Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:16:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New 10 KW Solar Mining Project  (Read 427 times)
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 01:55:46 AM

I am curious to know how much solar panels do we need to get 10kwh ?
Give me this results and let me see if I can give you better answers

1. What is the exact amount of watts you need for the rigs?
2. How many hours per day you always have sun in your area?
3. Are you planning on getting backup batteries?

For example I'm using 1600 watts solar panels and 4x tubular batteries connected in 24v 440ah, my rigs takes 300 watts per hour so I have enough juice to charge up my battery bank and still keep mining

My current setup uses around 4000 watts. I am curious to know how expensive is to setup solar panels that could provide 24h running rigs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 02:04:09 AM

Hi crazydane! am I seeing this right, are you selling your power back to the grid @ $.12 KWh?

Yep.  With a net metering agreement, I pull from the grid @$.12 and if I produce more than I consume, I push the excess back into the grid at the same rate.
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 06:38:12 AM

I am curious to know how much solar panels do we need to get 10kwh ?
Give me this results and let me see if I can give you better answers

1. What is the exact amount of watts you need for the rigs?
2. How many hours per day you always have sun in your area?
3. Are you planning on getting backup batteries?

For example I'm using 1600 watts solar panels and 4x tubular batteries connected in 24v 440ah, my rigs takes 300 watts per hour so I have enough juice to charge up my battery bank and still keep mining

My current setup uses around 4000 watts. I am curious to know how expensive is to setup solar panels that could provide 24h running rigs.
Without grid power? That's going to cost a lot mate, 4000watts every hour for 24 hrs is 96,000watts, we are talking about 98x 360watts panel here which I'm sure will need battery bank of 15x 200ah batteries connected in 24v, I don't know how much these costs in dollars as I'm not from dollar spending country so do the math yourself, oh and you will need 7200 to 10,000 KVA inverter

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 07:08:23 AM

Without grid power? That's going to cost a lot mate, 4000watts every hour for 24 hrs is 96,000watts, we are talking about 98x 360watts panel here which I'm sure will need battery bank of 15x 200ah batteries connected in 24v, I don't know how much these costs in dollars as I'm not from dollar spending country so do the math yourself, oh and you will need 7200 to 10,000 KVA inverter

Man, Your math is lost in time...   Shocked

fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 09:21:12 AM

Time for a new Solar Mining Project!
I have 10 KW worth of solar panels on the way.
For this one I think the direction I want to go is with one of the grid backup Inverters, not grid tied, only grid backup.
It will be like a UPS only using the grid as the battery.
There will be a small battery bank just to make things smother during switch overs.

For the most part this system will only mine during the day but will have the option to mine on grid power if there is a reason to, like ETH now...

The way it looks the profit will be higher only mining 6 - 8 hrs on solar vs 24/7 on grid power at my $.10/KWh but obviously less coins.

What do you guys think?
Will it be viable in the long run?
solar mining mostly benefit when bear/winter hit crypto mining and ups as backup when shadow from the cloud hit solar which is you need big battery, dont expect to much for earning full power solar 5-6hrs/day, and you need the most efficient rig on the current hardware, from solar to inverter to psu you loss 15-20% of power,

we're on bullrun for next 1 year, and 0.1kwh still doable until 2year forward and most likely we wont see big dip like 2019 again, i'm mining at 0.11kwh,  only 1 year turn off at some middle 2019 and 2020

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
FireBallex

Activity: 462
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 11:04:09 AM

For this one I think the direction I want to go is with one of the grid backup Inverters, not grid tied, only grid backup.
There will be a small battery bank just to make things smother during switch overs.

For the most part this system will only mine during the day but will have the option to mine on grid power if there is a reason to, like ETH now...

The way it looks the profit will be higher only mining 6 - 8 hrs on solar vs 24/7 on grid power at my $.10/KWh but obviously less coins.

What do you guys think?
solar mining mostly benefit when bear/winter hit crypto mining and ups as backup when shadow from the cloud hit solar which is you need big battery, dont expect to much for earning full power solar 5-6hrs/day, and you need the most efficient rig on the current hardware, from solar to inverter to psu you loss 15-20% of power,

we're on bullrun for next 1 year, and 0.1kwh still doable until 2year forward and most likely we wont see big dip like 2019 again, i'm mining at 0.11kwh,  only 1 year turn off at some middle 2019 and 2020
Hmm you are the only person that thinks about long term mining on here, others believe the bullrun is already over and you are saying for the next 1year? How sure are you that we won't go deep like in 2019 again? For the past two days now my gtx1660 super are now earning 2.3$ per gpu when it was 3.5$ to 4$ per gpu

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 02:47:41 PM

What do you guys think?

Hmm you are the only person that thinks about long term mining on here, others believe the bullrun is already over and you are saying for the next 1year? How sure are you that we won't go deep like in 2019 again? For the past two days now my gtx1660 super are now earning 2.3$ per gpu when it was 3.5$ to 4$ per gpu
Imagine not paying a penny for electricity and just mining with green energy non stop, this makes more perfect sense even when there is no more bull season, what makes bear season a bad experience for miners is the cost of electricity bill but with solar every penny counts

Longhorn901 (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 01, 2021, 02:30:13 PM

Why do you say efficient mining requires 24/7 power? If you are only trying to maximize coin output then I agree.
However you also need cheap power to make that work, I don't have cheep power available here so that strategy doesn't work for me.
I might be wrong in the way I look at this but I think efficient mining equals generating coins at the lowest possible energy usage.

If you are only concerned in lowering your electric cost from the power company then the way to go would be a properly sized grid tie system.
You will have 24/7 power available and when you have sun most of the power will be supplied by solar.
That is the lowest cost system if you want to run 24/7.

Have you ever heard the expression "If the wheels ain't turnin the truck ain't earnin"?

It's a matter of perspective. Unless you can balance power production with consumption you're
losing efficiency. It's impossible to do with solar and mining alone. Mining needs reliable power
to be efficient, solar can't provide that.

The case for solar should be based on consumers that can use all the solar power when it's available and
not suffer when it's not. Air conditioning is the best one I can think of. You have the most power on the hottest,
sunniest days, a win-win.

Again my point is solar power and mining don't mix. You need other forms of production, consumption or storage
to make it work.

I guess we have a different outlook on this, I'm looking long range.
With everything going on in the world power prices are set to skyrocket, when your diesel prices are eating up all your profit your wheels ain't gonna be turnin.

The only thing I need to ROI will be the solar, my miners have been paid a long time ago. I'm looking at 15 months to pay the solar off running 10 tuned L3's.
After that for 6 - 8 hrs a day my power is free if nothing breaks.
The choice is yours, if 6 hrs mining is perfect enough for you then going solar panel is the best choice for you, it will definitely work but running 10 L3 ASIC miners will requires double panel set because one have to consider is the sun isn't really that shiny or when there is part cloudy, if 10,000 watts is what you need per hour for 6 hrs it's wise to double the panels, go for 20,000 watts solar so you have enough buffer if the sun isn't that shining
Your spot on with your figures, I have my L3++ antminers tuned to 488watts for 392MH/s for a total of 4880 watts. So should be good with 10KW

Visit Tribe Crypto on Discord! https://discord.gg/BzSeuGs/
User_86

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2021, 05:30:00 PM

As an engineer I used to design back up power solutions that ensured 100% uptime for my offices and remote locations. 100% solar/off grid with 24x7x365 reliability is entirely within reason with proper design & operational controls.
CashbackLover

Activity: 196
Merit: 15

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 09:57:49 AM

I don't understand the obsession with mining using solar power. To me it's the worst
combination because efficient mining requires reliable power 24/7.

I would look at it from a different point of view. How can I best use the solar power in real time?
Can I use it all in real time? How can I schedule my power use to maximize the use of solar and minimize
the use of grid?

Everything you offload from the grid reduces your mining costs.

You are the one that's not getting it, solar is efficiency enough just like grid power depending on how you build them, mining with solar panel is generating money from the sun, there is nothing better than this, reason why many stay away is the cost of setting it up

Longhorn901 (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 03:41:45 PM

Hi crazydane! am I seeing this right, are you selling your power back to the grid @ $.12 KWh?

Yep.  With a net metering agreement, I pull from the grid @$.12 and if I produce more than I consume, I push the excess back into the grid at the same rate.
That's a crazy good deal! I hope you have a long term contract because I see rate hikes in the near future, especially here in TX. My supplier only pays wholesale, not worth the trouble to go through the interconnect hoops.

How has your solar barn worked out for you? I like that idea and thinking of doing something like that. Would you do it again if you had to do it over?

JayDDee

Activity: 1383
Merit: 220

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 05:20:51 PM

Everything you offload from the grid reduces your mining costs.
You are the one that's not getting it, solar is efficiency enough just like grid power depending on how you build them, mining with solar panel is generating money from the sun, there is nothing better than this, reason why many stay away is the cost of setting it up

Anything looks good if you ignore cost.

Williamm07

Activity: 181
Merit: 14

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 06:38:33 PM

The cost of setting up solar mining is way too high for someone who isn't in for long term mining business, I have a old man in my country that lives out of mining farm, he has the money to build huge solar setup and till date he is still mining, he is an inspiration to me, looking forward to build mine

Temido2222

Activity: 68
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 08:48:53 PM

Solar mining only really works if you have the solar work during the day and use grid power at night or use net metering. Lithium ion batteries are expensive, inverters are expensive, lead acid batteries are expensive. The easiest all in one solution would probably be a Tesla Powerwall and getting enough of those to keep a farm online at night would be pretty expensive
Longhorn901 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 02:16:32 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2021, 02:43:20 AM by Longhorn901

Phase one complete, 10kw of solar panels arrived today.
Now the fun starts, mounting these things...
What's a good low cost DIY ground mount?

https://imgur.com/a/6iyz3N7

HardCore12V

Activity: 223
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 07:08:46 AM

You don't have a roof? Solar panels are more effective on the roof top than mount grounds I believe, anyways you can build them yourself with woods and nails, if you aren't that good then hire a qualified person and explain what you plan to do, it's easy when you get a professional by yourside

miner29

Activity: 1261
Merit: 138

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 02:15:10 PM

You don't have a roof? Solar panels are more effective on the roof top than mount grounds I believe, anyways you can build them yourself with woods and nails, if you aren't that good then hire a qualified person and explain what you plan to do, it's easy when you get a professional by yourside

As long as the panel is not obstructed by anything ground mounting just as effective.  The 20ft difference in height doesnt matter to the panel as long as eithe ris unobstructed. 

See large solar farms where all panels are ground mounted.

People in densly populated areas have to roof mount because of the obstruction of the next dwelling.  But here i believe our user has plenty of room. 

The problems from roof mounting are additional weight on roof.  Most roofs in the USA are going to be asphalt shingles which means anything mounting to them diminishes the shingles life expectency.  Plus you have to make sure the homes structure can handle the weight and windload.  Ground mounting is much easier if you have the space.  It also makes cleaning and any maintenance much easier and safer...especially if roof pitch is steep and/or two story home. 

Now they are not generating much right now in the garage...terrible mounting location op....🤣🤣🤣
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 12:33:12 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2021, 01:03:17 PM by crazydane

I too much prefer ground mounted arrays and it makes it a lot easier to maintain (snow removal, washing, replacing micro inverters if you have those).

A buddy of mine stopped by the other day with his drone toy, so I had him take an areal picture of my arrays:

So the 1st array is mounted on top of my shop building because it was there already and doesn't have to steep of a pitch, and is metal.  It is not exactly South, but pretty close.  All the ground mounted arrays are pointed due south.  The array in front doubles as an equipment storage shed.

Here's a chart of my solar production so far this month relative to the power consumed by my rigs and the rest of the household:

The power company sends me a report each Monday showing the daily kWh was delivered from the Grid, what I returned to the Grid, and what the net of that was.

Per the table above, my net through the 12th of this month, was that I produced 922 kWh of excess solar energy that was returned to the grid that will show up on my account as a bank of kWh.

The rest of my household currently consume about the same amount of power as my miners.  Come summer when the A/C will be running constantly, household consumption will go up, but so will solar production since the days are longer and the sun is higher in the sky.  So it evens out.

My mining rigs only consume about 86 kWh daily on average.  These guys:

My plan is to keep snagging up RTX 3000 series GPUs until my total household consumption matches what I produce from my solar arrays.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: