Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:03:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some basic questions  (Read 918 times)
tbdunamis (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 04:05:27 AM

Although I have read much of the wiki material, and probably know some of the answers subconsciously, I would appreciate some additional witnesses to the following questions:

1) I have the bitcoin client downloaded on 2 different computers.  How do I, if I can, use the same account on both of them?  For the record, I have only used one of the clients so far (to obtain, but not yet spend, coins), but prefer using the other one.  If I have to ditch one, can I transfer my coins to the other?

2) Suppose I need to do an OS recovery on my computer, and have to re-install the bitcoin client.  How do I recover the public and private keys, or are my coins lost?  For the record, I have downloaded the truecrypt program, so I can make a backup of my wallet on a thumb-drive.

3) How can I access my private key?  The only key I see in the client is the one in the receive coins page, which should be the public key, as private keys usually begin with a 5 (according to the wiki).

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and responses. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 06:10:16 AM

1) I have the bitcoin client downloaded on 2 different computers.  How do I, if I can, use the same account on both of them?  For the record, I have only used one of the clients so far (to obtain, but not yet spend, coins), but prefer using the other one.  If I have to ditch one, can I transfer my coins to the other?
It's not recommended to try to use the same wallet on more than one machine. Consider using remote login or an eWallet service.

To move permanently to a new machine, you need to locate your wallet.dat file in Bitcoin's application data directory and move it to the new machine. Make sure that Bitcoin in the old machine doesn't try using the file after you've copied it. The first time you run Bitcoin on the new machine with the copied wallet, use the -rescan parameter.

2) Suppose I need to do an OS recovery on my computer, and have to re-install the bitcoin client.  How do I recover the public and private keys, or are my coins lost?  For the record, I have downloaded the truecrypt program, so I can make a backup of my wallet on a thumb-drive.
After you reinstall Bitcoin, delete the wallet.dat file it has created and put instead the file in your backup. Use -rescan the first time.

3) How can I access my private key?  The only key I see in the client is the one in the receive coins page, which should be the public key, as private keys usually begin with a 5 (according to the wiki).
This isn't something the Bitcoin client supports. You can use pywallet for that.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
tbdunamis (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 01:59:09 PM

Thanks for your answers.  However, you've created one more question, which is probably a duh one:  How do you -rescan?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 02:06:40 PM

Thanks for your answers.  However, you've created one more question, which is probably a duh one:  How do you -rescan?
Assuming you're on Windows, one way to do it is by editing the Windows shortcut that runs Bitcoin. If you open the shortcut properties you should find that the target is something like
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe"
Replace this with
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -rescan
And run it. Afterwards you should remove the -rescan from the link (loading will be slower if you keep it).

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
tbdunamis (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 11:17:32 PM

Yes.  I am running Windows.  Thanks. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: