Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:24:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Carbon Footprint  (Read 295 times)
TimeTeller

Activity: 2730
Merit: 588

View Profile
January 24, 2022, 08:38:25 PM

Are you worried about Bitcoin mining energy consumption? I've read it's using more electricity than Argentina, it's using more than energy than American Airlines and Bitcoin miners in Iceland use more electricity than their entire national domestic consumption.

Electricity production is far from being the biggest source of greenhouse emissions. Society should worry about things like meat production, construction, chemical industry, metallurgy, transportation and lots of other industries before thinking about Bitcoin mining.

IMO this environmental FUD is not only beneficial for banks and nocoiners, but also for the big polluters who found a nice scapegoat for distracting the public from the real problems.

This is very true. As based on this article, manufacturing consumes the biggest energy -
This is to give an insight on how industries are consuming the energy.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/use-of-energy/industry.php

Bitcoin mining may consume good amount of energy but it may not be comparable to manufacturing industries.
Besides, there are other bitcoin mining facilities which are already using renewable energy sources.
This is why, some new crypto miners are deploying the use of solar panels or utilizing hydro power.
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1104

View Profile
January 24, 2022, 09:23:48 PM

Bitcoin bad for Earth! Stop bitcoin save the planet!

At  the same time:

Copper mine sludge waste dump in Romania. So big it drowned a whole village.

Just another day in China. So much smog one might think it's a foggy day. In many cities smog levels are 12x higher from what's considered safe by the WHO.

A river of garbage in India
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmryr65iTwM

It's estimated that about 70% of water in India is unfit for drinking

Out of 4 most polluted cities in the world 1 is in China and the other 3 in India, yet governments of both these countries are against bitcoin.

We destroy the environment, but look people, bitcoin also destroys the environment and we ban bitcoin so it makes us save the environment, right?

arabspaceship123 (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 190

I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2022, 01:02:49 PM

It's always been known manufacturing industries are heavy polluters they've consumed heavy energy. If Bitcoin's being used a scapegoat what's the way to turn it around?

Are you worried about Bitcoin mining energy consumption? I've read it's using more electricity than Argentina, it's using more than energy than American Airlines and Bitcoin miners in Iceland use more electricity than their entire national domestic consumption.

Electricity production is far from being the biggest source of greenhouse emissions. Society should worry about things like meat production, construction, chemical industry, metallurgy, transportation and lots of other industries before thinking about Bitcoin mining.

IMO this environmental FUD is not only beneficial for banks and nocoiners, but also for the big polluters who found a nice scapegoat for distracting the public from the real problems.

This is very true. As based on this article, manufacturing consumes the biggest energy -
This is to give an insight on how industries are consuming the energy.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/use-of-energy/industry.php

Bitcoin mining may consume good amount of energy but it may not be comparable to manufacturing industries.
Besides, there are other bitcoin mining facilities which are already using renewable energy sources.
This is why, some new crypto miners are deploying the use of solar panels or utilizing hydro power.

██████████   ARABSPACESHIP 123     سفينة الفضاء العربية ١٢٣   ██████
|  | ||     |   
avatar & signature available to rent   |     || |  |

█████████████████  
Hire me to design your websites   █████████████████
AicecreaME

Activity: 2352
Merit: 454

View Profile
May 10, 2022, 03:50:10 PM

We're waiting for cryptocurrencies to be fully adopted in mainstream but we know it's contributing to damaging the planet. If there won't be solutions to make mining cryptocurrency environmentally friendly how can it be sustainable on current trends?

Oil and mineral extraction is damaging our environment, selling tobacco is contributing to cancer cases but it doesn't stop investors wanting to make profit in unethical projects. If we're looking at ethical facts cryptocurrency traders are involved in a business that's damaging the planet, that's what makes me feel uneasy. What's your position?

I've read this several times already. Just like any other, bitcoin really consume a lot of power and energy. However, right now, people are gradually making a stance to switch to more eco-friendly ways in order to continue bitcoin mining and at the same time, to conserve energy and save our planet. This is often the talk regarding carbon footprint. I'm actually curious as to why the blame is always pinpointing bitcoin, but not really scrutinizing other facilities, factories, and big companies regarding their electricity usage.

Not to add the pollution that they are contributing to the environment. Most of these companies are the biggest pollutants aside from using huge amount of non-renewable resources.
arabspaceship123 (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 190

I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2022, 06:31:59 PM

Factories and big companies polluted for hundreds of years without using renewable energy. Bitcoin's new to the world. It's not about blaming or comparing biggest polluters it's about whether mining Bitcoin makes people uneasy. Bitcoin's regularly pointed at because it's an easy target but that's easy to change if friendlier mining becomes popular.

We're waiting for cryptocurrencies to be fully adopted in mainstream but we know it's contributing to damaging the planet. If there won't be solutions to make mining cryptocurrency environmentally friendly how can it be sustainable on current trends?

Oil and mineral extraction is damaging our environment, selling tobacco is contributing to cancer cases but it doesn't stop investors wanting to make profit in unethical projects. If we're looking at ethical facts cryptocurrency traders are involved in a business that's damaging the planet, that's what makes me feel uneasy. What's your position?

I've read this several times already. Just like any other, bitcoin really consume a lot of power and energy. However, right now, people are gradually making a stance to switch to more eco-friendly ways in order to continue bitcoin mining and at the same time, to conserve energy and save our planet. This is often the talk regarding carbon footprint. I'm actually curious as to why the blame is always pinpointing bitcoin, but not really scrutinizing other facilities, factories, and big companies regarding their electricity usage.

Not to add the pollution that they are contributing to the environment. Most of these companies are the biggest pollutants aside from using huge amount of non-renewable resources.

██████████   ARABSPACESHIP 123     سفينة الفضاء العربية ١٢٣   ██████
|  | ||     |   
avatar & signature available to rent   |     || |  |

█████████████████  
Hire me to design your websites   █████████████████
yhiaali3
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1873

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2022, 07:15:24 PM

There must be solutions to make cryptocurrency mining environmentally friendly, I am sure we will see a number of such solutions in the near future, in any case Bitcoin mining is the most energy consuming among all other currencies, but if we look at the amazing features that Bitcoin offers us Compared with the dollar and other paper currencies, this should make us overlook the problem of environmental pollution just as we do when we overlook the use of oil, coal and even nuclear energy (which releases deadly nuclear radiation) and other sources of energy because of the urgent need of humans at the present time.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 08:07:30 PM

... in any case Bitcoin mining is the most energy consuming among all other currencies...

There is nothing wrong with consuming energy. We have an virtually unlimited amount of energy coming from the sun. People that believe that Bitcoin consumes too much energy are hypocrites or they have an agenda that has nothing to do with energy.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 11, 2022, 08:38:30 PM

If a global decentralized financial market is using energy more than a country, what is the big issue in that. It would be great if the miners were able to convert their energy sources to greener energy but i do not see that as a huge issue as long as it is helping Bitcoin to become more decentralized, more miners more decentralized and it takes energy to compete.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: