Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:25:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sapphire RX580 new memory chip soldering question  (Read 408 times)
erikson_82 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 05:54:35 PM

Hello internet ppl,

Let m tell you a interesting story, maybe you could help me somehow:

I did an experiment, replace the memory chips from an rx580 (K4G41325FE-HC25 - 4 GB) with some new one K4G80325FB-HC22 ( 8 GB) aiming to increase the physical memory of my card from 4 to 8 GB. The soldering part was made professionally.

After this procedure, windows is seeing my card however i receive a code 43 error (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43))

I thought that this is something normal, since the GPU has now different memory chips.

I tried all the bios found on techpowerup, change the timings, research on the internet, call some friends, but i was unable to receive a valid opinion of a possible solution for this issue.

Below are some print screen from meminfo, gpuz and current bios that is on the GPU.

If anybody did this type of experiment and manage to figure it out how to resuscitate the GPU after the intervention or have any other idea on what should i do, please leave a comment.

cheers!

https://i.ibb.co/zNFmVj8/bios.png

https://i.ibb.co/8zLSS2G/gpuz.png

https://i.ibb.co/f8d9qJm/meminfo.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hagbase

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 06:08:07 PM

Did you try https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
Was using this after modding VBios and getting Code43.
erikson_82 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 06:09:04 PM

Did you try https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
Was using this after modding VBios and getting Code43.

Hi hagbase,

done that, no change Sad
Synerggy

Activity: 248
Merit: 13

Futiracoin.com

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 06:16:27 PM

Moving 8gb memory chip to 4gb gpu board of rx580 might not be the only thing to change for the 8gb to start working, gpu manufacturers are not stupid, there might be some limits on the 4gb gpu board, like empty capacitor fields or even resistors

●          ◯        Futira Coin        ◯          ●
████ ███ ██ █        First Crypto-Enabled Telecommunication Network       █ ██ ███ ████
Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     LinkedIn     |     Github     |     Discord
7deadlyBTCIN

Activity: 120
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 06:19:07 PM

Could be more than changing the memory chip only mate, why engage in such way if you have no idea about it in the first place? It's why I don't listen to people who gave me such idea to buy 8gb memory and insta on 4gb rx570 of mine, the memory are costly and the chances of making it work is very slim
erikson_82 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 06:34:39 PM
Merited by Toughit (1)

Could be more than changing the memory chip only mate, why engage in such way if you have no idea about it in the first place? It's why I don't listen to people who gave me such idea to buy 8gb memory and insta on 4gb rx570 of mine, the memory are costly and the chances of making it work is very slim

As i stated, it was an experiment. that 580 was getting dust in my closet and the chips i received for free. the only cost was the soldering itself, and was not expensive. I want to make a kind of proof of concept.

From my research i found that in some cases, the board is the same for 4gb and 8 gb versions of 580, hence the testing moving forward.

I also think that the issue could be 50% related with the bios setup (timings and other parameters) and 50% with the hardware (board) itself.

Before the testing, i assumed that something could go wrong, but was a calculated risk. My focus now is to narrow the issue root-cause, and test proposed solution from guys that are having more experience than me on  bios customization and hardware knowledge.
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 31, 2021, 07:48:11 PM

You must flash bios to 8g using ch341a or similar supported bios flasher.it will not flash bios on mobo. Get from techpowerup samsung bios. 1st try same brand bios samsung 8g it should work. good luck
erikson_82 (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 02:57:49 PM

You must flash bios to 8g using ch341a or similar supported bios flasher.it will not flash bios on mobo. Get from techpowerup samsung bios. 1st try same brand bios samsung 8g it should work. good luck

Thanks bastonxl. I will try this option .
Possible stupid question: is there a significant difference between flaahing using atiflash and using ch341a?
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 03:09:14 PM

Possible stupid question: is there a significant difference between flaahing using atiflash and using ch341a?
There is no difference. atiflash you use when your video card is working, If your card is not working, then you use the programmer.
Many programmers have special adapters that allow flashing a BIOS chip without soldering.
If the BIOS firmware does not solve the problem, then you need to look at the jumpers on the video card, which may be responsible for the memory size.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
batsonxl

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 04:14:45 PM

There is no difference. atiflash you use when your video card is working, If your card is not working, then you use the programmer.
Many programmers have special adapters that allow flashing a BIOS chip without soldering.
If the BIOS firmware does not solve the problem, then you need to look at the jumpers on the video card, which may be responsible for the memory size.
Yes exactly. ch341a allows you flash without any restriction.
batsonxl

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 04:19:25 PM

and by the way dont change timings. 1st make clean bios flash, make sure all gpu clocks memory appears correct and give some stress test to make sure that card is working.
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2021, 10:48:43 AM

erikson_82
I have another idea. Install hive os on a USB flash drive and see if this video card will mine
First, run the video card on standard settings for half a day, if there are no errors, then overclock the video card.
Can you tell the store where you bought the memory for your video card?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
erikson_82 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2021, 06:48:01 PM

erikson_82
I have another idea. Install hive os on a USB flash drive and see if this video card will mine
First, run the video card on standard settings for half a day, if there are no errors, then overclock the video card.

hi,

is not working, i receive an error on gpu initialization
batsonxl

View Profile
April 02, 2021, 07:21:31 PM

erikson_82

hi,

Why are you insisting im telling you it will not work until you make proper bios flash believe me. order ch341a it is only 5-10$ price and you will flash your bios in 5 minutes.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 05:28:04 AM

You should try and get some high resolution photo of a PCB from an Sapphire RX580 8GB and compare to your card and see if anything else is changed besides the memory chips. Since the 8GB variants usually allow higher clock speeds there might be slightly different parts which are used by the memory controller.

No easy way to figure this out unless you got 2 board right in front of you where you can compare and read the component numbers. It might look identical at first but there can be many different parts.

Another issue is, are you sure the job was done properly? Its not easy to resolder that many surface mount components. Maybe one or 2 pins ended up being soldered together and you got a short somewhere.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ceyflix-Rez

Activity: 420

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 11:01:57 AM

Honestly isn't this a whole new trouble seeking and also time wasting? I've never seen anyone successfully changing memory chips and viola! The gpu works without touching anything else, I knew it's never going to work just like that, there are other things to consider here, like

Cards with 8gb vram will need some more power diodes and resistors to send the right current to power the 8gb vram correctly, now putting that on a board with 4gb build from scratch will surely cause headaches

batsonxl

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 11:21:33 AM

rx 580 4g is same with rx 580 8g, same power usage same circuit same pcb. it works perfectly. he only need correctly install bios.
rx 570 4g is same with rx 570 8g and rx470 4g same with 470 8g.
TheMimic1

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 03:16:35 PM

rx 580 4g is same with rx 580 8g, same power usage same circuit same pcb. it works perfectly. he only need correctly install bios.
Hi have you don't this experiment on your own? Is there any tutor or video that can back up this claim because it's very hard to believe that this will work only by changing the mem chips, I have a rx570 4gb here and also a dead rx470 8gb that I can use for experiment but I need to be certain first

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     ITSMYNE     ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social-plus NFT marketplace for official sports NFTs
[      t w i t t e r      ]  [    t e l e g r a m    ]  [   i n s t a g r a m   ]  [      d i s c o r d      ]
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 05:00:14 PM

erikson_82

hi,

You have tried many versions of the video card bios, but the reason for the error may be different. I looked at the reports of other miners and they had no problems, the firmware of the first 8 GB BIOS allowed the video card to mine Ethereum.
Lack of voltage in the memory can cause this problem or you need to re-solder the jumpers on the video card

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
batsonxl

View Profile
April 04, 2021, 06:13:35 AM

Hi have you don't this experiment on your own? Is there any tutor or video that can back up this claim because it's very hard to believe that this will work only by changing the mem chips, I have a rx570 4gb here and also a dead rx470 8gb that I can use for experiment but I need to be certain first
if you just spend 5-10min searching you will find it but here for you. And why is hard to believe,when you change on your pc rams from 4g to 8g is miracle?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BTc01sOrQ&t=620s you dont need to understand language. i only did once and it is working like new no problem, i need 8g chips they are expensive so looking dead 8g cards around.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: