Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:25:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 81 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2)  (Read 146879 times)
fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 02:06:54 AM

Also, If I might ask BFL a second question, how can 32 x 1.05 = 50+ ?    What is the average guy missing?

We've never said or implied that 32 Singles constitute a 50gh/s Rig Box.  The street brawl logic of the previous thread came to that conclusion on it's own and left little opportunity for correction.

The Rig Box product uses different chips than the Single.  That's the simplest explanation.  The 32 expansion points allow different generation cards to be used along with the core interchangeably.

Regards,
BFL

I'm confused, I really thought you did say that the rig box consisted of 32 Bitforce singles, but I see no mention of that on your website now.

Found one quote:
BitForce Single PCB's are used in the Rig Box platform.  However, the Rig Box also employs parts unique to itself.  Why would we go to the trouble for such a small market?  We didn't.  Our product design is influenced by other factors beyond hash mining.

I guess you're saying that the same PCBs are used, but loaded with different chips. If that's the case, will you sell "rig box singles?" Will you sell a rig box with regular Bitforce singles?

Also, what other markets are you selling to? What other applications are there for this hardware?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 01:13:21 PM

we didn't start this thread or announce ourselves at all...We were discovered in mid development by a few in the bitcoin community...we put up a pre-order page to keep it orderly...gmax heard about our project and posted...we hadn't expected to enter the market at the time our project was discovered.

You launched a website showcasing your product and you're surprised that it got found out? Before gmax, how did the "few in the bitcoin community" find out about your product? Did you expect them to be quite about it?
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 03:44:00 PM

I'm confused, I really thought you did say that the rig box consisted of 32 Bitforce singles, but I see no mention of that on your website now.

And there never was.  It was merely crowd speculation in the last thread borne out of all the mindless scam chanting.  Somebody would make a reasonable (but innacurate) point of speculation, then someone else would take it as fact along with other "facts" and stretch it to a backwards conclusion.  Crowd wisdom would then just nod in self agreement.

Really, it was marvelous to watch...  and frankly, I expect it to start up again until we ship in volume because there's no practical consequence for being wrong.  

I guess you're saying that the same PCBs are used, but loaded with different chips. If that's the case, will you sell "rig box singles?" Will you sell a rig box with regular Bitforce singles?

Also, what other markets are you selling to? What other applications are there for this hardware?

The Rig box uses a core comprised of chips different than those used in our Single.  Single cards (and chips) are stacked on top of the core to achieve sum total performance.  A later version of the Single may use different chips, but that has yet to be determined.

To get an idea of target markets, consider the fields of medical imaging, medical research, security applications, financial  (monte carlo calculation clusters), Institutional Boinc, etc.  However, regarding SHA specific market applications, I'll leave that to the imagination.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 03:48:25 PM

Thank you BFL for coming to post and answer our queries in this thread. Hopefully the flame wars and betting will stay out of this one.

My one question is this : How come all the three variables have changed for the worse since your "announcement" ? The power has increased, the price has increased and the performance has decreased ? This does seem like false advertising to me and does not inspire confidence. What if a salesman told you a car can go 200 km/h but the car only does 160 in real life. You would not be pleased.

The pre-order people expect the figures you have been posting at the beginning, namely $500, 20W and 1 Gh/s. If you fail to give them that then you are not to be trusted IMHO.

Good luck and hope you deliver those claims.

Thanks for coming here to cooperate with your customers !
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 03:50:26 PM

Will there be another test with Inaba before you ship out the units ?

worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:07:59 PM

I hope that there will be another test soon, at least we know what to look out for.
BFL

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 04:09:10 PM

Thank you BFL for coming to post and answer our queries in this thread. Hopefully the flame wars and betting will stay out of this one.

My one question is this : How come all the three variables have changed for the worse since your "announcement" ? The power has increased, the price has increased and the performance has decreased ? This does seem like false advertising to me and does not inspire confidence. What if a salesman told you a car can go 200 km/h but the car only does 160 in real life. You would not be pleased.

The pre-order people expect the figures you have been posting at the beginning, namely $500, 20W and 1 Gh/s. If you fail to give them that then you are not to be trusted IMHO.

1.  The price didn't change for the people who took advantage of the pre-order offer.  
2.  We're currently running stable in the speed range specified.
3.  The power will likely be higher by an as yet determined margin.

In sum, only one of the three is changing and as stated in our pre-order terms, performance is guaranteed to meet the specifications listed or the order can be canceled for a full refund.

BFL

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 04:15:48 PM

Will there be another test with Inaba before you ship out the units ?

We will conduct additional public demos with Inaba as we are able.  Video will also be published.

worldinacoin

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:16:27 PM

1.  The price didn't change for the people who took advantage of the pre-order offer.  
2.  We're currently running stable in the speed range specified.
3.  The power will likely be higher by an as yet determined margin.

In sum, only one of the three is changing and as stated in our pre-order terms, performance is guaranteed to meet the specifications listed or the order can be canceled for a full refund.

When do you expect the full product to be launched?
BFL

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 04:18:45 PM

Thats the sort of question that can really get me in trouble.  Smiley  If all goes on schedule with this final step, we'll be making deliveries at the end of this month.

BFL

worldinacoin

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:22:30 PM

Thats the sort of question that can really get me in trouble.  Smiley  If all goes on schedule with this final step, we'll be making deliveries at the end of this month.

BFL

Apologies, but really anticipating the launch
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:29:35 PM

BFL

hellyeah

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
fred0

Activity: 349

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:42:19 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2011, 12:28:07 AM by fred0

The BitForce Saga Act III - The Crisis

Grandson: I just met BFL.

Granny:  Oh, and what did that nice man have to say?

Grandson: He said that they may need change the power specs from 19.8 to betwwen 30 and 60 watt.  But that they are still working on the problem, so time will tell.

Granny: Wh-what!! This throws off all my mining calculations.  Oh, how will I be able to afford my medication from Silk Road?

Grandson: Relax Grandma.  Although we pay $0.20 kWh, at current difficulty, the cost to mine one bitcoin will be $0.30, and likely less.

Granny: OMG, that's triple our original projected cost per bitcoin.

Grandson: Well, these numbers are not too good to be true, therefore, could it be, NOT a scam?

to be continued ?
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:55:55 PM

Where did the original power projection of 20W come from ?

How come it was changed so drastically and now predicted to be around double the original amount or around 50-60 watts ?

Did you mean that each chip consumes 20W ?
fred0

Activity: 349

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:58:34 PM

How come it was changed so drastically and now predicted to be around double the original amount or around 50-60 watts ?

http://butterflylabs.com/products/
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 05:01:27 PM

From what I understand, that was the expected load based on 'normal' FPGA work, however mining resulted in higher power usage, which is to be expected to be honest.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
worldinacoin

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 05:04:11 PM

I do not think it is really that "drastic", 20w to 60w doesn't really add up much to the running costs.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 06:44:56 PM

http://butterflylabs.com/products/

His question was not 'where did the forum speculators get that number from". It was "Where did BFL come up with the original 19.8w?" that is stated as the maximum power draw for the unit...

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 06:50:09 PM

I do not think it is really that "drastic", 20w to 60w doesn't really add up much to the running costs.
It's the difference between being having much better power efficiency than the existing non-vapourware options and having noticably worse efficiency. I'm not sure that this would have gotten quite so much attention if they'd claimed 60 watts in the first place.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 09:39:41 PM

I don't mean to be skeptical (still) but all of their numbers appear to be 'projected numbers'. From what they are saying, they are currently not hitting/not capable of hitting these numbers, so they make less optimistic calculations, and again, and again. People probably won't get 1.05 G/H at 20W for quite some time in that case.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 81 »
  Print  

Jump to: