Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:29:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ways to make card last longer  (Read 326 times)
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 02:49:04 PM

After 4 years of mining on many video cards, fans have broken.
This is what most of my graphics cards look like now.
Some have 2 or 3 external 70-90mm fans

A video card with a Palit Dual cooling system had an anti-record, the fans worked for 18 months
I have these type of msi brand GPUs I would like to know what fan speed you've been running them for those years before the stop working, I'm presently running mine at 72% and I think that's safe

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 04:10:43 PM

If you are going to replace a fan with a case fan then you should remove the dead fans out of the way first. Best is if you remove the entire shroud actually. However depending where the screws are you might void warranty that way. However a cheap case fan usually even 1 can do a better cooling job than the regular fans.

Only issue with this is that you will need to spread your GPUs out more because they will be fatter. And your usb riser cables might not reach the motherboard this way. You can buy a longer cable however if the cable is too long they will usually cause stability issues.

fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 12:06:00 PM

Hi, I'm new to mining and I started mining just yesterday with my single 3070 founders edition in HiveOS. I wanted to know a few things but before that have a look at my settings:

Now what I want is to my card last me forever (long enough for it to lose its value and become obsolete) and for it to last that long I heard keeping it cool and making fan not running at 100% is the key because I don't want to lose my fan either. I don't really mind if its not running the maximum hashrate it can get. I'm not a professional miner, I'm just doing this as a hobby and that's the reason I want my card to be safe. Could you guys please look at the charts and tell me what needs to be changed? What is the best core temperature and best memory temperature for the card for keeping it safe? what's the best autofan settings to keep my fan safe?. Any additional tips and tricks are always welcome. Sorry if some of the question seems stupid, this is my first time mining and I learned what I could from youtube but it doesn't explain everything. Thank you very much.

for nvidia gpu no mod on memory applied only oc-ed the memory clock so its that safe for long term and dont mind for the fans, you can replace it for cheap

dont forget change thermal paste each year and cleaning the gpus twice a year

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1052

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 12:41:01 PM

A video card with a Palit Dual cooling system had an anti-record, the fans worked for 18 months
I have these type of msi brand GPUs I would like to know what fan speed you've been running them for those years before the stop working, I'm presently running mine at 72% and I think that's safe
It depends on the quality of the fans. In winter, my fans mine at 60-70%, in summer it can be 80-100%.
I'm not even going to repair the cooling system when I sell graphics cards. The disadvantage I compensate the buyer with a lower price.
Major fan problems begin after three years

If you are going to replace a fan with a case fan then you should remove the dead fans out of the way first. Best is if you remove the entire shroud actually. However depending where the screws are you might void warranty that way. However a cheap case fan usually even 1 can do a better cooling job than the regular fans.
Look at the photo. The distance between video cards is 12-15 centimeters.
This does not greatly affect the cooling result.
It is enough to buy a fan with the maximum amperage 250 mA (  0.25*12= 3W)

U253

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 03:29:45 PM

Rule of thumb, I have been mining for almost 4 years with 120 plus cards. Lot`s of expensive lessons learnt!

1. Power supply, never push your power supply to it`s limit. Sweet spot is around 60% utilization.
2. Dust is a card killer, make sure you maintain dust as well as you can
3. Temperatures, place your rigs in a well ventilated room. Try remove the heat generated by the cards (Extractor fan).
4. Don`t be an IDIOT and OC your cards to the max. Loads of people are chasing hashrate instead of finding a sweet spot.. pushing a card to just under the point where it crashes is really idiotic. Your card might cope for a couple of months but it will die on you after a while.

Cheers

Totally agree and don't push the card too hard. A little loss in performance is fine and running 7x24 trouble-free could be more important.

Played with ~10 1080Ti in past years, either founder's edition or Auros. It's a surprise that founder's edition seemed more stable in a mild OC with limited TDP/fan-speed, but + 10 degrees hotter (still under 80C).
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 04:48:57 PM

Look at the photo. The distance between video cards is 12-15 centimeters.

Yes because you only got 2 GPUs. However try and do this on a rig with 5 or 6 GPUs. The width of the fan will be a problem because they will need to be seperated more and more and your issue will be that you won't have enough slack in the USB cable.

I had this issue and basically built a multiple level rig where one GPU was higher than the other and I got away with keeping them close by to not overheat. The easiest solution was to buy a longer USB cable HOWEVER for some reason the longer cables didn't work. They sometimes worked but eventually got hardware errors OR they would randomly crash. I think the longer the cable the more issues you will get.

MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2021, 04:50:34 PM

Undervolt the cards and don't run them above 70c for long durations.

also it looks like you've got some sort of MSI or other terribly heat piped card..

Make sure you have airflow over those cards... Them heatsinks are dinky af for mining with. :/

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 06:13:01 PM

Order some extra fans for them it is not expensive anymore. Also would recommend cpu fans with 4pins that way card can adjust rpm and cooling very good. i spend alot time ago when 1 fan was 20-40$ back then. i replaced with cpu fans.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: