 
Balladtony77

Activity: 378
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 08:29:20 PM

It sounds as if someone pays nvidia to do all this s***, but honestly thanks to Miners NVIDIA cards are selling like hotcakes today isn't that a good thing? Very soon things will take an unexpected turns when nvidia and AMD have a new contestants like Intel for example

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
P00P135 (OP)

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 08:57:45 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2021, 09:31:18 PM by P00P135

Well I guess we all know now how fast these will hash at.  

Dumb guy question.  Does this halving happen on both Windows and Linux?

If they do this on future releases it could make the 3070, 3080, 3090 and 3060 ti's hold there value longer.  

Considering how easy it is to flash Nvidia BIOS in hive, it is going to be funny if someone can flash a 3060 ti bios on their plain 3060 and bypasses this issue altogether.  I'm still hoping its driver related and not BIOS as I think it would be much easier to fix.  One thing I saw was someone restarting their miner ever 50sec before the hashrate halves.
P00P135 (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:14:06 PM

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ethereum-mining-limiter-cannot-be-hacked/

Well I think Nvidia just fucked themselves by challenging everyone to hack the unhackable.

JayDDee

Activity: 1382
Merit: 220

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:22:43 PM

Well I think Nvidia just fucked themselves by challenging everyone to hack the unhackable.

If it only targets eth then eth could change their algo.

I's hard to say how much is bluster. Nvidia's claims seem exagerated to please gamers.
I'm sure hackers are already reverse engineering the limiter.

alucard20724

Activity: 703
Merit: 272

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:34:10 PM

I's hard to say how much is bluster. Nvidia's claims seem exagerated to please gamers.

I'm curious if they are just checking for eth and not other algos too.   Huh Huh

and nothing is unhackable... it just hasn't been hacked yet.  Grin Grin
vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2021, 09:48:11 PM

I heard, the limit must be set in bios not in the drivers.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
Toughit

Merit: 197

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 10:21:33 PM

I managed to get one on Amazon, waiting for ship date. 

Their dedicated miner hashrate does not look very good, depending on the MSRP.

If the 3060 mines at 24, given what I'm getting on an RX 470 today, that still means the 3060 will make $3.12, thats 130 days ROI before electricity costs.

Two months ago I was mining the 470 at about $1.20 a day and as long as I broke even on electricty, I was OK.

So, nice try Nvidia!

shYter90

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 10:22:35 PM

I'm curious if they are just checking for eth and not other algos too.   Huh Huh

and nothing is unhackable... it just hasn't been hacked yet.  Grin Grin

only eth
Juggar

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 10:30:53 PM

I managed to get one on Amazon, waiting for ship date.  

Their dedicated miner hashrate does not look very good, depending on the MSRP.

If the 3060 mines at 24, given what I'm getting on an RX 470 today, that still means the 3060 will make $3.12, thats 130 days ROI before electricity costs.

Two months ago I was mining the 470 at about $1.20 a day and as long as I broke even on electricty, I was OK.

So, nice try Nvidia!

You're not taking into considering the difficulty going up and electric of course. No one is going to be paying $329 for these, more like $400 if you include taxes.

This is not a desirable mining card at all. GTX 1060 6GB can be had for cheaper and do the same.
Toughit

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 10:53:23 PM

I’m also not taking into account ETH and BTC doubling in 3 months!

Where can I find 1060’s, oh, the last 1060 on eBay sold for 398 today.

In other words, I will buy most cards that seem reasonable and have a responsible ROI horizon, while counting on the wizards on this forum to develop and publish a workable bios.
Juggar

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 11:11:11 PM

In other words, I will buy most cards that seem reasonable and have a responsible ROI horizon, while counting on the wizards on this forum to develop and publish a workable bios.

Nvidia came out and said its "un hackable". I would not bet on these suddenly getting unlocked.

Yes, you can flash firmware but no one has been able to edit firmware due to it being encrypted.
P00P135 (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 12:22:37 AM

Nvidia came out and said its "un hackable". I would not bet on these suddenly getting unlocked.

Yes, you can flash firmware but no one has been able to edit firmware due to it being encrypted.

I think a quick fix would be a miner that can find a way to not trigger the built in hash rate drop which happens around 55sec of mining.
Toughit

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 12:45:16 AM

I'm missing something else.  

If Nvidia is maxed out on production of existing cards, how are they finding the capacity to tool up four brand new designs, why would they not use that capacity to just build more of the existing design.

Unless its a components problem and the new mining cards will not use the same parts?

Which would imply they have production capacity sitting idle right now?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: