Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:11:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am in the process of opening a Bitcoin-accepting computer hardware store...  (Read 5984 times)
Need2Revolt

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 03:12:09 PM

i second most of the idea expressed already, like:
general HW,
mining GPUs,
consumptibles (mouse, dvds)

and i'll had ready assembled pc, maybe with the opportunity to custom choose the hw in them. you need to check shipping costs though...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2011, 04:13:44 PM

Hm, I see. Well, when I see that ordinary consumers can purchase from these guys, I assume they have to raise their prices for retail overhead. I'll consider them regardless.

Thanks.

That is the problem.  15 years ago I could go to a local distributor and get computer stuff at WHOLESALE.  I was almost always paying less then the lowest price the public could buy at.  Now that is not the case.  A true wholesaler like ingram micro or many others sells at a similar or higher price then newegg and the like.  Even buying in bulk does not help on anything but things under $20.  Shop around, you will not find a wholesaler that will get you a high end video card cheaper then you can get doing a google search that anyone can buy from, even in quantity five.

Now on the cheap stuff like cables, mice, keyboards it is different.  I can buy in bulk and get a fair markup. 

Last year our last local (I should say semi-local, they were 60 miles away) case distributor closed, they would bring a truck with 20 cases all in perfect condition with no UPS abuse.  They had  price cheaper then anyone else with shipping as they took the $5-$10 per case ups fee out of the equation.  Even that is gone now. 

­­­Atlas_

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 05:47:34 PM

With all due respect, you are incorrect. There are distributors who are in business to sell directly to retail at prices lower than the MSRPs. You just have to have minimum purchases over $1000 or so.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2011, 06:03:45 PM

With all due respect, you are incorrect. There are distributors who are in business to sell directly to retail at prices lower than the MSRPs. You just have to have minimum purchases over $1000 or so.

That is not what I said.

I said that there are not distributors for computer gear that sell it for much less then THE GENERAL PUBLIC can buy it online for (with the exception of cheaper items). 

Again... go to distributors big and small, price current hard drives, video cards, ram, cpu's, dvd drives, power supplies.   Check order price with $1000 order and you will find that a customer can shop online and buy it at nearly the same cost.  Newegg, tiger direct and others will often have prices BELOW the distributor prices. 

I never said anything about MSRP which has basically lost its meaning.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: