Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chia plotting and farming question  (Read 701 times)
Skinny48 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 06:37:24 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2021, 09:19:39 AM by Skinny48

I'm planning to build a farming setup for chia project but I'm having a hard time making a final decision, should I go with server setup since the farming need to be running everyday or I should just build a desktop for plotting and farming? Also anyone using laptop to plot here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheMimic1

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 11:20:37 AM

Don't even think about it, yesterday a guy on reddit starts farming chia coin and he claimed that it will take years to earn coins with 100TB, I believe this coin have already reach the stage where by it's too late for people like you to build rigs and start mining, better option is to wait for listing and look at the price on exchange, wait for dips cos it will happen and buy cheap

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     ITSMYNE     ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social-plus NFT marketplace for official sports NFTs
[      t w i t t e r      ]  [    t e l e g r a m    ]  [   i n s t a g r a m   ]  [      d i s c o r d      ]
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 08:26:15 PM

Users are already mining this coin on farms with 100-200 terabytes. If you make 5-10 plots on your laptop, you would be looking for a block for several years. But keep in mind that the number of hard drives is constantly growing and your chances will constantly decrease.
I do not have large hard drives, and with small hard drives of 0.5-1 terabytes, there is no point in mining

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
April 25, 2021, 10:00:52 AM

Everybody talking about this. What happened in 2017? I remember there was something like this but i forgot about it.
Looper_U

Activity: 369
Merit: 16

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 25, 2021, 10:17:30 AM

The painful part about chia mining is you have to keep adding hdd space to keep earning a certain amount of chia coin or your reward will start decreasing, isn't that insane? A gpu card can last you 3 years before they become obsolete, this plotting and farming from chia is no comparable to PoW algorithm, I'd rather buy cards

Synerggy

Activity: 248
Merit: 13

Futiracoin.com

View Profile
April 25, 2021, 10:25:57 AM

I'm interested in chia too but I want to actually see how this coin performs after listing and also how rewarding it will be if people are mining through pools instead of solo mining, it took bitcoin 10 years to be this big so it's never going to be too late anyways

●          ◯        Futira Coin        ◯          ●
████ ███ ██ █        First Crypto-Enabled Telecommunication Network       █ ██ ███ ████
Facebook     |     Twitter     |     Telegram     |     LinkedIn     |     Github     |     Discord
bretthexum

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 03:33:44 AM

If you have old drives that aren't being used, why not try it. 

I wouldn't spend any extra $$ on it though.   Personally I have about 8 TB of old SSD's I am plotting and farming.  If I get a few coins, great.  If not, no loss.
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 01:28:14 PM

I wouldn't spend any extra $$ on it though.   Personally I have about 8 TB of old SSD's I am plotting and farming.  If I get a few coins, great.  If not, no loss.
The thing is you can't use old hard disk for plotting chia coin because they are extremely slow, the best SSD you can use is nvme, you can only use the old HDD for farming that is moving your plots from the nvme SSD to the old HDD

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1771

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 04:11:00 PM

Everybody talking about this. What happened in 2017? I remember there was something like this but i forgot about it.
People seem to forget so fast. I remember the electroneum hype back in 2017. How one could just mine with a phone blah blah. The talk about electroneum was all the place from telegram groups, YouTube channels and forums but can anyone tell me how far electroneum has gone so far 4 years later?

Lucky I didn't fall for it, but I do know people who made lots of losses in the coin.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2021, 05:45:07 PM

is this another Burstcoin variant?

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
Bravehash

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 05:58:24 PM

People seem to forget so fast. I remember the electroneum hype back in 2017. How one could just mine with a phone blah blah. The talk about electroneum was all the place from telegram groups, YouTube channels and forums but can anyone tell me how far electroneum has gone so far 4 years later?

Lucky I didn't fall for it, but I do know people who made lots of losses in the coin.
Mining electroneum is easier because many people use smartphones these days so I don't understand why you said some people are in loss mining electroneum, so far it's the most easiest coin to mine since all it requires is just your smartphone

Bravehash

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 06:01:06 PM

is this another Burstcoin variant?
Yes its more like burstcoin but not entirely a proof of capacity which is the algorithm that burstcoin uses, honestly speaking to me bust coin is a complete failure because there is no big or huge spike on bust coins value to date, I hope this coin won't be the same thing

bretthexum

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2021, 03:00:06 PM

The thing is you can't use old hard disk for plotting chia coin because they are extremely slow, the best SSD you can use is nvme, you can only use the old HDD for farming that is moving your plots from the nvme SSD to the old HDD

Yes, correct.  I am plotting on fast nvme, and moving to old disks. 
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 27, 2021, 03:10:07 PM

Keep doing what you do best and don't listen to any negative comment, chia coin can actually be the next big project in crypto space, I know it's very hard to mine but that coin will have good value, if the IOU can be sold around 1k to 5k anything is possible, good luck
ZaebaloRegitsa4

Activity: 64

View Profile
July 04, 2021, 11:53:01 PM

Hi! Has you tried a some like RAM disk for plotting? https://ddramdisk.tech/
This looks more profitable than the SSD... How important is the speed of random access for plotting?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 05, 2021, 11:48:35 AM

The MadMax Chia plotter can be configured to use a RAM disk by default, which is faster than using a NVMe SSD plus there is much less wear and tear. The MadMax plotter is also able to use CPU threading more effectively and is much faster than the the Chia wallet plotter. Ideally, you need at least 128GB of RAM to use as a temp drive for a k32 plot.

https://github.com/stotiks/chia-plotter/releases

https://youtu.be/RrWKGABzahw

https://youtu.be/_N8HBl4QTI8
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 05, 2021, 02:19:11 PM

The MadMax Chia plotter can be configured to use a RAM disk by default, which is faster than using a NVMe SSD plus there is much less wear and tear. The MadMax plotter is also able to use CPU threading more effectively and is much faster than the the Chia wallet plotter. Ideally, you need at least 128GB of RAM to use as a temp drive for a k32 plot.

https://github.com/stotiks/chia-plotter/releases

https://youtu.be/RrWKGABzahw

https://youtu.be/_N8HBl4QTI8

just make sure you use the RAMs "limited lifetime warranty" when it becomes handy  Wink beats the 2-3-4 year warranty of HDDs, SSDs and GPUs. and probably those 10-12year from PSUs.
ZaebaloRegitsa4

Activity: 64

View Profile
July 05, 2021, 08:12:13 PM

The MadMax Chia plotter can be configured to use a RAM disk by default,
There has never been an obstacle to configuring a RAM disk before in Windows. But my motherboard does not support that amount of RAM Wink And no other motherboard for home use either.
Read the description on my link:
RAM disk, this is a disk based on RAM memory chips. This kind of disk is not able to retain data after the power is turned off (unless a supporting battery is used), but has an exceptionally high read/write speed (especially for random access) and an unlimited lifespan.
The second evident condition is that the future drive works in the same way as HDD or SSD drive and is completely compatible with the OS and software products. That is why the Silicon Motion SM2262EN chip was used. The chip supports PCIe x4, NVME 1.3, native DDR memory for clutter buffering and 8 channels of NAND/TLC memory. This allows it to use all available PCIe x4 speeds with no loss of speed.
I would not waste your time on the background of our quest, but in result we came to an architectural solution with four FPGAs evenly spread over the card’s PCB, each of them connected to two banks of 32 DDR chips and programmatically emulated the work of two NAND chips each.

It is not an SSD, although it emulates how it works. And it will work on any PCIe, as far as i can tell.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 05, 2021, 08:38:56 PM

Most high end quad-channel gaming motherboards should support 128GB or more memory. I have a 3960X Threadripper on a ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40 mobo that supports up to 256GB of RAM.  There is a slight speed increase from plotting to a RAM disk, but the main advantage is to limit wear and tear on SSD's which have a limited TBW lifespan. Especially for consumer drives.
anu1908

Activity: 770
Merit: 268

View Profile
July 06, 2021, 02:24:45 AM

Most high end quad-channel gaming motherboards should support 128GB or more memory. I have a 3960X Threadripper on a ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40 mobo that supports up to 256GB of RAM. 

threadripper is not a gaming focused product though. i think it's more suitable to point at hedt if you want to focus on ram channel and ram size. if you want more, try threadripper pro. the cost is obviously way higher.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: