Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:02:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how many GPUs will this board support for mining ?  (Read 244 times)
aliitp2 (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 46

View Profile
February 12, 2021, 08:54:22 PM

Hi guys,

i found out my X99 Deluxe actually has 5x PCI full size Slots and one Small PCI-E Slot,

https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/products/WodJPah7ECKFSsxv/img/hp/overview/overview-full.png

my question here will this board support 6x GPUs for mining or just 5x ?...

can a gpu be hooked up through a riser to the Small PCI-E Slot or not ??...

thanks,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twan69666

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 01:38:54 AM

You're going to need risers, but if you had 6 risers, I see no reason it wouldn't support 6 gpus? However, without risers, the gpus will take up multiple slots, so you'll likely only get 2-3 cards depending on which cards you try to use
mak013

Activity: 2366
Merit: 753

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 04:39:07 AM

Every PCI-E slot can be used. + you can use m2 slots. If you want to mine inserting GPUs in mb - you will get problems with cooling. And in this way you can use only 5 GPUs. It will be easy to buy risers, cheap mb and to construct a rig.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2021, 06:03:26 AM

untill you are run out of pci-e lanes, but with x1 risers I guess all.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 11:19:22 AM

i have little brother of that msi x79 with 3930k, im not able test 5 or 6 gpus because i dont have any space left on my desk. this is my working pc. 4 gpus are working fine so far. Main gpu on 1st 16x slot i need it because these guys dont have onboard vga. rest 3 gpus connected via risers. works no issue.
joseyphil82

Activity: 742
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 11:35:04 AM

Hi guys,

i found out my X99 Deluxe actually has 5x PCI full size Slots and one Small PCI-E Slot,

https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/products/WodJPah7ECKFSsxv/img/hp/overview/overview-full.png

my question here will this board support 6x GPUs for mining or just 5x ?...

can a gpu be hooked up through a riser to the Small PCI-E Slot or not ??...

thanks,
Six slots are available on the motherboard so why asking how many gpus it will support? The PCIe slots are very close to each other though and I think that's a bad idea for mining, you will need to get risers to mine safely on that motherboard

Festac

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 11:45:36 AM

It has six gpu slots but you can't really tell until you insert 6x GPUs in the motherboard, some MOBO will have 6x space for gpu and the MOBO will fail to recognize all the graphic cards, if that happens well you can change gen mode in bios and try risers but if none of that works you will have to accept whatever the MOBO allows on board

miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 01:41:10 PM

You can also try 1-4 plex adapter that goes in a slot and provides connection to 4 risers.  Again limited by chipset and pcie lanes but they work i have several different models in use..Cheapest easiet to try

https://www.amazon.com/YIYIYI-Expansion-Converter-Adatper-Bitcoin/dp/B08TWBDNPP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QKC3S6X4DAOH&dchild=1&keywords=1+to+4+pcie+riser&qid=1613223604&sprefix=1-4+pcie%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-2
Ceyflix-Rez

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 02:08:15 PM

You can also try 1-4 plex adapter that goes in a slot and provides connection to 4 risers.  Again limited by chipset and pcie lanes but they work i have several different models in use..Cheapest easiet to try

https://www.amazon.com/YIYIYI-Expansion-Converter-Adatper-Bitcoin/dp/B08TWBDNPP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QKC3S6X4DAOH&dchild=1&keywords=1+to+4+pcie+riser&qid=1613223604&sprefix=1-4+pcie%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-2
I don't know how they build this thing but are you sure using it in one PCIe slot won't do any damage? Drawing watts across over two GPUs in a single pcie slot don't sound safe to me

Ken_terrance

Activity: 574
Merit: 18

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 02:24:34 PM

Never used the mobo before, you gotta try it out yourself to see how many card the mobo can detect, you can use riser to get better cooling too, I have a gigabyte mobo here that's only detecting 4 graphic cards and the mobo has 6 gpu slots, I've tried all I could but no luck so far

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬   Prasaga   │   Making Smart Money Work   ▬  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tech WP  /  Commercial WP  //  Twitter  /  Facebook  /  Discord  /  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
miner29

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 04:53:18 PM

I don't know how they build this thing but are you sure using it in one PCIe slot won't do any damage? Drawing watts across over two GPUs in a single pcie slot don't sound safe to me

This uses riser....risers do not pass power through the usb cable...thats why risers are so good for mining...they remove the power strain through the bus (slots). 
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 04:03:28 AM

It has six gpu slots but you can't really tell until you insert 6x GPUs in the motherboard, some MOBO will have 6x space for gpu and the MOBO will fail to recognize all the graphic cards, if that happens well you can change gen mode in bios and try risers but if none of that works you will have to accept whatever the MOBO allows on board

i know i will use risers as i said in my initial post, but is there a chance such a high end MOBO will fail to detect at least 5 GPUs ?! change the Gen for what exactly ?...

thanks,
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 04:42:25 AM

i know i will use risers as i said in my initial post, but is there a chance such a high end MOBO will fail to detect at least 5 GPUs ?! change the Gen for what exactly ?...

thanks,
There is a setting in bios that has gen 1 and gen 2, switching can help to detect all six graphics card on a single motherboard, test the cards first and find a way to enter your bios settings, who know it's might actually helps
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 06:26:44 AM

You should be able to use up to 6 GPUs however its not guaranteed. The way some motherboards are designed is they know that most likely NOT every slot will be used at once, basically when they designed some motherboards they weren't designed for mining. So its possible that some motherboards have PCIe which share lanes. So if you plug something into 1 lane, it might disable another lane. Only way to confirm this is to plug all 6 in and see if they all get detected in Windows. Or you can try reading the manual, however its not always written in the manual.

The lanes which are shares are usually the ones which are right under the main x16 pci 3.0 slot, because they assume that since most GPUs occupy 2 slots, that most likely the 2nd slot from the top won't be another GPU. However this is not always the case. If its a gaming motherboard then chances are that all lanes will work. If you are getting issues with sharing lanes, try to force the GPUs to run at x1 and see if you can get it to start. If that fails then disable some peripherals like LAN, USB3.0, Audio which might also share certain PCIe lanes.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JayDDee

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 07:03:38 AM

You should be able to use up to 6 GPUs however its not guaranteed. The way some motherboards are designed is they know that most likely NOT every slot will be used at once, basically when they designed some motherboards they weren't designed for mining. So its possible that some motherboards have PCIe which share lanes. So if you plug something into 1 lane, it might disable another lane. Only way to confirm this is to plug all 6 in and see if they all get detected in Windows. Or you can try reading the manual, however its not always written in the manual.

The lanes which are shares are usually the ones which are right under the main x16 pci 3.0 slot, because they assume that since most GPUs occupy 2 slots, that most likely the 2nd slot from the top won't be another GPU. However this is not always the case. If its a gaming motherboard then chances are that all lanes will work. If you are getting issues with sharing lanes, try to force the GPUs to run at x1 and see if you can get it to start. If that fails then disable some peripherals like LAN, USB3.0, Audio which might also share certain PCIe lanes.

There is often a BIOS configuration option if PCIe slots are shared with other devices. Sometimes it also depends
on which CPU is installed. The manual should explain it all.

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 07:24:51 AM

it is totally safe it doesnt power draw from it thats why risers has 6pin(molex,sata) power in, im using one of these on gigabyte h110-d3a working fine 8gpus
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2021, 10:17:08 PM

sadly i had to come back to this thread after spending 2+ my efforts failed,

this motherboard got a small switch on it to choose between 2x and 3x graphics cards,

i tried all three !

i was lucky to get one card to work, but tried to insert the second card to the last PCI-E Slot and there will be no signal on the monitor

this motherboard doesnt seem to like a lot of GPUs...

Guys any help please ? i might end up mining on a X9drF Servers motherboards will plugging in all GPUs be sipported by all PCI-E Slots or not ??...

plz advise...

thanks,
miner29

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 02:39:41 AM

Dont plug the gpus into the slots...use risers....putting several cards on the mobo directly easily exceeds its power capability.  Each card can draw 75w each on the slot. 

The manual references 40 lane cpu and 28 lane cpu...but either should provide more than enough lanes for 6 cards on risers.  What i dont see is above 4g decoding in the bios.  That should limit you to 4gpu...but you should easily get 4 running on risers and turn off everything you dont need...audio/m.2 ports / sata (if using thumbdrive and moning os)....VTD off .... pretty much anything not needed...so sleep mode on proc or energy saving. 

Ive used the 1-4 pcie multiplexer with risers to add 6 gpus to a board with a single x16 slot and 2 x1 slots.  So they work.  Ive got much more expensive ones that you can actually cascade..1-4 to 3 gpus and another 1-4.... but pcie lanes and bios/chipsets will eventually limit you.
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 08:40:25 PM

Dont plug the gpus into the slots...use risers....putting several cards on the mobo directly easily exceeds its power capability.  Each card can draw 75w each on the slot. 

The manual references 40 lane cpu and 28 lane cpu...but either should provide more than enough lanes for 6 cards on risers.  What i dont see is above 4g decoding in the bios.  That should limit you to 4gpu...but you should easily get 4 running on risers and turn off everything you dont need...audio/m.2 ports / sata (if using thumbdrive and moning os)....VTD off .... pretty much anything not needed...so sleep mode on proc or energy saving. 

Ive used the 1-4 pcie multiplexer with risers to add 6 gpus to a board with a single x16 slot and 2 x1 slots.  So they work.  Ive got much more expensive ones that you can actually cascade..1-4 to 3 gpus and another 1-4.... but pcie lanes and bios/chipsets will eventually limit you.

ok i see, i had 3x GPUs running on this board years ago and it work fine and fully supported, the only bad thing is that u need to insert the GPUs in Certain PCI-E Slots, if u try insert them in ANOTHER PCI-E Slots they wont work !

i have enabled 4g decoding for this board, ill try plugging through riser, but as i said this board supported 3x GPUs before but now when i insert the third GPU in another PCI-E Not recommended the board will simply NOT see it !...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: