Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:05:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Security on Windows  (Read 1017 times)
matt.collier (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 01:54:38 AM

Hello Developers, thank you for all your hard work!

I currently make a living removing malware from Windows systems.

I know that I am not the first to suggest that there will be (or already is) malware designed to either steal wallet data or just send all the victims bitcoin to the authors own address.

I've been reading that we'll be seeing encrypted private keys in memory and on disk. 

Is that going to be the main line of defense against such a threat? 
Will we be able to specify a "key file" instead of or in addition to a password?
Any idea when this feature will be incorporated into the stable release available on bitcoin.org?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:19:33 AM

Wallet encryption is being tested at this time. It won't protect you from malware that keylogs and copies the wallet. As someone accumulates wealth a safe method is needed. It would probably be some type of Live CD operating system that can only run bitcoin for sending and receiving money with the wallet encrypted.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:59:41 AM

I currently make a living removing malware from Windows systems.

knowing what you know, how many bitcoins (or dollar equivalent amount) would you allow to be stored on your windows pc?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: