Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:23:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin selection strategies & Dust?  (Read 89 times)
Shymaa-Arafat (OP)

Activity: 228
Merit: 156

View Profile
August 13, 2021, 12:56:31 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2021, 02:40:34 PM by Shymaa-Arafat
Merited by odolvlobo (1)

I can add a huge number of references here, but as a start why all the research about coin selection strategies and their effects especially on generating dust UTXOS and the research/talks has almost stopped after a peak say in 2018/2019?
Even the running curves in glassnode & chainlink have stopped.

1-Have these problems being solved for good?
The last Bitcoin core selection strategy I know of is branch&bound and trying to find the nearest sum of UTXOS to the desired spending amount, doesn't that supposed to create more dust?
(If
A-X < B-X, then  A-X has higher probability of being dust)
I've been thinking, infact the dust limit could be overcome along with the coin selection strategy if u take 1 dust UTXO with each TX ( ie, this way it will only cost u its bytes in the TX not a whole TX)
For example, I'm thinking of a coin selection strategy of taking ur smallest UTXO, say a, with the smaller UTXO, say A, that when added to it doesn't create dust:
ie, we search for A,a such that
(A+a)-X ≥ dust_limit
I don't recall now if someone suggested this before, or if it came to my mind from the known heuristics to solve the abstract problem

2-Or is it the rise in Btc price with nearly the same fee rate, VB strategy that divide the size to 4, more even Schnorr signatures is said to use less number of bytes,....
All these factors have reduced the estimates in uptil 1/2020 papers & articles about 10-30% of UTXOS are dust???
3-One more thing, does techniques like Bloom filters, assume UTXOs, caching,... any method that tries to "guess" the needed UTXOS exclude dust ( and burned UTXOs if possible) from their selection set???

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: