Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:31:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3080 doesn't respond to power limit.  (Read 118 times)
Qwertyhf (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 18, 2021, 01:00:01 PM

Hey.

I've a 3080 gigabyte oc that is causing me headache. It was running fine on my 16x slot but after I tried to run it on a powered riser it doesn't respond to my power limit. I've used msi afterburner and evga x1. I even tried to limit the power with setting limits in the miner config.

Miner is reporting 30 Watts usage but the card is doing 80 mh/s as an example which is wrong.

I've another 3080 asus tuf that runs fine so I switched riser and cable from that to my troubled card and still the same problem.

I've done all the usual trouble shooting but nothing helped so far, reinstalled drivers, changed settings in Bios, changed cables, changed pcie slots, changed miners, etc...

Anyone knows what the problem here?  Huh

https://prnt.sc/11lhq95
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ummasek

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2021, 08:03:11 PM

You`re GPU has thortling problem.
It slows down a bit because of the heat.
Try to spinn fans a little bit more, or add an extra fan to cool it more.
Qwertyhf (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2021, 08:26:29 PM

Fans are running at 92% in the screen shot and I've fans around the gpu.

The overheating is not the issue here it's the lack of control over the power limit that is my issue.

For my overheating i need to change pads which I'm waiting for amazon to send them to me. My problem is that I can't limit the power otherwise I don't run the card higher than 90c.
Stedre

Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2021, 03:12:42 PM

Same problem here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5287329.msg56717569#msg56717569.

https://prnt.sc/11pfbon

All are Gigabyte 3080. 36°. 100%. No problems with 3090.
jims2321

Activity: 30
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 19, 2021, 07:30:34 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Looking at your screen shoot, the HWINFO for the gpu draw matches what the miner is reporting of 38W (now why it reporting just the gpu pull is another question) and that maybe correct at that moment in time measurement.  GPU power draw will bounce as it works.  If the hashrate is in your expected rate, then I would not focus on that issue.  What some others have pointed out is the memory junction temp is way too high.  You might want to look at doing a tear down and redo the thermal pads and paste on this card. 
Qwertyhf (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2021, 07:42:32 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Hey.

I'm aware of the thermals, it's hard to get thermal pads atm but they are shipped to me and I'll get them soon.

I usually go -1000Mhz on memory and around 55% power limit so the card does around 80 MH/s at 88 to 86C Vram temps because I don't have any pads atm!

--------------------------------------

I narrowed the problem down to input section of PCIE power delivery because of what I see on Hardware-Info, but I don't dare to run the card anymore, I only run it for max 5 min for trouble shooting otherwise it's just sitting on my desk as decoration Smiley

I've opened up a ticket with Gigabyte to see what they say before I do a open heart surgery on the  card. I hoped that someone had this issue and they could direct me to the solution.

http://prntscr.com/11pp1g3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: