Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 12:13:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Maximalism  (Read 495 times)
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3132

View Profile
June 17, 2021, 10:13:46 PM
Merited by DooMAD (2)

At what point are we simply re-inventing the wheel?  If the general idea behind Bitcoin was to empower people to handle their own money, going down that route, it sounds more as though we've effectively just added another middleman to the existing group of financial middlemen

The problem is that you can't expect everyone to take advantage of the potential financial independency. Simply put, people are lazy and seek the easy way of doing things. Most of them might never use a non-custodial wallet.

Unless I've misunderstood something, I get the impression there's no real benefit to the average customer beyond what they'd get using fiat alone?

That depends on what you think that the average customer is more likely to value. For example, Bitcoin transactions are irreversible. Assuming that most merchants will use third-party payment processors, this probably won't be a problem if they have some refund policy like Visa or MasterCard. Otherwise, there are going to be a ton of complaints. Unless governments push CBDCs and negative interest rates, I don't think that ordinary people have any significant incentive to switch over.

Or do the benefits stack more on the side of the merchants who wish to receive payment in BTC?

That's a good remark. I see Strike as a necessary product for the transitional period where more and more merchants start accepting Bitcoin while users are slowly catching up.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 19, 2021, 01:32:50 AM

I don't think that the majority of users will ever need to know how complex the Lightning Network is under the hood. BlueWallet provides a good experience for users who don't want to bother with managing their own channels. Strike has taken an even bolder approach and might actually be able to get ordinary people onboard. The user needs only to scan a Bitcoin or Lightning invoice and it will be automatically paid by Strike. The user doesn't even need to own any bitcoin; their credit card is charged instead.

That is good to know. The more wallets like the ones mentioned, the better it'll be for the Lightning Network's adoption in the mainstream world. Basically, Bitcoin has all it takes to become an "All-in-one" solution. It's only limited to developers' imagination. The Lightning Network will be used to process micropayments on the Bitcoin, while the RSK sidechain will be used for Bitcoin-based smart contracts. If only merchants, businesses, and companies made use of these technologies, Bitcoin would've reached a greater audience.

At least, there's diversity on the market. This is a good sign for Blockchain tech's long-term sustainability. The more projects there are, the stronger Bitcoin and Blockchain tech will become. I believe that altcoins will serve as testing grounds for Bitcoin. Developers can test new features on an alternative blockchain before they integrate them into the Bitcoin blockchain (if they wish to do so). Consider how Litecoin became one of the first (if not the first) cryptocurrencies to adopt SegWit. After it became a success on LTC, developers decided to activate it on Bitcoin for miners to signal their approval. It didn't take long before SegWit became fully activated on the BTC blockchain. With how far altcoins have gone, I don't think Bitcoin will become the sole cryptocurrency in the decentralized realm. Just my thoughts Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: