Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:48:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: High transaction fees  (Read 596 times)
BTTlobverss

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 03:31:37 AM

Yes,Right,Nowadays it's really getting hard to do small transactions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 7064

Farewell, Leo

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 07:18:04 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2021, 07:28:20 AM by BlackHatCoiner

Demerited by BlackHatCoiner (2)

There are just so many things I disagree with this message, that I'll have to demerit it.  Lips sealed

Let's take them from the ground up.

1.  LN is overly Complicated.
Your opinion? That's clearly something personal. It surely is complicated for someone who doesn't know how to use Bitcoin, but someone who does? I'd rather say that he/she just lacks interest in it to say that.

2.  Losing your Bitcoins when LN is a real possibility if you don't follow the overly complicated rules of LN.
Once you open a channel you're locking your funds on a multi-sig address that requires both signatures to spend from. Every time you transact off-chain, you sign your final balance and you're free to broadcast it whether your node wants it or not. So, how can you lose money if you "don't follow the overly complicated rules"?

3.  Using an EXchange offchain transactions is cheaper and easier than LN.
But you don't have bitcoins. Your exchange keeps the keys, so they own them.

4.  Altcoins like Doge do what Bitcoin used to do, except faster and cheaper.
You do get that the block confirmation time of dogecoin has its downsides, don't you? If the block generation happens that fast, it makes decentralization harder to achieve.

LN is no real solution, the altcoins such as Doge, have more onchain transaction capacity ,
so in the end they are better for actually using as digital money.
Lightning Network is a solution. It is very practical to transact off-chain for small micro-payments instead of broadcasting them all one-by-one in the block chain. Can you please understand that once you broadcast a transaction it gets saved on hundreds of thousands of computers world wide? You can't really believe that broadcasting a transaction every time you want a coffee is a solution, because this isn't VISA. This is the Bitcoin network and decentralization costs. The Lightning Network is the closest thing we have to accomplish the scaling issue.

As for your dogecoin:  Pump it!

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
TangentC

Activity: 266
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 05:31:40 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2021, 06:01:36 PM by TangentC
Merited by Halab (2), fillippone (1), BlackHatCoiner (1)

There are just so many things I disagree with this message, that I'll have to demerit it.  Lips sealed

Thanks for the Demerits, I shall Cherish them.  Cheesy

Your opinion? That's clearly something personal. It surely is complicated for someone who doesn't know how to use Bitcoin, but someone who does? I'd rather say that he/she just lacks interest in it to say that.

Bitcoin is easy to use , for even the moderate PC person.
LN is the stuff , where you have to be a super nerd to even mess with.
This is not the majority of people.

2.  Losing your Bitcoins when LN is a real possibility if you don't follow the overly complicated rules of LN.
Once you open a channel you're locking your funds on a multi-sig address that requires both signatures to spend from. Every time you transact off-chain, you sign your final balance and you're free to broadcast it whether your node wants it or not. So, how can you lose money if you "don't follow the overly complicated rules"?

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/91211/how-can-someone-lose-funds-in-lightning-network
You lose your partner's revocation keys:
You lose the commitment transactions:
Losing funds from going offline

Random Bugs, not sure if the one below has been fixed yet.
https://bitcoinerx.com/bitcoin/90-of-bitcoins-on-the-lightning-network-could-be-lost-to-attackers-following-current-lightening-implementation-research-says/

Nothing a Super Nerd would worry over, but more than the rest of us will waste time with,  Smiley

So, I only leave the amount on the exchange, that I plan on spending.
No one should ever keep all of their eggs in 1 basket.
However if the exchange was reputable , and they lose my coins, I can sue them for damages.
So I can get something back.

If I lose my Funds in LN for any of the reasons mentioned earlier,
who do I sue, No one, it is just gone as a sacrifice to the crypto deity.

You do get that the block confirmation time of dogecoin has its downsides, don't you? If the block generation happens that fast, it makes decentralization harder to achieve.

I get most bitcoiners believe that,
but to me it is a line of BS.

Artificially limiting BTC onchain network , so that I can claim 12 year old kids are running full nodes and keeping the network less centralized is just plain wrong.
No matter 1 or 1 billion non-mining full nodes, it has zero effect on decentralization, because all they do is relay, they don't validate ,
so this virtue is pure imagination on the part of bitcoiners, kind of you have to believe it to join the bitcoiner cult.
This one confusion of the english language causes so many bitcoiners to repeat the decentralization myth.
Validation only occurs , when a transaction is added to a new block , only mining nodes can add new blocks , so only they validate.
Non-mining nodes, can't add new blocks all they can do is relay blocks, which is why 1 non-mining node is as good as a billion, since all they do is relay blocks.
If this makes no sense to you, no worries just means you are a loyal bitcoiner that does not question blockstream.  Wink

LN is no real solution, the altcoins such as Doge, have more onchain transaction capacity ,
Lightning Network is a solution. It is very practical to transact off-chain for small micro-payments instead of broadcasting them all one-by-one in the block chain. Can you please understand that once you broadcast a transaction it gets saved on hundreds of thousands of computers world wide? You can't really believe that broadcasting a transaction every time you want a coffee is a solution, because this isn't VISA. This is the Bitcoin network and decentralization costs. The Lightning Network is the closest thing we have to accomplish the scaling issue.

I get you think LN is the solution.
Personally , I don't.

The only way it becomes a solution , is if you pay a bank to credit you with capital on their LN channels, and when finished they let you cash out in fiat. Notice at no point , do you actually buy or sell bitcoin in the above scenario. That is the only way you avoid the overly high transaction fees to open and close LN channels. But theses are just my opinions. In time, all will be apparent.  Smiley

FYI:
https://coingeek.com/lightning-strikes-out/
Hebrew University professors have disclosed another attack on Lightning Network,
but that is far from the first problem that BTC’s alleged “scaling solution,” has experienced this year.
Five years after the network launched, Lightning Network is still in a perpetual beta phase wrought with bugs, CVEs and frequent zero-day attacks that Bitcoin was created to solve in 2008.
But they persist on the network designed to steal Bitcoin transactions, process them for free by avoiding proof of work,
and the engineers claim Lightning solves Bitcoin’s supposed short-comings by (wait for it…) adding exponential complexity on a separate ledger.
sort_cirkit

Activity: 368
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2021, 06:25:36 PM

A few months ago, the price of Bitcoin was just below 10,000. Although the transaction fee was very low at that time, its value is much higher at this time. The transaction fee has now increased 6 times. The volume of transactions has increased a lot with the increase in the price of Bitcoin. Anyone who needs it will no longer move to pay the fee. Rather it will hold more.
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary

Farewell, Leo

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 06:43:24 PM

No you don't. You may be that "nerd" in order to understand their technical background, and LN's is obviously harder to understand, but both of them can be easily used by the averaged person. (After you show him/her how it works)

I agree that being difficult to understand is a disadvantage, since you have to understand everything you're doing on this sector, but sometimes, good stuff require complexity to work. I hope that we both agree that if you transact off-chain it is more practical.

Also, I want to point you that the majority of its users are already unaware of its technical background. They just use it, because they feel it's simple. You shouldn't be forgetting that Bitcoin was invented by those "nerds". It then delved into the market, as always...

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/91211/how-can-someone-lose-funds-in-lightning-network
Please excuse me! I am reading about LN these days, but it seems I didn't know that. Merited by BlackHatCoiner (1)

Anyway, I don't have much to say here. For the revocation keys and the commitment transactions, I can gently respond that LN is under development. I guess that there will be a solution for those two on improvement proposals. As for losing funds by going offline, I'll have to take it a better look, because I haven't fully got how can that happen.

What exactly will you accomplish if you move your funds to an exchange? Paying even higher fees?

However if the exchange was reputable , and they lose my coins, I can sue them for damages.
So, all bets are offTongue

Not sure if you can sue them, but anyway.

Artificially limiting BTC onchain network , so that I can claim 12 year old kids are running full nodes and keeping the network less centralized is just plain wrong.

No matter 1 or 1 billion non-mining full nodes, it has zero effect on decentralization, because all they do is relay, they don't validate ,
so this virtue is pure imagination on the part of bitcoiners, kind of you have to believe it to join the bitcoiner cult.
You're lucky that I'm ran out of demerits. Ever heard of Sybil Attack? You are contributing to the harmony of the network if you run a full node. AFAIK, you aren't connecting on the same nodes each time you establish a connection, but a Bitcoin Core expert can correct me. There's that thing called peer discovery that stimulates decentralization.

The fewer the nodes the worse the decentralization.

If this makes no sense to you, no worries just means you are a loyal bitcoiner that does not question blockstream.
Just for your information, I ain't a Bitcoin fanboy, but neither a hater. I like seeing things objectively. I don't believe that Bitcoin can be used on a global scale, or in other words:  I don't believe the so called "global adoption", because realistically it can't work.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
skarais
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2087

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2021, 07:00:03 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (2)

Anyone who needs it will no longer move to pay the fee. Rather it will hold more.
Almost every weekend the transaction fee can drop lower than normal days. I just thought that someone might mind paying high transaction fee if the estimated bitcoin value they had was not that much and a good solution for them would be to wait over the weekend. So far, I am quite used to doing it there. Small transaction may not occur much as long as transaction fee increase, and that's normal. But in my opinion it will not be a problem for those who need fast transaction with a sizable amount of bitcoin.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
jerrison

Activity: 1442
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2021, 11:18:46 PM

High transaction fees has always been the challenge associated with loads of blockchain starting from the Bitoin which is the flagship of cryptocurrencies and all other blockchains as well. Ethereum so far, has the most charged fees in the history of blockchain as loads of transactions gets to be verified within the same time and therefore attracts high ges fees.

jpnl0006

Activity: 480
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 11:42:33 PM

High gas fees has made loads of people to avoid the blockchains that are actually related with those gas fees. For example, ethereum has recorded the highest gas fees over the period of time when it came to play. The bitcoin network has also recorded high gas fees but not as much as it has been recorded with the ethereum network. Although it has been slashed by 50% but its quite difficult to see people pay outrageous amounts for gas.
Rabi3

Activity: 1204
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 11:47:24 PM

High gas fees has made loads of people to avoid the blockchains that are actually related with those gas fees. For example, ethereum has recorded the highest gas fees over the period of time when it came to play. The bitcoin network has also recorded high gas fees but not as much as it has been recorded with the ethereum network. Although it has been slashed by 50% but its quite difficult to see people pay outrageous amounts for gas.
and i am one of those people, i don't remember the last time i used bitcoin to buy something or to sell, i always look for other option with lower fees, but Ethereum seems to be doing just fine these days though, but nothing you can do with bitcoin if you have small amounts transactions to make.

sumant
Copper Member

Activity: 770
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 02:39:44 AM

High transaction fees made my life very tough. I have earned many coins through airdrop or bounties in my wallet which transaction fees are more then their value. Eth transaction fees are out of this world. There is coin called tron what ever the market value would be but the transaction fees is only 1 trx. On  Other side  eth goes in price their fees are ahead of eth value.
eXtremal

Activity: 2106
Merit: 282

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2021, 03:11:17 AM

I have concluded Bitcoin is flawed unless you are rich and always make large purchases. I once considered buying bitcoin to purchase cannabis seeds overseas. Not anymore. It is not worth it because of the transaction fees. Add the volatility of the price to that. Why? Why would I bother? I think many others will conclude the same.

That is the decentralized nature of bitcoin, therefore we cannot determine the transaction fees we have to adjust them like most people. Sometimes high costs are influenced by the high price of bitcoin as it is today. The solution is, using coins at a low cost, this is why not only is there one cryptocurrency in the world, but we have more than hundreds by having their own superiority.

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
eXtremal

Activity: 2106
Merit: 282

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2021, 03:13:52 AM

High transaction fees has always been the challenge associated with loads of blockchain starting from the Bitoin which is the flagship of cryptocurrencies and all other blockchains as well. Ethereum so far, has the most charged fees in the history of blockchain as loads of transactions gets to be verified within the same time and therefore attracts high ges fees.

This is the biggest problem faced by a cryptocurrency, if it has a high cost then it will be immediately abandoned by the community. As well as eth, which at that time had very high transactions, they began to switch to bnb smart chain. I hope the project in the future has speed and generosity in transaction fees. it's a lot of fun for bitcoin which is too expensive nowadays.

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
JOIN NOW
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 03:57:24 AM

4 sats per byte fees are now confirming. The mempool is much clearer than it’s been for some time, might be a good idea to consolidate smaller amounts now if you want to.

Yeah.. a few hours back, some of my transactions got confirmed immediately, after paying as little as 11 Sat/Byte in fee. The Mempool is still quite bit, with 100 MB of transactions pending to be confirmed. But this is a big improvement when compared to the situation we had two weeks ago, when the size had swelled to around 250 MB. I hope everyone makes use of this opportunity to combine their smaller outputs, so that the fee can be reduced in the future.

When you say 11 Sat/Byte in fee, how much satoshi is that and how much USD is that approximately?
So you could send a transaction right now with 2 sat/byte and it would work but take very long?

Average transactions have a size of 100-150 Bytes, so a fee of 11 Sat/Byte translates to around 1200-1600 Satoshis in fee. That comes to around BTC0.000012 - BTC0.000016, and as per the current exchange rates, this amounts to $0.67-$0.90. But the size of your transaction decides everything. If your wallet contains a large number of small-sized transactions, then the size will be larger and therefore the total fee will be higher. And a fee of 2 Sat/Byte would be too low, IMO. It may never get confirmed.
Kelvinid

Activity: 2758
Merit: 343

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 04:44:28 AM

This is the biggest problem faced by a cryptocurrency, if it has a high cost then it will be immediately abandoned by the community. As well as eth, which at that time had very high transactions, they began to switch to bnb smart chain. I hope the project in the future has speed and generosity in transaction fees. it's a lot of fun for bitcoin which is too expensive nowadays.
But why it never happens? That even the transaction cost is high but people have no other options to take, they'll have to pay for for it or just leave their coins. But we have to be in mind that this will not be forever (as I believe), sooner or later, the fees will drop down together with the price. It was just now that the price is too high and in correlates to the situation we have. If I have just to transfer a coins worth $50 while I have to pay for $10, I never do that unless if I'm badly need of money.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 06:14:35 AM

4 sats per byte fees are now confirming. The mempool is much clearer than it’s been for some time, might be a good idea to consolidate smaller amounts now if you want to.

Yeah.. a few hours back, some of my transactions got confirmed immediately, after paying as little as 11 Sat/Byte in fee. The Mempool is still quite bit, with 100 MB of transactions pending to be confirmed. But this is a big improvement when compared to the situation we had two weeks ago, when the size had swelled to around 250 MB. I hope everyone makes use of this opportunity to combine their smaller outputs, so that the fee can be reduced in the future.

When you say 11 Sat/Byte in fee, how much satoshi is that and how much USD is that approximately?
So you could send a transaction right now with 2 sat/byte and it would work but take very long?

Average transactions have a size of 100-150 Bytes, so a fee of 11 Sat/Byte translates to around 1200-1600 Satoshis in fee. That comes to around BTC0.000012 - BTC0.000016, and as per the current exchange rates, this amounts to $0.67-$0.90. But the size of your transaction decides everything. If your wallet contains a large number of small-sized transactions, then the size will be larger and therefore the total fee will be higher. And a fee of 2 Sat/Byte would be too low, IMO. It may never get confirmed.

Right now 1 Sat/Byte txs are confirming.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
TangentC

Activity: 266
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 06:31:57 AM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (3)

You're lucky that I'm ran out of demerits. Ever heard of Sybil Attack? You are contributing to the harmony of the network if you run a full node. AFAIK, you aren't connecting on the same nodes each time you establish a connection, but a Bitcoin Core expert can correct me. There's that thing called peer discovery that stimulates decentralization.

The fewer the nodes the worse the decentralization.

You seem more reasonable than the majority.   Smiley

Here is why I think the way I do about the non-mining nodes not helping decentralization.

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/50922/whats-a-sybil-attack
Sybil attacks are avoided in Bitcoin by requiring block generation ability to be proportional to computational power available through the proof-of-work mechanism. That way, an adversary is limited in how many blocks they can produce. This provides strong cryptographic guarantees of Sybil resilience.

Non-mining nodes can't generate new blocks. They only relay blocks generated by mining nodes.

What make BTC resistant to Sybil is that by segregating the evildoer's mining hashrate from the rest of the network, block propagating would stall without the rest of the network mining nodes hashrate.

All of the protection/security of Bitcoin network is from the Mining Pools and their mining nodes that generate blocks.

All a non-mining nodes does is provide the user with a local receipt copy of all transactions,
Here is an example to clear it up for you,
if I run 500 non-mining nodes from a different IP address is that more decentralized
than running 1 non-mining node. Trick question , because 1 or 500 neither generates blocks, so neither help decentralization.

If I run 10 mining nodes instead of 1 mining node, then the 10 mining nodes do increase decentralization.

If that makes sense to you , great,

if not, Have a Great Day anyway.  Smiley
BlackHatCoiner
Legendary

Farewell, Leo

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 08:05:38 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2021, 09:28:10 AM by BlackHatCoiner
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (2)

If that makes sense to you , great
It does make sense to me and I get why that kink for dogecoin, from your side, but there's something that is missing from every other altcoin:  None of them has the first mover advantage.

Besides that, I notice a huge marketing manipulation from dogecoin.

44.51% of dogecoins are owned by 10 whales and 20.60% of dogecoins are owned by large investors, which means that 65% of the dogecoins are owned by these entities. I wouldn't call Dogecoin "for the rest of us", it looks rather an investment to me. In fees, it may be better than Bitcoin technically, but is it seemingly better? Nah. There may be better cryptocurrencies in the future, but none of the creators will convince you to switch from the first mover. It's just phenomenally impossible.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2021, 08:42:58 AM

There are just so many things I disagree with this message, that I'll have to demerit it.  Lips sealed

Thanks for the Demerits, I shall Cherish them.  Cheesy

Random Bugs, not sure if the one below has been fixed yet.
https://bitcoinerx.com/bitcoin/90-of-bitcoins-on-the-lightning-network-could-be-lost-to-attackers-following-current-lightening-implementation-research-says/

Nothing a Super Nerd would worry over, but more than the rest of us will waste time with,  Smiley

If I lose my Funds in LN for any of the reasons mentioned earlier,
who do I sue, No one, it is just gone as a sacrifice to the crypto deity.

I get most bitcoiners believe that,
but to me it is a line of BS.

This one confusion of the english language causes so many bitcoiners to repeat the decentralization myth.
Validation only occurs , when a transaction is added to a new block , only mining nodes can add new blocks , so only they validate.
Non-mining nodes, can't add new blocks all they can do is relay blocks, which is why 1 non-mining node is as good as a billion, since all they do is relay blocks.
If this makes no sense to you, no worries just means you are a loyal bitcoiner that does not question blockstream.  Wink

I get you think LN is the solution.
Personally , I don't.

The only way it becomes a solution , is if you pay a bank to credit you with capital on their LN channels, and when finished they let you cash out in fiat. Notice at no point , do you actually buy or sell bitcoin in the above scenario. That is the only way you avoid the overly high transaction fees to open and close LN channels. But theses are just my opinions. In time, all will be apparent.  Smiley

FYI:
https://coingeek.com/lightning-strikes-out/
Hebrew University professors have disclosed another attack on Lightning Network,
but that is far from the first problem that BTC’s alleged “scaling solution,” has experienced this year.
Five years after the network launched, Lightning Network is still in a perpetual beta phase wrought with bugs, CVEs and frequent zero-day attacks that Bitcoin was created to solve in 2008.
But they persist on the network designed to steal Bitcoin transactions, process them for free by avoiding proof of work,
and the engineers claim Lightning solves Bitcoin’s supposed short-comings by (wait for it…) adding exponential complexity on a separate ledger.

+

So many things are gettin sold under the name of Bitcoin

but just is not Bitcoin

'high fees' for electronic cash to use is just one of it

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Merit: 6321

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
May 07, 2021, 08:52:45 AM

Please go fishing with your BSV trolling to altcoin topics.
I can't help but enjoying your perfect timing: you talk about high fees when 2 sat/vByte transactions are mined.
It shows your degree of understanding on what you're talking about.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 09, 2021, 12:01:17 PM

Right now 1 Sat/Byte txs are confirming.

Yes.. that happened after many months. And also, this one off incident doesn't mean that transactions with a fee of 1 Sat/Byte will get confirmed with surety. Right now fee for high priority transaction is being measured at 2 Sat/Byte and the Mempool is largely empty (less than 80 MB). But once the mining difficulty gets adjusted again, you will see an increase in the fee once more. Anyway, right now I am sending some of the low-priority transactions. Two transactions got confirmed in 5 minutes, after paying a fee of 2.7 Sat/Byte.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: