Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:37:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Casascius 10 BTC Silver Round is here! (PIC)  (Read 5291 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 08:49:27 PM

29 BTC
Comes with the gift box and capsule.  (Wondering how much interest there is WITHOUT the box - approx. 2 BTC savings - still would include the clear capsule).

This is a limited release at a limited price, available for immediate shipment.  There are only 40 of these as pictured.

The regular run of my 10 BTC Silver round has 24kt gold plating on the B so it stands out!  The factory is plating the B's on the rest of my order now and I'll have them next week - I picked up just the 40 to help make sure Christmas shoppers could get theirs in time.  The coin will cost about 4 BTC more with the complete gold B and I plan to stop selling the non-plated one when they run out.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ALPHA.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 08:59:16 PM

This is so tempting. Must resist... diversifying... Bitcoins... into Silver...

*holds hand away from keyboard*
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 09:15:11 PM

Awesome Mike!  I'm buying one right now...

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 09:51:54 PM

This is beautiful.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 10:46:03 PM

these are cool, will make a nice gift! ordering a few
Vince Torres

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 10:47:09 PM

Very nice, might order a few.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 10:49:12 PM

Is the clear capsule sealed shut or just pressed together (and can be opened)?

I'd like to order one of these without the gift box, if that's possible.  I'm tempted to order now, but I'll wait until I hear back from you on skipping the gift box.

Thanks.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 10:58:35 PM

Is the clear capsule sealed shut or just pressed together (and can be opened)?

I'd like to order one of these without the gift box, if that's possible.  I'm tempted to order now, but I'll wait until I hear back from you on skipping the gift box.

Thanks.

The clear capsule is not sealed shut.  They seem pretty good.  They aren't too difficult to open, but also seem like they will stay shut and not open very easily by accident.

To order without a gift box, just order, underpay by 2 BTC, and write in the notes NO GIFT BOX.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:07:56 AM

Heh. It's strange how the ounce of silver is worth about as much as the 10 BTC contained. But this time, it might not be like with the silver coins of the past -- the face value might totally dominate in the future. Wink Should Silver finish crashing, and Bitcoin prevail, maybe you'll make all the coins like that. When nobody needs silver for speculation anymore, it can still serve its classic purpose like that. Grin

BTW, no offense, but your marketing has gotten worse. The main casascius.com website is missing photos of:

• 25 BTC backside
  • 1 BTC Series 2 hologram
  • Gold plated bar
  • Any of the coins' insides
  • 10 BTC + 1 ounce silver round, both front and back
  • Gift box included with the silver coin

But you have many of these photos! Put them on the site, lol!

IMO, you need a little info page with pictures for every product. And a few good pictures, with different lighting. It really should help selling them, don't make it look as if there are flaws to hide.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 12:14:44 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2011, 12:24:54 AM by casascius

BTW, no offense, but your marketing has gotten worse. The main casascius.com website is missing photos of:

You are 100% right, I have been swamped with orders, and have neglected to take steps that would open the floodgates even more.  This is probably why MemoryDealers is selling a ton of this stuff - they are actively marketing it, and I am just passively accepting orders (and posting on the forums of course).  I think they blew through their first order of 10 gold bars in 1 or 2 days.  I do need to take some good photos of this stuff and post it, I agree.

As you can see, I am also getting away with charging an outrageous price.  I have to, just to keep it in stock.

Another thread suggests somebody should start doing this so that "Casascius" isn't the only game in town.  I sort of agree.  The demand for this stuff is hot enough I am practically inviting competition... The whole reason I did this was mainly to promote bitcoin and to prove it can be done... mission accomplished.  I just hope that any competition does the job right and doesn't have any scandals or cause Bitcoin any bruises or black eyes.  Anyone who wants to get in on the game and seriously has the capital and resources to do the job right is welcome to pick my brain for assistance.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:24:52 AM

it just .. gets .. better!

awesome job, Mike.

btw: was giving away 2 casascius coins and sold 3 at the conference. Demand was high, could've sold much more, but only took some. Too bad delivery to Prague didn't work out.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 12:30:05 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2011, 12:49:11 AM by casascius

it just .. gets .. better!

awesome job, Mike.

btw: was giving away 2 casascius coins and sold 3 at the conference. Demand was high, could've sold much more, but only took some. Too bad delivery to Prague didn't work out.

Europe is totally underserved.  Huge demand, but it's not as practical for Europeans to buy coins from me.

Someone who wanted to take a boatload of my coins to Europe would sell a ton (especially the higher value items) because people are apprehensive to order them straight from me, if they have to worry about customs, duty, and choosing between worrying about loss/theft versus paying for registered mail or premium shipping.  I notice that I sell far more larger value coins within the US than internationally.

Of course, someone in Europe could also just start making their own coins too, and they would have a market that resembles shooting fish in a barrel.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:30:58 AM

it would look much better if the hologram had silver-colorrs, too. Of course on the other hand: the price is already quite high, that would probably only add to it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 03:31:07 AM

it would look much better if the hologram had silver-colorrs, too. Of course on the other hand: the price is already quite high, that would probably only add to it.

If I thought I was going to be doing silver when I ordered the holograms, I could have gotten silver ones at no charge.  But that's the price of making a spontaneous decision to do these.

likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 03:47:38 AM

Ordered mine earlier today, can't wait to get it! Thanks!

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 04:58:44 AM

To order without a gift box, just order, underpay by 2 BTC, and write in the notes NO GIFT BOX.
Ok, thanks!

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 11:22:12 AM

If I thought I was going to be doing silver when I ordered the holograms, I could have gotten silver ones at no charge.  But that's the price of making a spontaneous decision to do these.

Ah. Well, you can't foresee everything, otherwise it'd be too easy, right?

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 03:02:28 PM

a boatload of my coins
If you're already selling these faster than you can make them, and have to bump the price up in order to keep the sales in check; does it make financial sense for you to sell a large amount to some European reseller?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 03:43:47 PM

a boatload of my coins
If you're already selling these faster than you can make them, and have to bump the price up in order to keep the sales in check; does it make financial sense for you to sell a large amount to some European reseller?

Selling faster than I can make them on 1 BTC coins.  But mailing 1 BTC coins to Europe is minimal risk, they just aren't worth that much.

A European reseller would do well to resell my 25 BTC coins and up.  Their bigger value means I don't have to make as many, which keeps the premium down.  These are also what would be most frightening to buyers to lose in the mail.  A large quantity of them would also make the most sense to send using premium shipping just to make sure they arrive - the cost per piece would be minimized.

I imagine that if someone had bought fifty 25 BTC coins and took them to Prague, they would have sold every one of them at or above the prices on my website, and made a nice little profit as well because I would have given a discount.  Even now that the conference is over, I expect there are probably many potential European buyers who are simply not buying from me due to the shipping cost or the increased potential for loss/theft/customs hassle.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

Ok, I've decided I can do a GOLD COIN too.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53569

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: