Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:17:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux FTW!  (Read 1414 times)
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:02:15 PM

Today I feel like I have conquered.

I have for the first time convinced a family of four who's computer usage is of the usual web browsing, printing, yahoo mail, hot-mail, etc etc and of course some played games such as Left 4 dead 2 and Dead Island 2.

I've been over their house many times fixing their computer with the same exact problem.

First problem was their Kodak ESP C310 printer(WiFi only) would not work with their windows 7 computer any time they would turn off the printer or the computer, or both. By not working I mean windows asks you to install a printer.

2nd problem was that they kept getting viruses even with paid yearly subscription to McAfee with every feature activated and update to date. Most times I'll run Spybot S & D and they will pick up what Mcafee doesn't and it usually works but this time it was different this virus was bad. it was one of those viruses where they close all applications your running and tell you that everything you open up is in fact a virus, and then it shows an obviously fake scanning window saying you have 1000's of viruses. It was one of those.

Long story short, they were scared that they would lose their data, or it would be difficult learn an new system entirely I re assured them I could easily back up their data and continued to tell them that Linux is so safe that their aren't even anti-viruses made for it since theres no market... of course they then gave me the response I half expected which was "Is it just not popular enough yet?".

My response was searching up it up on Google for the estimated Linux users and it was around 25 million people use Linux(of course these are estimates but even a 50% error rate is still high)

Anyways I installed unbuntu linux, and it took me 15 minutes to show them how it works, I made cute little icons so they could just click facebook and bam theres face book.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 12:47:41 AM

Nice. I've installed Ubuntu on the machines for many in my family, but Linux is not something you can just install for a newbie and walk away from. You have to be willing to be their personal maintainer, if only once a month or so.

I was surprised to hear that my girlfriend hated Unity, so I gave it an honest month's trial, and yeah, it's slow, buggy, and frustrating. Believe it or not, she's now wildly happy using Xmonad. I won't install Unity or Gnome 3 on anyone's machine next year. And I'm boycotting Ubuntu for their arrogance.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 02:36:16 AM

yeah i happen to install one or more pc's from scratch every month, to ubuntu of course, and my friends love it.
I use teamviewer for remote assistance too and my life got better lately  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 02:47:15 AM

Ubuntu is a pox on the Linux community as a whole, and all of Shuttleworth's decisions are atrocious.

The Linux Mint project makes Ubuntu bearable, but the lack of decent stability over distributions like Debian with either the stable or testing repositories (Ubuntu builds many packages from unstable, and others by themselves, and suck at it) and lack of proper unix organization push me away from it every time I try to use it

yeah i happen to install one or more pc's from scratch every month, to ubuntu of course, and my friends love it.
I use teamviewer for remote assistance too and my life got better lately  Cheesy

Use SSH, scrub
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 03:16:17 AM

My respect for Shuttleworth took a 180 this year.

I think the unstable packages were necessary for a 'modern' desktop experience three years ago, but today I'm much happier with my LTS machine than 11.10 -- in fact, I'm considering Mint 12 or perhaps an entirely different distro. I prefer apt, so Debian maybe what I seek. If we're supporting other people's computers, shouldn't we use stable for our own sanity.

Anyone using Arch?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 04:02:15 AM

My respect for Shuttleworth took a 180 this year.

I think the unstable packages were necessary for a 'modern' desktop experience three years ago, but today I'm much happier with my LTS machine than 11.10 -- in fact, I'm considering Mint 12 or perhaps an entirely different distro. I prefer apt, so Debian maybe what I seek. If we're supporting other people's computers, shouldn't we use stable for our own sanity.

Anyone using Arch?

I used to, but they've done some fairly dumb things too, like making python 3.0 the default python over 2.x, which broke a bunch of stuff, dunno if it is still the default; also they just recently got package signing.

I've also have Arch Linux installs break in fantastic and new ways just from using the Arch User Repository, which is supposed to be the "big" positives of using Arch.

I'm still a debian guy, either using stable or testing (or something stable with only a few packages pulled from testing as needed), but I am a pretty big fan of Linux Mint for desktop PCs I don't feel like configuring.
Mint's Ubuntu version includes a lot of bugfixes for Ubuntu, plus it includes MATE/Gnome2, and their Debian version is a rolling-release of Debian Unstable with some Linux Mint add-ons and apt-pinning to prevent packages from "unstable" that are truly not stable from being upgraded.

If you want a near bleeding-edge that isn't as much of a sloppy mess as Arch Linux, go with Debian Testing or Unstable. They have many more maintained packages in their official repositories anyways.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: