Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:28:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tor connection getnetworkinfo score  (Read 171 times)
giusebage (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 26

View Profile
August 16, 2021, 05:36:36 PM
Merited by HCP (5), hugeblack (4), NotATether (2), ABCbits (1)

Hi everyone. I started running a node on a RPI4. I setup Bitcoin Core to 0.21.1 to fully run over Tor by setting up the HiddenService in the /etc/tor/torrc configuration file. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but when using bitcoin-cli getnetworkinfo while everything seems working fine, the relative score is always 4. Do you observe a similar behavior on your side? If not, how can I correct this? Thank you in advance.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 16, 2021, 07:53:50 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2021, 01:06:58 PM by AdolfinWolf
Merited by hugeblack (4), o_e_l_e_o (4), pooya87 (3), vapourminer (2), ABCbits (2), NotATether (1)

My testnet node also has a score of 4 and works fine but I have no idea what this means exactly or how my node is affected by this nor how exactly it is calculated.

it seems like it indicates how reliable your node is to? other nodes as per https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/70190/what-does-score-tell-me-in-getnetworkinfo

on the SE this answer is constantly referred to though it does not really give any more information

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/53456/does-having-a-pruned-node-reduce-its-network-score/

though I'm pretty sure that that is wrong, since my node currently has more than 4 incoming connections* concurrently, let alone historically?

giusebage (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2021, 06:18:50 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2021, 06:34:21 AM by giusebage
Merited by HCP (5), o_e_l_e_o (4), ABCbits (2), hugeblack (2), NotATether (1)

Thank you for your reply.

I have tested many things trying to find the root cause to this problem, but I was not able to figure it out. Initially I thought it was due to a wrongly setup Tor, but I must have reinstalled Tor and followed the steps in various guides at least four times.

I think it might be due to a Tor <-> Bitcoin interaction. I've gone in the source code like here in the stackexchange.

I'm not familiar with Mutex objects, but it seems to me that mapLocalHost and cs_mapLocalHost are not working as they are supposed to. While this relative score is not really a big deal because I still have some inbound connections and the 8 + 2 outbound, I'd be curious to understand the root cause of this behavior.

edit: Typos.

darkv0rt3x

Activity: 1204
Merit: 652

I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees

View Profile
September 14, 2021, 09:28:13 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2021, 09:42:33 PM by darkv0rt3x
Merited by NotATether (1)

I think that is not supposed to change behind Tor. I have asked the same here sometime ago and if I'm not mistaken, some bitcoin dev (maybe achow) told me that it is not supposed to change when running behind Tor. If I find the thread where I ask that, I'll link it here!

PS: Well, I can't find anything. Maybe that was told me in some chat conversation or if I just can't find it.

Bitcoin is energy. Bitcoin is freedom
I rather die on my feet than living on my knees!
giusebage (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2021, 01:36:10 PM

Thank you very much. Yes, I saw your old post but couldn't get to the end of this rabbit hole. Thank you very much!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: