Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:22:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Transactions - Record Volume  (Read 1619 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 03:53:45 AM

Anyone else notice this?

http://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume?showDataPoints=false&timespan=&daysAverageString=1&scale=0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:01:49 AM

Yeah, but I don't know what it means.
I prefer the chart of transaction *count*: http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions
It strikes me as a more useful indicator of whether bitcoin interest/activity is rising or falling.

edit: I rather suspect that the transaction volume can be skewed simply by a large provider such as mtgox changing their cold-storage processes.
If they regularly shuffle some amounts in and out of cold storage - does that show up as some really large transactions? I'm guessing it might.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:05:37 AM

Yeah, but I don't know what it means.
I prefer the chart of transaction *count*: http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions
It strikes me as a more useful indicator of whether bitcoin interest/activity is rising or falling.

My chart: shows aggregate sum of transactions in Bitcoins
Your chart: shows quantity of transactions

I think my chart is a better indicator, but yours is important too =)  Both together give a clearer picture of the economy than either of them alone.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 04:08:15 AM

People moving their bitcoins into password protected wallets maybe?

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
julz
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:08:38 AM

My chart: shows aggregate sum of transactions in Bitcoins

Does it know which value in a transaction is the 'change' and which is the actual 'spent' amount?  Does it count both parts as BTC being transferred?
This is part of why I just don't understand what this aggregate chart is measuring.

evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:24:30 AM

Ohh good idea... but I think the jump started before the release of 0.5 (came out on nov 21). Also, you'd expect the highest peak to be right at the release of .5, and also you'd would expect to see a similar jump when .4 came out, because it had new encryption.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:25:03 AM

There was a lot of BitcoinDays Destroyed at about the same time:
 - http://banana.mine.nu/daysdest.html

But nowhere near as much volume on the exchanges ... so that would correspond with moves to encrypted wallets.  Or, there could be a massive amount of bitcoins that were moved to the exchanges, ... just waiting for the rally to tucker out before unloading en masse.  Or there's mixing going on again.  Or an intentional disinformation campaign. Really hard to tell.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

julz
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:29:08 AM

.. or  small transfers from some really large wallets but the 'change' amount is included in the chart??

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 04:33:28 AM

That's been said before when these come up, but does it work that way?  I've never looked at this stuff in depth. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:33:33 AM

.. or  small transfers from some really large wallets but the 'change' amount is included in the chart??

The "change" is not included in that chart. Blockchain.info has one chart WITH the change, and then also they have the one I posted without.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:40:16 AM

The "change" is not included in that chart. Blockchain.info has one chart WITH the change, and then also they have the one I posted without.

How is it possible to determine if there is change if the change address doesn't match one of the input addresses (and I would imagine most don't?)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:45:32 AM

http://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume
Similar to the total output volume with the addition of an algorithm which attempts to remove change from the total value. This maybe a more accurate reflection of the true transaction volume.

Ok.. somehow I missed this note regarding change.  Still.. I wonder just how that works.

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:28:33 PM

http://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume
Similar to the total output volume with the addition of an algorithm which attempts to remove change from the total value. This maybe a more accurate reflection of the true transaction volume.

Ok.. somehow I missed this note regarding change.  Still.. I wonder just how that works.

I suspect that that algorithm is not working properly.

How about that 500k BTC transfer?

Last time that many bitcoins were transferred in the blockchain, it was MagicalTux sending 424,242.42 BTC to prove control of MtGox deposits.
[...]
It was linked in the press thread:  http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/11/17/500000-bitcoins-transferred-in-one-exchange/

And I followed the change to this addresss where it is currently:  http://blockexplorer.com/address/1CKmEA8NcSASCwbByFGQXbsnvWz7K5p7hs

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: