Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:33:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55413 times)
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 01:36:26 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2012, 08:26:07 PM by slush

I'm confirming that it happen when I was sending coins between two BitcoinSpinners. Thank you for the patch, I'll check it on the evening.

EDIT: I can confirm that it is OK now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 06:58:08 PM

Another bug report:

Friend of mine installed BitcoinSpinner, but reported balance was "unknown". I remember that I had "0.00000000 BTC" on freshly installed BitcoinSpinner, so this catched my attention. Then I send him 1 BTC, but nothing happen. Next day the "unknown" balance changed to "0.00000000 BTC", so send him another 0.01 BTC, because I thought that it may be some caching issue on the server. Unfortunately, nothing changed again.

It is few days now and he still don't see his balance. I tried his key (using Backup / Restore) on another device and balance is still 0, although there are two transactions on that address on blockchain.info (http://blockchain.info/address/1JMLBfckLq6WPQm1NzebS5MGgzJR8Xgw8d).

Can you please elaborate? I know that Spinner is using some light accounts on server side, so maybe he created his wallet in time of some outage. But I'd like to have that 1.01 BTC again...

Bottom line - today I met another guy who still have issues with "bitcoins on the way". So it's obviously not fixed. One transaction was from Satoshi's client, second one from mtgox, so that bug is not related just to Spinner-Spinner transactions...

BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:46:58 AM

Bug report:

on Android 2.2.... I can't access the "send bitcoins" or "transaction history" (the buttons are dark)
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:41:05 AM

Another bug report:

Friend of mine installed BitcoinSpinner, but reported balance was "unknown". I remember that I had "0.00000000 BTC" on freshly installed BitcoinSpinner, so this catched my attention. Then I send him 1 BTC, but nothing happen. Next day the "unknown" balance changed to "0.00000000 BTC", so send him another 0.01 BTC, because I thought that it may be some caching issue on the server. Unfortunately, nothing changed again.

It is few days now and he still don't see his balance. I tried his key (using Backup / Restore) on another device and balance is still 0, although there are two transactions on that address on blockchain.info (http://blockchain.info/address/1JMLBfckLq6WPQm1NzebS5MGgzJR8Xgw8d).

Can you please elaborate? I know that Spinner is using some light accounts on server side, so maybe he created his wallet in time of some outage. But I'd like to have that 1.01 BTC again...

Bottom line - today I met another guy who still have issues with "bitcoins on the way". So it's obviously not fixed. One transaction was from Satoshi's client, second one from mtgox, so that bug is not related just to Spinner-Spinner transactions...
The balance is reported as unknown when BS is first installed, and before it has communicated with the server. If the server is not responding the client will remain the the 'unknown' state until it has made first contact.
Since the server only tracks transactions of known public keys it will fail to observe transactions that occur to an address before initial contact.

What happened in your friends case is probably:
1. For some reason BS could not reach the server after a clean install (displayed "unknown" state)
2. You send coins to the address that the BS instance uses
3. The server does not track the transactions sent to the public key associated with the BS instance, as it hasn't made initial contact.

The fix is to not let BS display its bitcoin address until it has had initial contact with the server. I'lll look into that.

In the meantime, I am reloading the block chain to I get hold of all transactions occurring to the address. It will be done in about an hour.

Looking into the "bitcoins on the way" issue.

Bug report:
on Android 2.2.... I can't access the "send bitcoins" or "transaction history" (the buttons are dark)
The buttons are disabled if your device cannot contact the server. I'll make this more clear in the UI.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 08:16:55 AM

The buttons are disabled if your device cannot contact the server. I'll make this more clear in the UI.
Thanks. So is this a problem with the server or my phone?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:25:25 AM

Thanks. So is this a problem with the server or my phone?
Your phone is fine. The server has been down due to a block chain reload, it is up again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Let me use this opportunity to tell you that going forward I am probably going to work on reimplementing the server backend to make it run on a redundant set of servers. I hope to have more details on this effort in about a month.

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 09:38:48 AM

1. For some reason BS could not reach the server after a clean install (displayed "unknown" state)
3. The server does not track the transactions sent to the public key associated with the BS instance, as it hasn't made initial contact.

The fix is to not let BS display its bitcoin address until it has had initial contact with the server. I'lll look into that.

Yes, that would explain that lost 1BTC, actually I expected similar scenario. But friend didn't received those 0.01 BTC which I sent next day, when he already had "0.0000000 BTC" balance. But I'll tell him afternoon if blockchain reload will help him.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:41:52 AM

Yes, that would explain that lost 1BTC, actually I expected similar scenario. But friend didn't received those 0.01 BTC which I sent next day, when he already had "0.0000000 BTC" balance. But I'll tell him afternoon if blockchain reload will help him.
When I checked it the 0.1 transaction was registered. Anyway, everything is reloaded, let me know if there are any problems.

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 10:05:54 AM

Ok, my friend see the full balance now. Thank you for your assistance!

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 09:58:32 AM

I can confirm that the bug that affected sending bitcoins from one BitcoinSpinner to another has NOT been fixed. I've been experiencing this problem continuously even after it was supposedly fixed. I have the newest version and I've been showing off Bitcoin to others with this wallet and I always have the problem. I haven't tested in a week or so but I have tested way after 8th when it was supposedly fixed.

This needs another look.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:17:36 AM

I can confirm that the bug that affected sending bitcoins from one BitcoinSpinner to another has NOT been fixed. I've been experiencing this problem continuously even after it was supposedly fixed. I have the newest version and I've been showing off Bitcoin to others with this wallet and I always have the problem. I haven't tested in a week or so but I have tested way after 8th when it was supposedly fixed.

This needs another look.

I'll give it a spin.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 07:39:37 AM

This needs another look.

I'll give it a spin.
Technomage, I cannot reproduce the bug. I have sent back and forth between two BitcoinSpinner instances numerous times with no hiccups. I also tested it with other wallet types (Satoshi client and Blockchain.info) sending to BitcoinSpinner.
I guess what you experience is this (Please confirm):
When you send coins to from BitcoinSpinner A to BitcoinSpinner B, then you do not get "Coins on the way to you: X.XX" on B and you do not see the transaction in the transaction history. However, once the transaction has one confirmation then you see it in your balance and the transaction history.
If you can reproduce it then please send me a transaction hash so I can investigate. Also, do you see it in the transaction history of instance A before it has a confirmation?
Thanks.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 11:40:03 PM

Technomage, I cannot reproduce the bug. I have sent back and forth between two BitcoinSpinner instances numerous times with no hiccups. I also tested it with other wallet types (Satoshi client and Blockchain.info) sending to BitcoinSpinner.
I guess what you experience is this (Please confirm):
When you send coins to from BitcoinSpinner A to BitcoinSpinner B, then you do not get "Coins on the way to you: X.XX" on B and you do not see the transaction in the transaction history. However, once the transaction has one confirmation then you see it in your balance and the transaction history.
If you can reproduce it then please send me a transaction hash so I can investigate. Also, do you see it in the transaction history of instance A before it has a confirmation?
Thanks.

That is indeed the experience I've had. I've never had the issue when there is another wallet involved, only when it's Spinner to Spinner. I don't have two phones capable of using the Spinner at hand but when I have the chance I will do some tests and report the transaction hashes, if the bug still persists.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 12:51:42 PM

I'm seeing some strange behaviour with the newest version. Occasionally Spinner only shows a black screen and nothing else. When I press the "back" button it starts working normally. Not a fatal bug or anything but it is strange.

My phone has Gingerbread 2.3.5.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:07:43 PM

I'm seeing some strange behaviour with the newest version. Occasionally Spinner only shows a black screen and nothing else. When I press the "back" button it starts working normally. Not a fatal bug or anything but it is strange.

My phone has Gingerbread 2.3.5.
This is a known issue, and I had 3-4 reports on this. Unfortunately I have only observed it once, so I have not had the opportunity to debug it.

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 05:23:49 PM

Jan, it happen on my Desire S almost every time. I think we'll have a good chance to reproduce & debug it in London :-).

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:30:08 PM

Jan, it happen on my Desire S almost every time. I think we'll have a good chance to reproduce & debug it in London :-).
Great. Looking forward to meet you.

ScriptGadget

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:20:40 PM

Trying out bitcoin spinner for the first time. Installed on a Nexus 7 (jelly bean) and tried to send a bitcoin to the wallet a few hours ago.  I briefly saw The BTC in "coins on their way to you" then they disappeared. I show a 0 balance and no coins on the way.
BTCbalance.net shows the correct balance for the address 1BTC.

The address is: 152U2YVT27mWTbnDT5XnWxeGSjmr2Dk9e5

Any ideas?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 09:10:17 AM

Trying out bitcoin spinner for the first time. Installed on a Nexus 7 (jelly bean) and tried to send a bitcoin to the wallet a few hours ago.  I briefly saw The BTC in "coins on their way to you" then they disappeared. I show a 0 balance and no coins on the way.
BTCbalance.net shows the correct balance for the address 1BTC.

The address is: 152U2YVT27mWTbnDT5XnWxeGSjmr2Dk9e5

Any ideas?
ScriptGadget, you hit the server at a bad time, while I was doing an upgrade. Everything should be in place now. Once I get server redundancy this should not happen again.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 09:39:32 AM

Hi Jan,

Maybe I missed it but did you announce something about BitcoinSpinner during the Bitcoin Conference?

unclescrooge
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: